Dogomania

Yet ANOTHER cop shoots dog story!

JackieMaya

Can you even believe this one?

CLEARLAKE, Calif. -- A dog named Dosha may have as many lives as a cat.

She was hit by a car, shot in the head and kept in a freezer for two hours, but she survived and is now doing well under a veterinarian's care.

Local animal groups and the Humane Society of the United States have begun fund-raising efforts to pay for her care.

Last Tuesday, Dosha was hit by a car. A police officer reported to the scene and no one could tell him who owned the dog.

Officer Bob MacDonald shot the dog, apparently to save her the pain of her injuries. Dosha, presumed dead, was taken to Animal Control, where she was put in a freezer.

``Apparently, it was assumed dead,'' said Denise Johnson, Animal Control's interim director. ``I went to the freezer and found that she was alive and cold.''

She had hypothermia and a gunshot wound, but no broken bones from the car accident, Johnson said.

Police are investigating.

I am sooo outraged! Especially because I live in Cali. I watch the news all the time and they never said about this. Which is not suprising because the news here in cali is very selective in what they show. And I can't belive he shot the dog iinfront of all thoes people AND a child! what I want to know is if the dog had a collar? I'm assuming not because no one has claimed the dog. I am soo going to write a letter to them and give them a peice of my mind. :evil:

ANd didn't they check for a heartbeat on the poor dog before the stuck her in the freezer?! :x

What is with these gun happy police officers shooting dogs lately???

Our local news here in Michigan picked up this story. They showed video of this very lucky girl. She is a beautiful dog and extremely friendly and happy in the video! :lol:

Some people just don't have any common sense or caring spirit at all! :evil:

Here is an update on Dosha.

CLEARLAKE, Calif. -- Dosha, the dog who survived being hit by a car, shot in the head and thrown in a freezer, can go home soon.

The tenacious canine was given a clean bill of health by her veterinarian on Monday. She will be allowed to move back in with her owner, Louetta Mallard, as soon as a better fence is erected to keep her from escaping from Mallard's yard, according to Debra Sally, the owner of the Clearlake Veterinary Clinic.

Dosha has been at the clinic since April 15, when she escaped from her yard and was hit by a car. A policeman shot her because he said she was in pain. She was taken to an animal shelter and put in a freezer for disposal, but about two hours later, a worker at the center opened the freezer to find Dosha standing up in a plastic bag.

Dosha's head was x-rayed Monday to check her right ear, which Sally feared had been damaged by the bullet.

``Everything looked OK,'' she said.

Local animal welfare groups have raised enough money to cover Dosha's medical expenses, Sally said.

[img]http://www.startribune.com/stonline/images/news99/dog25.l.jpg[/img]