Dogomania

Alex's eyes

courtnek

Alex is not doing well - he is almost totally blind now..he walks into walls and cant navigate the stairs without my voice...

He is going to the eye doctor tomorrow...I have decided that no mater what, even if he is blind, unless it is something that will make him suffer, I will be there for him.

I decided that - dogs have been our eyes as guides for decades - if necessary, I will be his "seeing eye" human....I wont let him go unless I have to....he is too special....too gentle...and needs me now.

Please send us good wishes....

this is so unusual - unles he has the disease they portrayed, which I cant figure out how since he doesnt fall into the scenario...

I will let you all know tomorrow.

Alex is gone.....I had to have him put down. His retina's seperated from his eyes, his lungs have the fungal infection, it would start attacking his major organs soon. His eyes were hurting so bad that he wouldnt open them except outside. Theresults of the xray and eye exam were not good. They could start him on antifungal drugs, but they cost $100.00 a week and he would need to take them for at least 8 months.....They could do nothing for his eyes except wait and see, and they might have needed to be removed. And he would have to take pain killers until the eyes were either better or removed....I couldnt put him through all that, knowing that
there was no real cure and they couldnt guarantee any of this would work, or that he wouldnt relapse.

It hurts so bad!!!!

Freebee cant understand why he isnt here, why I cant stop crying....

Even PushyCat is upset....

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Goodbye Alex. I love you, and I'll see you on the Rainbow Bridge....

Oh, Courtnek! I am so sad for you...Tears are flowing...

I have to tell you that you have done the right thing. A few years back my husband and I lost a kitten we had taken into our home to this same infection or something very like it. We tried everything our then vet recommended, putting that little guy through removal of one eye, all sorts of meds, and suffering. To no avail, the infection just continued to spread and when his other eye began to show the same signs I lost it, I called up the vet and said he had to meet me in his office (the middle of the night) to put poor Willy to sleep and end his suffering. I will never again allow myself to prolong an animal's suffering because I don't want to lose him. All the time he had been purring like a freight train was not because he was happy, but because he was HURTING.

Nothing anyone says right now will make it bettter, I know. But we are all thinking of you during this sad time, and now Alex doesn't hurt anymore!

I will keep you and yours in my prayers!

Thanks everyone - and yes Behle, I couldnt put him thru that. When I asked what his chances were for a normal life they would hedge and say
"we wont know that until after he starts medication"...but when he diagnosed I spent hours reading up on this and realized that even with meds, eye removal, surgery, and prayers, the odds were not good.
Fungal infections are hard to get rid of, and the websites I visited said if it got to his eyes they would have to be removed. He was blind, I could have lived with that easily, but not with the pain he was feeling and not with the fact that he might never fully recover....he was suffering, and I couldnt
let that go on.

Freebee keeps looking for him, That's so sad....I need to get her another
dog.

Guest Anonymous

I'm so sorry Courtnek. We've all been through this and know the pain
you are feeling. I won't say "poor Alex" because at least he is not in pain anymore. It does get better, but even after 4 years we still cry for our beloved Jasmine, but it doesn't hurt as bad. You will always miss him, but think of the beautiful life he had with you which is more than a lot of dogs get. HE WAS VERY LUCKY TO BE A MEMBER OF YOUR LOVING FAMILY.

Sweet Dreams Alex!

so sorry to hear of alex's pain :cry:
You were very brave and you totally made the right decision.
It's lovely to hear you talking about a new friend for Freebee I just know that my two would be lost without each other I think I would have to do the same.
Thoughts with you xxx

Courtnek I am so sorry for your loss... we all know how much you loved Alex and how amazing his life was with you after you rescued him. He feels no pain now, poor little boy... and poor Freebee, she must be hurting without her best friend... I am so sorry. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: