Dogomania

Sled Dog Summer Camp!

Allot of people have asked me what my sled dogs do in the summer, so here is what happens at Snowfoot Kennel:
As soon as the snow melts and it dries up a bit, everybody is let loose in the dog yard(about a half acre fenced) and all the houses are cleaned out, washed and allowed to dry. All the dogs who are shedding get a good combing out (the local birds love this- every nest in the area is lined with soft husky undercoat :D ) Toenails are clipped, pad fur clipped and ears washed . We usually re-arrange the houses so just about everybody gets a new neighbour. The houses get cedar chip bedding, and any repairs that are needed. Some like the way their houses taste... :o
During the summer, they all get loose at least 3-4 times a week and have a kiddie pool to swim in and footballs to chase. A couple times everybody gets loaded in the truck and we take a trip to the lake for a swim. Otherwise there is allot of napping, hole digging(A husky specialty :cool2: and games of "collect the dishes". What this involves is that food dishes are passed around as play things, and there is always one or two dogs who, once they get a dish, won't pass it on and end up with nearly all of them. :wink: Along about September when the weather gets cool, we start training again - this year we are hoping to compete in the Beargrease 150 in N. Minnesota. Hope everybody (at least in the N. Hemisphere, has a great summer!)

• 1 month later...

Thats what I would like to do in the summer too. Bear is my main consern because he lives outside near the swamp. Since I don't have a kennel yet he is tied on a chain. I have to do a lot of repaires on his house because he also likes to eat it. The holes he digs is horrible! One is so deep we thought he was going to china :lol: . What type of collars do you use. I have been experimenting so I bought a Hunter Nylon buckel collar at the pet store. It's getting streched but it seems to be o.k. I won't let him wear leather because riley had a leather collar and he snapped it clean in two and almost got hit by a truck! Bear loves trowing his food dish in the air and burying it. He sometimes gives Dixie a dish or toy for a present. I might start bringing him to the brook for a swim. :wink: