Dogomania

weird symptoms

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a puppy he is about 5 months old, recently he developed diareah? and has been having runny stools. just yesterday he went and it had a little blood in it and was more like mucus than poop. so i ran inside and called the vet. his suggestion was to just give water for a few days and see if it clears up. i dont like that answer it sounds, weird to me. I was wondering if you think it could be more serious. he is still very active and bouncy not acting sick or anything he just has weird stools.

thank you for your honesty and opinions

[quote name='Presa4ever']Maybe Giardiasis. Try panacur.[/quote]

Unless you know exactly what you are dealing with and safe dosages, I would not medicate the puppy yourself. Sounds like your pup should SEE the vet along with you taking a fecal sample as others have suggested.
Following the advice in the quote can do FAR more harm than good if you are not well versed on what the problem is and what the cure should be and at what dosage.

That sounds a lot like what my dogs gets often. Did he eat any foreign objects? Any socks or rocks :roll: If nothing strange passes in the next day or two, I would have say to take him to the vet too.

Just giving him water is a little strange to me...... I would think to give him something to move his bowels to see if he passes something.

What kind of dog is it?

A 24 hour fast is often suggested for a Dog with Diarrhea...it gives the Dogs digestive tract a rest..then you can put them on bland food for a couple of days such as drained cooked hamburg with equal amounts of cooked rice....I have never been a fan of fasting a pup though.
[b]But, I am with every one else[/b]. [b]you should take your pup to a Veterinarian [/b]& take in a fecal sample...the Vet will also take the pups temperature. Diarrhea could be an indication of a disease or serious illness such as Rotovirus, Infectious Enteritis, Coronavirus, Parvo, Coccidia, other parasites etc etc...
You should try to observe your pup, so you can mention any other indications of illness...you mentioned your pup is still quite active...I would be very concerned if the pup were listless.
My Dog has had bouts of diarrhea, I have always fasted her for 24 hours and then put her on bland foods. Some times it can be as simple as injesting some thing that is not on his/her regular diet such as milk (most dogs & cats are lactose intolerant), a dog which is upset can get diarrhea for example the dog was in a boarding facility, was in to be groomed or had a scary experience (in the dogs point of view)
Good luck

I think its time you found another vet :o
When Lily had symtoms like them while I was living alone I'd had a shower and was out the door and at the vets within 20 minutes even though I was due at work. I was lucky, it was only a stomach bug and the vet gave her an injection and some paste to put on her food. My cousins dog who also had the same symptoms wasn't so lucky, it died, of parvo.
Find a new vet and take your pup in. Fasting pups should be avoided and a vet that doesn't want to see a pup with such symptoms sounds a little dodgy to me :roll:

Guest Anonymous

It turns out that there was a bacterial infection, nothing life threatening, just real uncomfortable. he is on medication and doing lots better thanks for all the answers and suggestions. we did find a new vet by the way.