Dogomania

Freebee didnt like him....

courtnek

I had the so-called Lab/Weimeraner mix out today to meet Freedee..

First, his foster owner did not tell me the whole truth on the phone.
He is not part Weimeraner (I know what they look like) he is part Pit Bull.
Then she had told me he was neutered, and he wasnt ("musta been a misunderstanding.....") then she had told me
he's really good with other dogs..." I guess that depends on how you define "really good"....He wasnt aggressive, but neither was he friendly,
towards me or Freebee....Then she told me "well, he really doesnt like small dogs..." Freebee is NOT a small dog at 75 lbs....And he acted like he owned the yard as soon as he walked in. She went up to sniff him, and then started to back up and bark. She was afraid, not aggressive. She had her tail down low, wagging, but she was barking at him whenever he got close so she obviously didnt like him. And was afraid of himn. So I said "no, it wont work" and sent them on their way...

He was a very pretty dog, but I have to look out for Freebee. And he wasnt even that friendly to me, which is unusual in itself, but especially from a lab....Oh well.

I'm sorry this didn't work out I was hoping to have a fellow weim x owner to chat to !!! :(
Still your perfect match is out there somewhere,and you're quite right to put freebee first we had to turn down a beautiful goldie because he was all over ellie all the time and it drove her barmy,he now has a wonderful home though with 3 other GR's :)

I am SOOO sad....I have been searching the web at animal shelters looking for a companion for Freebee...they are mostly Pits!! It;'s SOOO wrong...I wish I could take one, and if I didnt have Freebee I would, but because they can be dog aggressive I cant risk it. Rott will understand...

I think there should be training at shelters for adopting these dogs...they would have let me adopt one. even with Freebee and PushyCat...

If I was home all day I could watch them, and intervene if something came up, but I'm NOT!! I have to work!!! I am sooo sad for them!!!

On a better note, I have an enail in on a lab mix named Gypsy....
we'll see what comes up...

Well, sadly, Gypsy didnt work out either. I got an email back that she is dog defensive and needs a home with her as the only pet....

<sigh> I know, I need to be patient, but Freebee seems so - lost -
she goes out in the yard and sniffs all the places he's been, and everytime I come home she has this expectaion look on her face, and he's not with me.....Oh well. I'll keep looking.

Thanks everyone

:)

[img]http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/IL130.1279551.jpg[/img]
Notes: Sammie is a 2 year old, neutered male lab mix. He is a very athletic dog and loves to retrieve tennis balls. Sammie is housebrokenand crate trained and loves the company of other dogs. Sammie's new family needs to be active and give Sammie a chance to enjoy his surroundings. Sammie was crated in a crate too small for him for most of his life. Sammie is in a foster home if you are interested in Sammie please call his foster home 815-455-4610 ask for Kathy.

THANK YOU DAISY!!

I found THREE of them, one male and one female and Sammie. I need to arrange off-territory meetings with them, I think part of Freebee's response may have been because Dexter (The lab/pit mix} was in HER yard....

again, thanks! One of them, Riley, looks exactly like Freebee!! Twins!!

LOL

:D

Not yet, but I have a new concern...

PushyCat seems to be fighting alot with Freebee....nipping at her as she goes by.. anyone heard of this? it almost seems like he is mad that Alex is gone, and is blaming it on Freebee...They have never been this so much at odds.....

:-?

I know you are pretty knowledgable with dog behavior, but how much attention are you giving the babies right now? Is Freebee getting more attention than PussyCat? Who was there first; Freebee or PussyCat? This might be a simple case of jealousy if you are giving Freebee more attention to calm him because Alex is gone.

Sandy (my IG) [u]always[/u] lays next to me on the couch under her blanket, if Pumpkin feels neglected he will sit down right on top of her and not move till I let him in my lap. They don't ever fight but they definately let me know when I've been favoring one over the other.

:angel:

Rosebud, I think you may be right. I HAVE been kinda fawning on Freebee cuz she seems so lost, and I have also been checking her for any signs of
this ilness, so maybe PushyCat is feeling left out. I'll let him sit on the bed tonight too.

Thanks. I am so messed up over this I'm not thinking straight.

p.s. I am putting Roundup (major-strength-kill-anything-alive weed killer)
in the holes that Alex dug, and then covering them with stones so that she cant ever get to them.

Thanks

:-?

I don't really understand the point of the Round-up. I didn't think it was a fungicide. I know it will kill anything, but what if Freebee digs somewhere else. I thought that Alex got a fungus in his eyes.

They sell a fungicide that is for putting in the holes where you plant bulbs, I would look into how safe it is to use around dogs and sprinkle the whole yard with it. You could also buy a fungicide made to use on dogs and spray the yard with it. I only bring this up because Round-up is some pretty strong stuff and I would hate for Freebee to sick from it and grass is hard enough to get to grow in a dogs yard without any other help.

I did a little research for a fungicide, it appears that Blastomyces dermatidis (the fungus that causes Blastomycosis) is pretty hard to get rid of. I found this site and talked to one of the chemist. This product is safe to use on human comsumable plants/vegetables, is approved for use on organic grown fruits/vegetables and will be effective against the fungus in question. I have included the manufactures web link and a number for a company in your area. I didn't ask about price, it might be pretty expensive but it's at least worth looking at. Hope this helps you.

[url]http://www.biosafesystems.com/[/url]

Bio-Select 1-888-205-3137

P.S. I talked to a gardening friend of mine and she said that Round-up will not kill fungus'. A bleach wash like you would do for Parvo might work. I would make sure it really penatrates the soil.

Thank you VERY much Rosebud....I will check out the fungicide co.

They get it by inhaling it from the soil. The spores get in their lungs and then it starts attacking organs. On Alex's case, the organ it attacked was his eyes, but it could have been any one of them. Over time it would spread and affect all of the organs anyway....Alex was a horrendous digger, which Freebee is not, but I am afraid she will "check out" his holes because she misses him...I will put the fungicide or bleach into his holes and then fill them in with stones. I really dont care if nothing ever grows there again. I was thinking of puttint those decorative walkway stones in that whole area so that no dog will ever be able to dig there again.
But I want to get the fungicide and use it on the lawn,.just in case.

thanks again.

:)