Dogomania

To Greet or not to greet !!!

ellieangel

Hi everyone I'd like to pick your brains for a mo !
I have had conflicting advice/views etc about this subject and i would like your opinions please !
When you come home after leaving your dog/s how do you greet them-if at all.
I was advised when having separation problems with my springer that i should blank her for 5 minutes or so when re-uniting with her as this would play down the fact that we had been apart,using this and other methods too she has improved no end and 9 times out of ten can be left for a couple of hours no problem.
But now and again i will return home to howls ! :roll:
This isn't really a major problem any more I just think she gets a bee in her bonnet now and again !!
I would be interested to hear your opinions on the greeting issue though,I know of other people who have no separation problems at all and greet their dogs profusely which is lovely to see. :)
I would really appreciate your views on this,
Thanks xxx

Neither of my dogs have seperation anxiety (thank God). When I come home from school, both dogs are in their pet taxis located by the back door (my mom comes home from work on her lunch break and lets them outside so they aren't in there too long). I take Shadow out first and she goes nuts when she sees me so I hug her and kiss her... he he. Then I take Rocky out and he's more calm and layed back but he still gets hugged and kissed.

I wouldn't know what to do for seperation anxiety, and I don't have any experience for that so I couldn't tell yea.

See I think what I'm looking for here is a good excuse for doing the huggy kissy bit !! :lol:
All that worries me is that if I do fuss her when I come home will she start to miss me more when I'm not there :-? -I don't want to take a step backwards but I hate blanking her too !!
Keep 'em coming !!
Thanks PG xx

You will need to blank her for the first 5 minutes or so, make sure she sits and doesnt get all hyper when you come in. After that, however, you can
give her a command like "Huggies!!" and make a big fuss over her and you should be ok. It's the initial "walk through the door greeting" that yu have to control

I'm Guilty as sin! When I come home I always let Zebra jump up and down and run all around. I do let him calm down a bit before I give him a hug. I had to learn this the hard why when one day i came home and crouched down and he knocked me on my bum because he was so happy to see me. But Zebra does had seperation anxiety and he tares up the house when he is left alone. But he is getting better at being a good boy. I just can't help it when i get home, because i'm just as happy to see him as he is me. :fadein:

Well when i have been out and come back home i greet my dogs with lots of fuss and even take them a little something back with me,they greet me with the same love and fuss i give them.my dogs would be so hurt if i left them for 5 mins befor i greeted them.its the frist thing i do when i get home they greet me and i greet them wouldnt have it any other way.must admit its a mad 5/10mins but worth it.you wouldnt leave a child 5mins when you got back to greet it would you. :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: I look forward to going home knowing my dogs are waiting to welcome me.

As you know I have 3 dogs, 2 Jack Russells and a Rott/Lab mix.
Normally I don't usually leave the house , but when I do and come back !!
Holy Cats I would be attacked first thing coming in the door, they were so excited to see me ! Jumping , clawing, barking, biting each other trying to be the first at me !! TOTAL CHAOS !! :o
So I started ignoring them when I first come through the door, set my things down, take off my coat and shoes, etc.... And when they calmed down then I would acknowledge them and it is oh so much more pleasant !! :)
Now when my family comes in from going out , they run right past me and attack my Husband because HE lets them attack him. I've told him to just ignore and they will learn not to do the same to him , but he has told me he likes all the whoo ha , and excited attention he gets from them.
So be it.... to each his own !! :lol:

I am a terrible one for making a BIG deal out of greeting my Dogs...in the winter I keep my Rottweiler in the house and I have a big kennel for my Newfoundlands (I have a baby barn set up with a partial wall and a heater- for winter) in the summer my Rottie stays out during the day with the Newf's (in the summer I have a fan set up in the baby barn to keep things cool)
I first go to the house and greet my Rottie, then I go out and bring my Newf's in...I make all the weird noises and scratching of the belly. My Rottie does not jump on me when I come home (my Newf's do though) instead my Rottweiler has gotten this bad (but very cute) habit of pushing in between my legs (or whoever else) and standing under you (like she was a horse) so she can get her belly & chest rubbed....I have not had any problems with seperation aniexty...and my Rottie & Newf's seem to know when I am going to work and when I am off for the day and should be spending it with them! I think its the signals I unintentionally give off...when I have to go out...its all business...when I'm off for the day and am going out to meet a freind for coffee or shopping etc I think I give off a guilty signal...my Rottie especially (she is very in tune with me) she picks right up on my guilt and makes a big deal when I leave to have fun...work days she walks me to the door then turns around and goes back to bed (my bed) my Rottie has the run of the house when Im gone to work.
My Newf's as long as they have bones to keep occupied seem very content in their kennel while I'm gone, they also have room to play in the kennel, cost me a fortune but I had a very big run built for my dogs..once I had to go in and wake them up to greet me!

I don't think I could ignore my babies when I walk in the door. I love how excited they get when they see me, even if I was only out for a short time! My lab is usually the wilder of the two. She loves giving sloppy kisses, and when she wags her tail her whole body wiggles!!! But they both get as much attention as I can give them when I walk in....even our cat gets in the middle of it all!!! :lol:

Tasha doesn't "like" to be alone, but doesn't have separation anxiety. When I come in the door if I have something in my arms, she waits until I put it down, but if not or when my arms are free I get big "hugs" She jumps up and literally wraps her front legs around my waist with her tounge flicking all over the place. Then she jumps down runs in a circle and comes back jumping up on me. I encourage it, even though I shouldn't because she jumps on people when they come over. I do hold her back and if I know the person doesn't mind, I will let her jump on them, but if they mind I TRY to control her. :lol: Easier said than done as she loves people. But I dont want her to stop because I love getting my "hugs"

Max and Ben don't have separation anxiety, so I have no advice. :( But I do think one of the joys of having furkids is that each time you come home they are so very pleased to see you! What's wrong with a little jostling, lots of tail wagging, a few kisses, and a couple of "ROOS" when it shows how much they are glad you are home? :angel: It's therapeutic!

I do admit that from time to time it can overwhelm guests, but the guys settle down so quickly that it's really not too big of a deal. And I think that most people who visit us are pleased that our guys are so happy to meet them! :wink:

I agree with behle, to receive such an excitable greeting when arriving home is definatley on of the many joys of having "furkids", i love it and wouldn`t have it any other way :D
I can guarentee if i`ve had a bad day, or a stressful day or i`m feeling down as soon as i come through my door and receive such a wonderful greeting from my furbabies all the worries of the day melt away and all i feel is loved :iloveyou: .
i couldn`t ignore them, not even for five mins...............but everybody`s differen`t :wink:

[quote]"My Rottie does not jump on me when I come home (my Newf's do though) instead my Rottweiler has gotten this bad (but very cute) habit of pushing in between my legs (or whoever else) and standing under you (like she was a horse) so she can get her belly & chest rubbed...."[/quote]

Cosmic does that too! :) In his baby days, he used to get so hyper he'd pee. But then we stopped greeting him as wildly and he stopped. Now, I just say Hi Baby! when I'm home, pat him a little and let him settle down some (about a minute?) before I make a fuss of him. Even though I love the big fuss he makes and all that cute wriggling, it's nice to not get peed on!! :P [/quote]

Guest Anonymous

[b]You ARE doing the right thing[/b]!! My chihua/terri mix has the worst case of seperation anxiety. I believe our behavioral therapist explained it like this: It reinforces their idea that your coming home is what satisfies them, then they will get more and more anxious when your away, because they see your're being home only as a positive thing. I relapsed before and after I went to work once my dog got better, and sure enough the problem gradually came back...I had to start over practically. Your coming home should be a calm-happy thing, not a moment of excessive hyperness(andrewarding hyperness at first greeting reinforces that your being gone is a bad thing) I make my dg sit (which as you may know, is hard :roll: ) before i pet her, and i use a soothing voice rather than a too high pitched voice. I know it is hard when everyone else has it so lucky, like most everyone who has written you back, but it really is best for your dog. 5 minutes of ignoring is much better than 4 hours or more of intense anxiety for the dog!!

It is good to hear someone else has problems with this!!![/b]

i guess for me it depends on whether they are in their crates or not when i get home. lady is always out except at night but dresden still has to stay in her crate when we're not home. so lady always does her wriggly sweet greeting and always get's petted and talked to and if dresden is loose (because someone else is home) she gets the same, but if she's in her crate i ignore her or say something and then leave her in there for five or ten minutes because she needs to be more patient and i don't want her freaking out every time i come and go.