Dogomania

Hazel Problems... AGAIN.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Okay, a warning before hand, this may become a very emotional post...

Yesterday, was NOT a good day for Hazel. My mom (and I think so too) thinks a lot of it is cuz she's been getting into the cat food. Every time something else that's not good for her is entered into her diet, she starts to get REALLY hungry, and out of control. Not to mention she's already not the best controlled dog.
The day started out great, she was listening like a charm.
We (Lexie and I) took her down to the lake, at first we tied her up becuase we were preocuppied. She chewed through her leash.
I should have known she was guna do that, and should have brought her chain lead to tie her up for that minute. SO I tied her leash back together. Next she chewed the leash AGAIN. She chewed up her leash about 4 times. FINALLY we just let her off and I'd call her near, and kept a look out for people, dogs, cars ect.
When walking back from the lake (with her leash in a million nots), and guess what's spotted in the bushes. A rabbit. And guess who breaks her leash? HAZEL. SO, as soon as that SNAP happened when her leash came undone, as soon as I saw that flash of brown take off into the bushes, I felt my heart jump into my throat. I wasn't as mad as I was worried. Questions started racing through my head, what if she runs out onto the road? What if she's gone for good? Runs away. What if someone walks by right when were getting her back (it's happened before) and she tried to attack them? What if she runs into the neighbor's place where they have that huge lab, which lets face it, wasn't TOO far away from where we were.
Only ONE thing was on my side, she had a big pink ribbon around her neck (we found it on the side of the road, so naturally, tied it to her :wink: ) so it was easier to spot her with that big pink ribbon.
I LITTERLY SCREAMED. I have NEVER screamed like that before. I remembered how Hazel freaks out when people shout, 'pecially me. Or if I howl, she'll come runnning back. So naturally, screaming high pitched should bring her back. My neighbor's no doubt all heard it, and probably dont' look at me too great now, but I don't really care, all I wanted was to get that dog back. FINALLY she came running back out, We FINALLY caught her. And I was MAD. Glad she was back with me, but I was SO mad. What if something happened?! Then, the unthinkable happened agian, she got lose, again. Took off, AGAIN. So, I screamed. She came back. I still wanted to KILL HER. I didnt' even want to look at her, I don't think I've EVER been that mad in my life.
Not to mention she was COVERED In muck.
So, we get back to the house, and I put her on the back porch, which has the screen door set up at the stairs so she can't get out. Or so we thought.
I put her there so I could calm down before I bath her, and so she could dry off a bit so I could bring her in to at least the bathroom. When I finally calmed down, changed my clothes (obviously I was covered in mud too), and set up the bathroom so I could bathe her. Went out to the back deck, and like and idiot stood there goin "hazel?" and finally was like "OMG, she broke loose... AGAIN" once again all I could feel was rage in me. Okay, the rabbit I can understand a bit, it's more instinct, but this time, she just took off. I guess dog's are a lot more like children then I would have guess :-? Went down stairs, and there she was on the front deck. Now I'm PREYING she stayed in the yard. It's not THAT far fetched of a thought, she's broke loose just to stay in the yard before!
So, I brought her in, warpped a towel around her, carried her to the bathroom, bathed her, brushed her a bit, towel dried her and let her go. (Today I have to do the whole trim feet, ect.)
I went up stairs and talked to my mom about it after stupidly putting my wet dog in my room where she decided it would be fun to sleep on my bed :o My mom finally said something to me that horible as it seems, stuck with me. She said "look at it LOGICLY for once. Not judging by how much you love her. This dog has made a lot of your life hell. Your constantly getting mad at her. People are actually AFRAID to come to our house because of her. She knows what, 80 commands now? But she's STILL uncontrolable." I thought about this for HOURS last nite. I stayed up crying and reading all my behavior books, and thinking about this until I finally came to the conclussion:[b] I can't make this dicission on my own. [/b] :o Yeah, all that for a conclusion that doesn't help me what-so-ever. I love this dog to no end. My whole world revolves around her. If we were to "get rid" of her, find her a new home, I know it would have to be with a behaviorist. But, if there was any behaviorists around here, I'd've tooken her to one by now! Closest one is about 7 hours away, and there's no way my 'rents will drive all that way for her. We'd have to go see the behaviorist more then once, and so it would be multiple drives, and we don't even know how the outcome will be.
If she WERE to find a new home, I would be miserable, and so would she, I know that. When I leave to a friend's house just for the night, she will sleep on my bed, then go and sit at the window, all day and night.
The other option mom gave me was to have her PTS. :o I feel like that's my only option! She's only THREE YEARS OLD! I feel like I've failed her so bad, and in some ways, failed myself too. I keep thinking; [i]so what, are we just guna start all over again because we screwed up on this one?[/i] there's no doubt I'd get another dog, and try my best not to make the same mistakes. But, I don't think I could ever replace my Hazel. I don't want to just "Start over". Hazel's my dog, my best friend, my LIFE.
Oh great, now I'm crying again.
Yesterday at the beach I got tones of great pictures and videos of her. Once I get my animation pro back on here, I'm going to take clips of a video we made her her doing a "back vault" off me, and make it into an animation so I can put it on here for you all to see.
I really hope the best works out in this situation. I don't want to give up on my Hazel, I hate having failed her. Which is worse then failing my parents, friends, and even myself, I think anyway. But I've run out of ideas. I'm just one little person, and I've tried everything for three years, all different things, I've racked my brain raw to find a way to help her. But NOTHING seems to work. I'm not a professional, but I'm the only one willing to TRY something. No one else, my parents, no one, has tried to help me on this, and I finally feel like I've hit rock bottom. :cry:
Sorry for the rant, I really need to get this off my chest.

First, the first two times she got loose were your fault. Never trust a leash that is/has been broken to hold a dog, especially one who you CAN'T have getting loose. I know you weren't expecting a rabbit to come along and her to chase it, but what if it had been another dog and she had hurt it (worse yet, a person. You said you were watching closely, but sometimes even that isn't enough). Second, a screen door is nothing for a dog to tear through (Goo accidentally ripped ours when she pawed at it to come out, there's now a ft long tear in it). The decision of what to do with her is completely yours, and though you may find help from others' opinions, only you really know what the best solution is.

DONT GIVE UP Hazel!!

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT!!!

You may need to change your training a bit. You may need to keep her under tighter control, but dont give up!!

Did you ever consider companion leashing? You leash her on a six foot leash and attach the other end to you whenever you're with her. This forces her to follow you around and obey your commands. I'm going to start it with Freebee for recall purposes. (I have to buy the leash). Dont know if it will work, but it's worth a try!! When you're not with her, keep her either crated or baby-gated in a room. Treat her like a puppy you're trying to housebreak. Then when she's leashed to you, run her through her
whole command stream. Sit Stay come...just dont let her loose until she
has been demoted enough to start obeying regularly..

Best of luck to you!!

:D

Ok, right now you are obviously very emotional and not likely to be thinking as rationally as you might otherwise. Let's just take this one step at a time.

About the cat food... if you feel that has some bearing on Hazel's behavior (or even if not), just simply feed the cat where Hazel can't access the food. We feed our cats on the washing machine. You can feed on a higher surface, or in a room separated off by a child safety gate (the cats can go over, but not the dog). That, in itself, is not such a big crisis and should be relatively easy to solve.

The thing with Hazel is a bit more difficult. I'm certainly not a trainer, but I'm going to give you my input based just on my experiences with living with an "out of control" dog.

It can be done successfully, depending on how much structure and time you are willing (or able) to put into it. I don't know much about how Hazel is restrained (is the yard fenced, is she on a run?), but you need to make sure whatever means you use is as foolproof as possible. Our yard is fenced in with an electric wire running around the inside perimeter of our fence. They can't get close enough to the fence to try to escape. Prior to that (with our "out of control" dog), we used a runner. We ran a very heavy duty cable from one tree to another (can use posts, or any solid, stationary object) and CLAMPED them on. A ticker wheel was put on the cable with a chain running from it and then it was hooked to the dog. She had the run of most of the yard, but was secured (if you want photos of this setup, I can try to photo it... it's still hooked up outside, but I never use it, anymore, since we secured the fence). Of course, you would only want to use this while you can monitor Hazel. It's just a safe way to let the dog out of the house without risking her running off. You have to be able to control the dog 24/7. When you go off again like you did when Hazel got loose, you do need to take something (chain?) that she absolutely can not escape from, or keep her physically attached to you by way of a leash. I have even hooked a leash to my belt straps, so I wouldn't have to constantly be holding it, but the dog was secured to me.

What I'm really trying to say is that it CAN be done... living with a headstrong dog, but you have to try to anticipate ANYTHING that can go wrong and plan for it. My Penny (the one I worry about getting into trouble) can be very determined and she is also extremely dog aggressive. Like Hazel, she is very well trained as far as obedience goes, but I can't "train" the aggression out of her; I can only control it. One of the biggest things I had to work on with her is her recall. That is VERY valuable if she ever runs off. You might want to start over and start [u]very[/u] intensive work with her on her recall. Obviously, she doesn't come when called if she has a mind not to. If you can get her to reliably come to you, no matter what, that will be very valuable. Getting upset with her only reinforces her desire to run. I also have a mini Schnauzer who is certainly no threat to society, but will run if given the chance. I learned that I HAD to be willing to put my emotions to the side ("why, you little... get your @$$ back here NOW!!!") to be able to get my hands on him if he got loose. Trust me, he ain't coming anywhere near me if he thinks I'm upset.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, when you have your bearings about you and aren't quite so emotional, just step back and think of what you could do differently. Again, you just have to be able to anticipate anything that can go wrong and be prepared for it. Having her safely contained (leashed, tied, fenced, housed) 24/7 is the most basic and important thing you can do. Take away ANY opportunity she has to get loose and run off. If she is indeed a dangerous dog and has a potential to attack someone when she runs off, you MUST keep her under control and never, ever let your guard down.

If you think that, for some reason, you can't do it, it may be best to (as you're doing) think of some alternative. My point is that it is possible to securely contain a dog 24/7, but if you don't think you can, you have a responsibility to Hazel to keep her safe, but also to other people and animals that may fall victim to her. I wish I could help with alternatives, but so far, I've been successful in keeping my knucklehead dog secured and it's all come from trial and error. I've had to learn the hard way, too, but the experience has been valuable. My dog is on medication to help calm her down (I was very reluctant to medicate her, but it did help) and I can put my finger on her 24/7. If it ever comes down to it that we couldn't control her, anymore, she would HAVE to be pts because of a law in my state that says you can't rehome a dangerous dog.

I hope any of this makes sense and please understand it's only my input from my experience handling a hard to control, potentially aggressive dog. I do know that as they get older, it doesn't get any better. Good luck and keep us posted.

Ok, I'm the queen of piggyback posting... :oops:

As gooey pointed out, only YOU know what's going to be best for you and your family. I don't want you to think I'm discouraging you at all. I'm just offering some matter of fact thoughts in regard to restraining Hazel. It's up to you to decide if you think it would help you at all.

Again, good luck.

Guest Anonymous

OKay... I talked to one of my friends, well, she talked, I cried. I think I'm calmed down a lot, and thinking more rashonally (sp?)
Goo, I got your PM.
HF - We're goin to build Hazel a pen, which we could probably start very soon, I don't know how to build things, so I have to ask my dad :lol: The grounds still really, REALLY wet, but the snow's almost all gone.
Hazel stays onlead all the time. I thought i FINALLY got rid of her chewing leashes, and REALLY dont' want to go back to using her chain leash, but I have no choice to really. It's the only thing she can't chew through! I'm not evens ure how useful it may be, seeing as how she broke her chian on her doghouse, and it's about half an inch thick :o
She's not allowed in some rooms of the house, the kitchen being a big one (where the cat food is, and the door is SUPOSE TO BE CLOSED all the time, but people always leave it open!! :evil: ). But if she's always "attached" to me, maybe we can work something out. Or start putting the catfood on the one counter that's not for food, or something... I'll talk to my 'rents about that.
I'm NOT at home about 7 hours of the day, for school, and that's when I worry about her the most.
I'm printing out a "BEWARE OF DOG" sign right now too, to put by the door, just in case... cuz if Hazel has the run of the house, Sometimes people come over and i have to RUN to the door before the dog.
That doesn't mean I'm just guna asume people are guna listen to the sign though, I'll still keep her with me.
Thanks for the advice guys... I'll try not to give up... although I REALLY feel like it :o
Every time I try to train her, it always falls out though... I will try SO hard to keep on track... but I also have school and stuff to deal with, so it gets really overwhelming sometimes.

Hazel, for the time you're not with her she should be crated or baby-gated in a room where she cant run to the door, she cant get to the cat food or the counters, etc. She is very headstrong obviously, but you can demote her by proving to her that you are in control at all times. As far as leashing goes, I have a "reel in" leashe that is a basic thick grade wire.
You can let her out on it, or push the "stop" button and reel her in. It can also be locked at any length you want. This would be for outdoors, not in, but I dont believe they can chew thru them. For walking her outside they are ideal. Also, for the yard, youy can get wire runners like was mentioned before, but they have to be securely fastened to a tree or fence so that she cant pull them out. You can also get heavy duty runner's to attach to the line that are pretty much invincible. Also, recallis desperately important, for her safety and everyone elses. She has to learn to come when you call, but never call her in anger. EVERYTIME she returns voluntarily, treat her with something. a ballgame, or something she likes to eat, or hugs and kisses, it doesnt matter. Just so long as you make returning to you the most pleasant thing to happen to her.

Good luck! it takes time and patience, but you can do it!!

:-?

I don't know the history you and Hazel have but I will trust the others that she has come a long way.

One of the things I learned with Sally-Rose was that when I thought she was not going to chew anything up she would. So I would take away the privledge and start over.

What I mean by this is that Hazel needs to earn her freedom, start off by crating her during the times you are away, use the companion lease idea when your home, get her used to having to do what you want her to. Give her just a little bit of freedom and when she doesn't listen to you take it back and start over, keep doing this until she doesn't make the mistakes anymore. I know it will be hard and as head-strong as she sounds like it may take a long time, but she will learn to respect what you want her to do.

Do all the things that will reinforce yourself as Alpha. Don't let her eat before you, don't let her go through doorways before you, make her sit or wait till you tell her to come in, tell her to sit before you pet her. I even had to lay over Sally's back kinda in a mounting position to get it across to her who was in charge. She don't leave my side while in the house and all I have to say to her when she's off-lead is "Sally that's Too Far" if I think she is in danger then I can just say "Come here, NOW!".

I think you and Hazel can overcome this you just have to make sure that she is never allowed to get away with anything, if she gets into the cat's food take away house wandering privledges and re-crate her. Be persistent and consistant.

Good luck

:angel:

First of all, take a deep breath.

Maybe you will have to start over. But not in the way that you're thinking. Start looking at Hazel as a puppy and go back to square one. It won't be easy, and it probably won't be fun, but it might just work out best.

You need to show her that *you* are Alpha. She may be the center of your world, but you can't let her think that. Make sure she understands that she's well below your parents, too; have them employ some of the same training that you're providing. It needs to be across the board ;)

As for breaking leashes and getting loose, here's a suggestion... use a horse lead. The thick nylon/cotton ropes. I've had horses who have tried their hardest to break/chew through these, and it just never happened (unless, of course, you leave them alone long enough ;). If you have a local tack shop, they will have them, or if you'd like, I'd be happy to dig up one of my old ones and ship it to you, if you think this will be a good idea.

A crate may be a good idea. Keep her crated whenever you (or a parent who feels that they will be able to handle her) aren't around and at night.
We did this with Maggie, and one day we just "forgot" and came home to nothing disturbed. As the training progresses, you can provide more and more freedom.

Companion leashing is also a good idea (and also a good way to get a velcro dog!).

When you're out walking, every so often ask for a "sit". We used to do this at every corner.

Hope those ideas helped, and if you have any questions or just need support, feel free to ask, or PM; I know how hard this is. I went through this awful period with my horse, but we got through it (he eventually had to be sold due to financial reasons and the logistics of keeping him boarded at a place where I couldn't ride, but he went to a happy home with no additional basic training necessary ;), and I'm sure that you will, also.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks guys... but really, I've been back and forth a LOT. Once I think maybe I can train her out of it, it just DOESN'T WORK. I'm SO sick and tired of all of this. She's a velcro dog at home, but no where else. This town offers nothing, we have no pet stores so it's kina hard to go out and get a new lead that's disigned for such and such, or anything of the sort. Here, all you can get are nylon leads, collars, treats, and food, thats it. I have SO much other crap in my life right now, that I'd rather not go into detail with, and of course, right in the middle of all that, Hazel decides to go back to her old ways. She WAS getting better... and every time she seems to be getting better, she gets worse, just like that. I'm SO SICK OF IT! I'm sorry, but today she freaked out and climbed on top of the computer! It seems like she's just taken a stupid pill lately!! :evil: :drinking: I can barely look at her anymore without wanting to throw a fit, never mind TRAIN HER! I can't TAKE IT ANYMORE! I'm losing my mind! And the only people willing to help can only lend suggestions over the net! NO ONE ELSE SEEMS TO WANT TO HELP! I'm just one person, still just a kid practiclly, I have so much crap on my plate I just can't take it! I'm sorry, but I'm going nuts! I love this dog tones, yes, and I wish so badly I could just help her, but every time I try to just even get her to SIT I'm ready to boot her one because she just DOESN'T LISTEN! :drinking:

Hi HNM
You say you have loads going on in your life at the mo do you think it's possible that Hazel is picking up on this and trying to be alpha because you are being 'weak' ?
I'm sorry if that sounded unkind it wasn't meant to be I tried to word it differently but I'm not brilliant at this !!!!
Firstly you have had some great advice take it all in but you still have to do it your way ! I think crating is a great idea and I use gates in my house so that I don't have to watch my 2 little monkeys 24/7.
Please don't give up we all feel like that sometimes and we're all here for support.It sounds like you've come so far with Hazel it would be a shame to give up now.
I'll be thinking of you, please try to be strong xxx

I'm wondering how much exercise this dog is getting...I have never had a dog with this type of problem (although I have taken in dogs which had this problem with previous owners)...I keep my dogs very well exercised and they are obedience trained...they have plenty of toys (like a Kong bone filled with cream cheese or peanut butter, or treats, or a femur bone) to keep their over active minds busy...
I had a neighbor with a Siberian Husky and Sheperd which were always getting loose and running away...the neighbors would go searching for them in their car (it was the only way they could catch them, by opening the car door) we took the dogs in and had no problems with them at all (we took them to obedience, did many recall exercises...etc)...the previous owners walked the dogs, but did'nt really give them the exercise the breeds required....perhaps if you have so much going on in your life, and where you are so young it may be better for Hazel to be placed in a new home with some one who can dedicate more time to her special needs...it sounds as though you are the only person willing to try to obedience train this dog...if you are the only one giving rules and every one else is letting her do whatever she wants...she may be a very confused and very bored dog.
I would of course try the suggestions already made in this post..but, sad as it may be...some dogs are just not right for some people...and you may be surprised how well she adapts to a new home which can take proper care of her...If your dog ever attacked and harmed a child (or any one else) how would you feel..you already know you have a problem dog, which you are not handling very well...why jeapordize others...
Another issue which concerns me is how old are you? you mentioned your family will not help you? all concerned should be training this dog and not just leaving it to one individual....I really hope you will hold off on getting another dog until you are older and have your own car...that way you can drive to obedience and not rely on others. I don't think any young person should have the responsibilty of raising a dog on their own...its a Life...not some thing to be used to learn responsibilty.

Guest Anonymous

Cassie - first of all, I'm 15.
Second, lets not go over the "a child can't take on a dog bla bla bla" because we've been through this discussion, it only leads to anger.
Third, Hazel can't just be placed with anyone. It would have to be someone like a behaviorist, but if there was one closer then 7 hours, we'd bring her there to get help.
Also, she gets plenty of exersize, multiple walks a day, plus play, and we do agility and such.
This is why it's so frustrating, it seems like there's no answers...
Even if I had a car to drive, where would I go for obediance? There's NO classes in this town!! There's NOTHING to offer in this town.

ellie - I don't know... never thought about it... but you could be right... and if that's the case, I have no idea how to stop that until whats going on now blows over. :-?

Don't even try to walk her on a "flexi"... if she's at the end of it and someone comes walking by, you'll have your fingers about cut off by the leash as you try to pull her in. I've also heard a couple accounts of them breaking (both the leash and the "brakes" :o ) when a dog bolted after something. If you can't find a horse line, you can make a long line out of rope and a sturdy snap. Get some rope (if you buy it, they should have load limits printed on the reels/packages), something that you're sure can withstand her hitting the end of it at a dead run (it's also good if it's wide enough that it won't cut into your hands while you're holding her). Tie the snap into place, then use electrical tape (or burn the rope, depending on what kind it is) to keep the knot from coming out. You can also put something in the "loop" where the snap is to cushion the rope from the rubbing of the snap if you want the rope to last longer. You can also soak it in bitter apple or one of those other "bad tasting" things to make it less enticing for her. The fact is that you KNOW she is aggressive, and you KNOW she would bite another person or dog if she had even 1/2 a chance. You NEED to ensure that she can't do that to someone(/dog). Training hasn't worked so far (or at least not well enough that she's under control, even), and if she does get loose or does bite someone, that won't be fair (or fun) for anyone; you, your family, her, or the victim. So, if you don't want her to be PTS, you NEED to be sure that she's in a situation that's safe for her and everyone else. You also need to consider yourself, and your own feelings, but don't forget about all the possible consequences of each decision.

Guest Anonymous

Kay... I agree...

[quote name='gooeydog']You also need to consider yourself, and your own feelings, but don't forget about all the possible consequences of each decision.[/quote]

but what do you mean by that part? I got confused.

HNM LISTEN TO ME!!

I worked with a breeder who trained dogs worse than Hazel. Dogs who bit children, dogs who chewed thru fences to get away, dogs who attacked other dogs for no reason. yes, you are 15. Yes, you are sick and tired of this sh**. YOU NEED TO DECIDE! to keep Hazel, or not. If YES, then you need to follow all of the advice previously given. You have a dog with ALPHA SYNDROME. She works fine in obedience because she sees the trainer as Alpha. YOU NEED TO BE ALPHA. Forget the obedience training. forget the agility trials, forget everything except that YOU NEED TO BE ALPHA. I am 46 years old Hazel. I have a son who is failing in school,
bad attitude, thinks he knows everything (typical). YOU have to be the strength. the guiding hand, the firm decision maker. Dogs are easier to handle than kids, trust me....

I know your parents arent helping, but YOU CAN DO THIS. She needs to be crated when you are not there, You need to enforce all Alpha rules on her like mentioned above...Please Hazel - try to think this out. I wil help you in any way I can. PM me if you want.

Hazel I really feel for you and hope things work out for you. In regards to the other problems in your life, talk to your parents explain how important getting Hazel sorted out is and see if they can take some of the load from you in other areas.

I think Courtnek is right, this seems to be an Alpha issue. From what I can gather from all you past posts on Dogo, Hazel is a smart dog and you seem to be very good at teaching her new tricks. But she is basically deciding what is fun to do (doing tricks with you) and telling you to get stuffed about all the more serious stuff. I think you may need to go back to basics and concentrate on alpha training and forget the tricks for a while. From your pictures from the lake you look like you guys were having a blast but unfortunately I don't think Hazel is well behaved enough for off leash fun. It will re-enforce that you are always in control if she is kept on a leash at all times (when out of the house).

Also maybe talk to your parents about building a kennel/run for her. That way she can go in there when you are at school or can't be with her. Also put her in there when people come over. Having people scared to come to your house is not good and Hazel needs to learn that ALL humans are alpha, if she misbehaves when people come over - straight into the kennel.

Hang in there matey and just work on showing Hazel who is boss. She needs some firm treatment and needs to understand what you say goes 100% of the time, not just when it suits her.

I have a couple things to throw in. If she chews through leather/nylon leashes and occasionally breaks chains, perhaps you could always double leash her? As in attaching one chain leash and one leather/nylon to her collar every time. At least that way if she chews though there is still the chain and vice versa. And so she doesn't get caught betweeen the two, bind them to each other with electrical/duct tape? Does this make sense to anyone but me? ( I just got back from work :drinking: . And I believe somone touched on this as well, but you mentioned that she gets better and then relapses, you also mentioned that it is when you are particularly stressed. If you and she are very close, she's probably being bad because she's stressed out because you are.

Hazel,

I'm really sorry, but I don't have much advice :cry:

But to make you feel better, I went through the same frustration and confusion when I just got Rowie...

When we first got her, we had just moved to a new house, so boxes where everywhere, and she'd chew like H*LL! :o Also, after coming back from school, Rowie would nip our hands and arms till they where red! :o She came to us like this, a chewer and a seriuos nipper! I was really frustrated, and confused. My parents whining didn't help either. :-? I just got more and more frustrated! I really couldn't handle it, and nither could the rest of the family. I almost gave up, and thought about returning her to her previouse owner, plus I blamed everything that happened on myself, which just wanted me to end everything. Thankfully, when I got to know Rowie better, I understood what she needed and wanted better, so I get to work. I eased her chewing by putting toys [b]everywhere[/b] in the house, so when she felt like chewing a box or whatever, she had a toy there instead(which was much better than a box in her opinion :wink: ) I also started teaching her "Leave It" on her leash and I started becoming more firm with her. And to ease her nipping(which isn't fully cured, but it's [i]almost[/i] gone :wink:) I started bringing her toys with me to school, so that when we came home, instead of her chewing us, I would give her the toy, or a treat.(Today when I came home she didn't even jump on me! :D I'm so proud!) And so on, plus, the older she got, the more mature, and now, she doesn't chew! :D And the nipping is still there, but I'm working on it! :D

Although this doesn't help( :-? ) I just wanted to show you that I've been through the same, and I know exactly how you feel being a teen myself. I know about all the frustration, homework, not being there for 7 hours a day...Etc. :wink: If you ever need to talk to someone, just PM me k? :D

I am sorry :oops: I did not intend to insult you...it just upsets me when a family takes on a puppy or dog and leaves the rearing to a child...it never works unless every one in the family is involved....I have never read any of your prior post about Hazel...and 15 is not young...once again forgive me :cry:

Any way, I was looking at your pictures of hazel on the beach...lovely dog! I did not realize you had a Border Collie/ herding dog (although I should have realized by the picture on your post..duh!)....this breed of dog (herding dogs) can be a behavior disaster if not trained properly for their breed (depending of course how strong their motor patterns are) I'd
suggest you talk to some one who owns a border Collie/ herding dog...they can some times have behavior problems due to the fact that they need a Job to do....and a person who owns this breed may have all kinds of great suggestions. I was at a sheep farm once and he had Great Pyrenees dogs, they did not live with the family...they lived with the sheep!
Most dog-training books are based on behaviorism, behaviorism is based on the assumption that dogs learn tasks because they seek an external reward, or, they are adversively conditioned to avoid unpleasant situations. With the working breeds...the dog is internally rewarded and the handler's job is basically to manipulate the dogs's location in such a way that the dog anticipates the performance of the pleasurable act....for any carnivore, eye-stalking, chasing biting, and killing are similarly their own reward for performance. This is an important point. The dog gets such pleasure out of performing its motor patten that it keeps looking for places to display it. The animal will search for the releaser of a motor pattern because it gets rewarded so luxuriously for performing. ...for an example when a dog chses a car it is probably not because they are stupid-but rather that the internal pleasure released by chasing a moving car is greater than the pain caused by some human screaming "NO"
I would suggest you speak with some one with this breed of dog...as the motor pattern is different for a herding dog than other breeds. I beleive I heard one person mention before...that he would throw a ball into a corner his border collie's eye stalk-chase was so great once the ball stopped moving the Colle would crouch in front of it...and stay put!

:-?

I am so sorry that you are in a such a difficult situation, I am sure that Hazel can sense your stress and frustration. I really believe that you should listen to Courtnek, she seems to know what she is talking about and could really help you with developing consistancy in Hazel recognizing you as Alpha. It seems as if whenever you have more on your plate than you can handle Hazel takes the role of Alpha; You need to make sure that especially during those times you remain Alpha. Talk to your parents and let them know that it is especially important that you and them agree with and stand behind each other with Hazel's discipline, she needs to have consistancy or she will continue to figure out the loop holes and swindle her way into the role of Alpha.

You will also greatly benefit with learning about behavior problems of Herding breeds. I am sure that there are tons of books on this subject, and I am sure that you would be able to e-mail breeders with questions or check out their web-sites. But in order for this to be successful you have to be ALPHA all the time.

:angel:

[quote name='HazelNutMeg']Kay... I agree...

[quote name='gooeydog']You also need to consider yourself, and your own feelings, but don't forget about all the possible consequences of each decision.[/quote]

but what do you mean by that part? I got confused.[/quote]
I think Goo wants you to think out how you will feel later if you do give Hazel up you would miss her so much, or the guilt if she is pts.
we do care about you and Hazel