Dogomania

Do you feed your dog table food?

huskys4life

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, my husband is always yelling at me when he is home to not feed her. Luckily hes out to sea right now, so she got a nice piece of ham for Easter dinner. :D I know what you mean about the begging, thats why I have tried to stop doing it. Plus the fact that my daughter is walking and when she has food in her hand the dog will try to take it. My daughter likes to share, and loves the dog, so when the dog comes up for some food, my daughter holds out the food to her. :lol: Its cute, but I dont want Tasha taking food from my daughter. You know?

Guest Anonymous

when he begs for it he gets nothing but when he goes and lays down "magically" little tid bits fall from the sky. My rootie is the biggest mooch ever, he will do a bunch of cammands at random to try and get a bite. he will sit, down, shake hands, roll oer and play dead and all you have to do is look at him with food in your hand. no words required!!

:wink:

I think I found a loop-hole around the Alpha always eats first rule. My babies pout while I am eating if I feed them first, they know that they are not going to get any leftovers. If I eat first they are plastered to the ground about 2 to 3 feet from the table and the very second I stand up they are swarming around me.

Yogurt twice a week for their digestive tract.

:angel:

Rott N' Pitt- I know exactly what you mean. Zebra will sit there stairing at you and try and shake or lie down and I don't even tell him too. and if I make any sudden moves he jumps up and thinks he's gunna get some food.

Not to mention that zebra is sooo anoying! he pushes his big ol' head under are arms when we eat so he can see what is on the table better. (and the humane society said he wouldn't be that big! he can rest his head on the table!!!):roll:

:wink:

[quote name='Michele']Rosebud: yogurt? I might try that with my dog. How much should I give him? He only weighs 8 pounds....[/quote]

I guess I probably give the RR's around a 1/4 cup each twice a week. I give my IG approx. a tablespoon. My friend gives her RR's a heaping tablespoon everynight with their dinner. I really don't know exactly how much to give but I have never had any problems since putting them on it and they have very regular healthy systems. They love it, I can't open yogurt without them jumping up and down. I can't say the word yogurt without them running to the frig.

Yogurt helps to replenish the natural enzymes in the digestive tract, it's acidophulus (sp?) same as what they coat good quality kibble with only human grade quality.

I buy the good stuff that is all-natural, nothing added, I do not buy the low-fat.

:angel:

[size=7]guilty too[/size]
mine get table food but mainly mixed in with their food after we`ve eaten :D
i`m really interested about the yoghurt! do you buy yoghurts that have a flavour? if so what flavour seems to be their favorite as im going to give it a go myself! :D

Guest Anonymous

Hazel gets food after we eat, and only if it's okay with her diet.
She also get about a spoon full of home made (NO Sugar added) Yogurt in her BARF every day :wink: But if she begs while we eat, she doesn't get any leftovers. She knows the rules :)

My dad used to give Roxie some leftovers after dinner, and my dad and brothers would always be slipping her stuff from the table. She started to get a little pudgy and she was the worst begger ever! So I started putting her in her kennel while we eat - she used to HATE it, she would whine and drool and go crazy. I made everyone in the family ignore it, and after a few days she realized that no one was gunna let her out and she wasn't getting any table scraps, so she gave up. I always give her one of HER doggie treats when I let her out of the kennel after dinner, and she's seemed to have come to an understanding that when eat, she goes in the kennel. A lot of times she'll even kennel herself up! What a good dog :D
Am I the only "not guilty" one so far??

[size=1]Well...maybe I slip her some human food every once in a while....[/size]

Guilty too! I always save them a bit of whatever and they sit and watch each mouthful I take. If I am a bit slow, Sam will give a jump in the air and a bark to tell me to hurry up. Whenever I go out and as this nearly always consists of a fair journey (shopping is 150ks away) I always get a chicken for lunch and the dogs share. Last week the dogs and I had to go to my son's place, 500ks away, stayed overnight, got home 8pm. Got the dogs meal first, Sam wouldn't even look at his. 'Oh. oh he's sick!' Just laid on the floor looking sad. Got my meal and Sam came to life, couldn't eat his bit after fast enough. I think he was sulking because I didn't get our chicken when we were away. It is the first time in his nearly 7 years that we have gone on a long trip without getting our chicken treat. What do you think?

Indy never gets fed from the table or from our dinner plates. He knows as soon as I have finished and stand up that it's his turn. Though when we take him visiting with us my B/F's grandparents always sneak him food. He now knows that grandparents are a soft touch and he sticks to them like glue :roll:

However if I have a snack I generally save the last bite for him - though he does have to do something for it, i.e. sit, drop or shake hands etc..

I also give Indy yogurt - no flavour just the natural stuff with no additives.

I give mine any leftovers that are suitable in with his dinner as a little treat.
But, then I also make him people food sometimes, like ready brek in the morning, or scrambled eggs!
He's lucky on sundays, cos theres usually quite a bit left from sunday dinner, so he gets a real treat.
I don't feed him while I'm eating though, cos he begs for it :roll:
Naughty boy!!!

:oops: Both Ben and Max get a little taste of people food from me when I am finished eating. They are very good about it. Ben will lay on the floor beside me just watching me eat - he is so patient. Max is usually somewhere else doing his thing, but he has a early food warning system so always shows up in the nick of time to get his bite! If they don't get a bite they stare at me accusingly and then go away and pout.

I am the bad influence in the house. My husband rarely feeds them treats! :oops:

Sassy, Maisy, and Gretchen never get fed from the table or my plate.
I did that with a previous dog and she was the worst begger..... :-?
So I just decided with these girls I wouldn't start them with bad behaviour.
They do get vegetables, some meat, fruits and yogurt at times with their dry food.
But when I'm eating they don't try and beg off me, because they know better. :wink:

[quote name='K']Ummmm Guilty here too I am afraid....todays handy hint and tip is never give left over Korma to Bulldogs...ok? :oops:[/quote]

[size=7][color=red]Butt cheek alert[/color][/size]

:lmaa: :rofl: :scared:

Tasha begs, lately I have only been giving her food in her bowl sometimes while I'm eating but normally not until after dinner. She still begs though. I make her go lay down. She does the whole sit, shake and lay down without my telling her too, trying to get something. :lol: They are so funny!! I always make her "take it nice" though. She tends to like to snatch.

Bk never got food when we were eating but he frequently gets the leftovers. He is very funny- doesn't like rice, noodles or pasta, but likes the sauce it's covered in, so he will try to lick the sauce off the rice etc. and end up eating it anyway. :) He was so gentle with food that I used to be able to stick a sausage in my mouth and have him take the other end, before he and Rinny lived together and he had competition. He also knows that he can get nicer food off me than anyone else eg. he won't eat a hot chip if I give it to him (he'll wait for the chicken!) but if someone else gives him a hot chip he'll scoff it down. Sometimes I wish he was not quite so smart as he is. :roll: :lol: