Dogomania

"New" Breeds

Encyclopedia

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote]Alot of people are just not comfortable with adopting an older animal[/quote]

This is a cop out. There are tons and tons of puppies in animal shelters. People who want a puppy can still have one.

The argument that purebreds are mixed breeds anyway doesn't hold water with me either. It's not about whether the dog is a mutt or purebred. The point is that everytime someone buys a dog from a breeder, it is one less home for a dog in s shelter or rescue. As I stated above though, people who are going out looking for a purebred are usually not the type to change their mind and go to a shelter. I don't understand it, but there it is.

Elle Wrote:

[quote]WHY did you PURCHASE a purebred?[/quote]

I would love for people to answer this question. I'm really interested to know.

[quote name='SexxieRacerChik'][quote]Do you know what I have heard about the "-oodle" and "-poo" dogs? That they have been made for allergics so that all allergics can have a dog without any problems. [/quote]

I was under the impression of that's where the Bichon Frise and Mexican Hairless (and a few others) came from..for those reason's..because they are meant to be "hypoallergenic" dogs???

LMAO though...I seriously could not walk up and tell someone I had a Schnoodle dog..that just sounds, well, lol very silly..atleast give the dogs a normal name instead of making it sound like a cookie (snickerdoodle). I think people would take the animals and breeder's a little more seriously if they didn't make the names sound like a gimick/fad. [color=red] Why shouldn't the names sound like a gimmick or fad? That is exactly what they are. [/color]

All dogs come from mixing different types together over a period of years...God didn't make all these different breeds from the beginning you know. Each dog breed out there was created, from many type breeds, for man to enjoy...how is this any different? [color=red] It's different because there are ALREADY breeds that fit those requirements.[/color]

Is it so wrong for someone who is highly allergic to dogs to want a pet that doesn't send them into sneezing fits? Or where they have to constantly take medication to prevent them from having a allergic reaction? [color=red] Some breeds may cause less reaction in allergy sufferers than others but NO dog is hypoallergenic. It's not wrong for somebody to want what you described, I, myself have allergies to various things, including a slight allergy to dogs. Not much but I will hive up if I am licked or brushed up on by a wet dog. Dry dogs don't really bother my allergies. I have the same reaction to the "hypoallergenic" breeds too. They are by no means a "cure all" , they are still an animal after all. If a person wants an animal THAT much, I think they'd be willing to put up with the medication and/or allergy shots if it's THAT important to them. What I don't understand is why people breed these mixes. let's use Labradoodles for this example. What traits are they getting from the Lab that don't already exist in a Poodle? Poodles are friendly and smart and easy to train. They were bred to be retrievers. They already don't shed. They come in colors that are comparable to the Lab. Poodles come in sizes that can fit into just about any household. Perhaps "just plain Poodles" carry too much of a "frilly" stigma?[/color] Is it so wrong for them to want a dog like this that they can go back and have health guarentee's and such on just like your purebred pet? [color=red] That's the whole thing though, these aren't breeds, yeah they may have some health testing done, but these people can't guarentee too much more about them. They can't guarentee that they won't shed or cause reactions, there are still to many discrepencies between dogs in the same litter to do that. It takes way more than a year or two or more to develop predictable, reliable results in puppies. I think that it's pretty dam horrible and totally irresponsible that anyone is touting these animals as hypoallergenic, like I already said, they are still animals and can still cause allergies to react. There is NO SUCH THING as a hypoallergenic animal. Allergies are caused by proteins and every single animal and plant on this earth has them. Allergy sufferers are still going to have some sort of reactions to them, though maybe not as bad as they would normally. [/color] They can't get that at the pound. And most pounds (not rescue's..don't get me wrong here) do not have restriction's on who takes the pet, or make sure they are compatible..they just want the animal out the door and gone. [color=red] Take a guess at where these dogs will end up when the owners allergies flare up despite the "hypoallergenic" qualities.[/color] [/quote]

[quote name='Elle']I'm sorry, I don't remember who asked the question, but imo, it's a very legitimate question that needs answered by ALL owners of purebreds who purchased their dogs, who did NOT find them at a shelter:

WHY did you PURCHASE a purebred?[/quote]

I think some of this has been answered in the debate forum under "Is dogo anti purebred", but I'll take a stab at this one here to keep things rolling.

I as to date have not had "my own" dog. All of my dogs have been family pets. I am, as we speak, in the process of writing out a letter of inquiry to a breeder about her dogs. My reasons for buying a dog versus going to the pound or through a breed rescue are:

I have wanted to show dogs since I was 5 or 6. I feel extremely lucky that I can fulfill one of my childhood dreams, not many people can. How many firefighters, ballerinas or Astronauts do you see running around? Not as many as you would have in elemantary school I'll bet. My dog will be first and foremost a beloved pet, but a pet that I want to do very specific things. To be shown in conformation a dog must be intact since the whole purpose is to exhibit your breeding stock, whether or not you have any intentions of breeding, which I don't, but I can't change those rules, so I'll just have to follow them eh?. I have seen many dogs in rescues that could have been champions if thier paths in life had been different. If it were possible to go through a rescue and be able to get my dog that way, that would be great, but it's not.

I want something specific. I want to know what my pretty much what my dog will act and look like. Dals, like all dogs, have various health problems that turn up and I'll feel better knowing the rough odds are lower of any of those things occuring in my dog because of careful breeding. I lost two previous dogs to inheirted health problems much earlier than I would have liked. I'd like to not have to go through that again. I know there isn't such a thing as a full guarentee though.

I have decided on Dalmatians mainly because I grew up with them, but I also made a list of all the things that I wanted from my dog. I wanted a dog that was somewhat large. I wanted a dog that was smart and easy to train. I wanted a dog that was friendly yet protective, but I don't want a "guard dog". I wanted a dog that was versatile so I could do various activities with it. I wanted a dog that was outgoing , not an aloof dog. There were a couple other things on my list as well, but a Dalmatian fit all those things to a "T". They are a medium/big dog. They are friendly, but are naturally somewhat protective until the "new guy" gets the okay from mom and dad. They are smart and easy to train if you know what they will work for. They are versatile, just as at home running around the ring as they are running next to you or doing agility or whatnot. They are very outgoing with their family and are total "love pups". In addition to my list, my boyfriend had a couple of his own requirements: He wants a dog that will be happy to see him when he gets home, one that he will feel is a deterrent to intruders when he's not home, one that will bring him his slippers :lol: , one that he can do "doggie stuff" with ( fetch, wrestleing etc) and he doesn't like cropped ears. So a Dal fits the bill on his side too.

[quote]WHY did you PURCHASE a purebred?[/quote]

OK I'm jumping in here because this debate has gotten heated. and shouldnt be. What kind of dog you get should be up to you...I personally rescue and choose mixes/mutts, because I know with my experience I can train them and give them good homes. Without getting emotional, allow me to explain the mind of the average dog owner. Most of us here dont qualify.....but I have TONS of friends who do...

We here know our breeds, understand what is expected of them, train, and socialize them properly. We learn from each other, we ask for each others help when necessary. The average American dog owner does NONE of that. The AADO buys/adopts a dog because its cute, or his kids like it, if its a mix. The people buying purebreds (AVERAGE, not people who really understand) buy the dog because of its breed characterisitcs. Labs are the #1 dog in America...they are sold as "obedient, loving loyal, good with children, trustworhty..." ROT!! It's simply not true. Even labs, although more tolerant than some other dogs, need good training and proper household rules...people seem to think they raise and train themselves, because they bought the dog not wanting to put any real work into it.

I see this day to day, from people I know and work with, who come to me and say "maggie bit my kid, it didnt bleed much, should I be alarmed???"

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THIS WAS GOING ON?????

Sometimes I just want to smack people upside the head, I swear it...

Alot of this is caused by advertisement and breed standards. I have a Lab Mix, she's a bitch, no pun intended. I wouldnt trust her offleash if my life depended on it...but people see her and say "OH she's a LAB!! I can pet her right?" WRONG....

The AADO buys purebres because they have been sold on the breed standard, plain and simple. I have a friend at work that bought two labs..
the female is dominant, and she wants that to change because "males should be dominant"...this would be the Maggie that bit her daughter...

Her daughter interfered in a quarell between the dogs, while mom was out of the room. her daughter tried to break up a growling session, not really even a quarrel, just a tiff over a bone. I read her the riot act, I was so
ticked off. She was lucky Labs are generally laid back, the bite was just a bad nip, but it still drew blood....

Well you all know me and know where I went with THAT...NO child should be left alone with a dog, for any reason...I dont care HOW "laid-back" the dogs breed standards say he is....

but to ansser the original question, this is why the AADO buys purebreds...

quite humorous, imho. Purebred buyers seem to think they are privledged in a class of their own. Their reasons for purchasing seem to be ok for THEM - I so far have read basically "I bought a purebred because I WANT...". My opinion is that if you have bought a purebred then you have absolutely no right to express a negative opinion about anyone who buys a mixed. You can of course have your opinion, but how dare you assume the RIGHT to judge anyone else for doing the exact same thing you're doing. A purebred owner justifying her reasons for purchasing a purebred admitted to already having owned others who died too early due to poor genetics. Geesh. Duh. Guess what - it's cause all the purebred buyers are also encouraging breeders to breed the genetically inferior purebreds. If you insist on purchasing a dog, you should instead encourage an effort to mix MORE breeds to eliminate some of the genetic blundering. Don't be a hypocrite.

[quote name='SexxieRacerChik']

And what purpose are they serving? They are being developed as hypo allergenic animals. Because the animals they are being bred from are considered that, but as Hillside stated are not "truly" hypo allergentic...but isn't that how the current breeds were formed? From trial and error, to see what combinations worked? I mean the doberman has atleast 10 breeds in it...[color=red] But they are trying to do something that really is totally impossible. No amount of breeding can produce an animal that is actually hypoallergenic. There is no combination on earth that can produce that.[/color]

How are these new breeds, bred with a purpose..the hypo allergentic quality..any different at this stage in its developement any different from any other dog that is the result of several breeds being crossbred against each other in teh past to get what we have today? [color=red] Because there are already breeds that serve the purpose they are breeding for, several in fact. [/color]

You say there are already breeds that fit this profile..same can be said for any of the terrier group or toy...they all were bred for pretty much the same purpose.
And I don't hear anyone saying they shouldn't be bred anymore..because there are so many and they don't perform their function anymore...I don't know too many dogs being used to kill vermin or badgers anymore. Maybe people don't want a small dog because of their allergies..there aren't very many big dogs that fit this criteria..I would think a lab or golden would fall close to that[color=red] So are you saying a Standard Poodle is a small dog? In addition to Standard Poodles, if someone wants a bigger dog that fits that bill they have a couple more options, what about the Portuguese Water Dog or some of the other "non shedding" breeds? And really ,it's not their hair that causes the allergic reaction; it's the dander, saliva, or urine. Even short-haired pets have dander. Nonshedding dogs such as Poodles still drool and lick themselves, and saliva can be just as likely as dander to trigger nasal allergies.[/color]
...and these dogs don't have the same coat type as their parents...the golden version doesn't have a long coat to tend to..[color=red] So is a Poodle that'sbeen shaved down. If it is grooming costs that are the trouble, it's easy enough to learn how to shave your dog yourself. [/color]it's short and curly.[color=red] In some of the pups of the litter it is, but when I watched the Designer Dogs show that was on tv a while back, even in thier litters ( and they have been doing this for quite a while) there was still a large difference between pups of the same litter.[/color]

Also, when you breed the "hypoallergentic" animals together with a non hypoallergenic, even though the 2 seperate animals aren't fully hypoallergenic, who knows how the offspring will be of the crosses?[color=red] Exactly, it's a crapshoot.[/color] Thats why you do research on them...I'm sure there were alot of dead ends on the road to creating several of the breeds out today before they came to be what they are today.
...they would ask that the prospective new owner hang out with the dog for 30-60 minutes then go home and see how they responded before their purchase.
[color=red] As far as my personal expierence goes, my allergies are far worse around the Retriever breeds than just about any other and my allergy to dogs is by no means severe. I think it is because of their coat type. Not because it is long, at least in the case of Goldens or Flatties, but because it is rather oily. I have a Samoyed that I barely react to at all and let me tell you he is one fluffy boy.( I'll try to get a picture of him for you soon, he's a beauty. :wink: ) I've also heard from others that they have the same reaction. So I wonder why they use Retrievers. :hmmmm: [/color]

[/quote]

[quote name='Elle']quite humorous, imho. Purebred buyers seem to think they are privledged in a class of their own. Their reasons for purchasing seem to be ok for THEM - I so far have read basically "I bought a purebred because I WANT...". My opinion is that if you have bought a purebred then you have absolutely no right to express a negative opinion about anyone who buys a mixed. You can of course have your opinion, but how dare you assume the RIGHT to judge anyone else for doing the exact same thing you're doing. A purebred owner justifying her reasons for purchasing a purebred admitted to already having owned others who died too early due to poor genetics. Geesh. Duh. Guess what - it's cause all the purebred buyers are also encouraging breeders to breed the genetically inferior purebreds. If you insist on purchasing a dog, you should instead encourage an effort to mix MORE breeds to eliminate some of the genetic blundering. Don't be a hypocrite.[/quote]
How has ANYONE implied they were in a privledged class of their own hmm? Anyone who purchases or gets ANY dog gets it because they WANT it, including you my dear. Not one of us have slammed on mixed breeds, just the people who are trying to sell hope to someone about something that doesn't exist. If you have not noticed, we are here because we love all dogs, not just our own breed(s), if that was the case we would be on a breed specific forum. If you had read what I wrote and referred you to in my other post, you'd also see that I want to rescue as well.
Yes, I had two dogs die too early because of bad genes. Saying I "admitted" that makes you sound like you are saying it's my fault and that I should be ashamed for some reason about it. How DARE you try to pin the blame on me for that for "encouraging the breeding of genetically inferior purebreds". I was a kid when we got them and they came from a very irresponsible breeder who didn't give a flying fLIck about her animals. One of the dogs in question was pretty dam neglected, covered with bug bites, tied out in horrible heat with no shelter from the elements at all. Gee, sounds like we saved his life and allowed him to live out the rest of it safe and loved. Oh and did I mention two of our other purebreds living til the age of 15, by and far exceeding their life expectancy? Or how about our two other dogs that were mixed breeds that had horrible temperments? A dog is a dog is a dog, be it purebred or mixed. And I love them all,I just don't love the people who breed indiscriminately, whether they are breeding "fashion mutts", like the ones we are discussing or purebreds.
Hmmmmm mixing breeds to eliminate genetics blundering... how about careful selection of breeding stock to breed out those problems instead? I think that's a much better idea than just throwing any two random dogs together for reasons of "hybrid vigor". In order to do what you are suggesting, wouldn't the sire and dam have to be perfect examples of health in the first place? Mixed breeds have ALL the same health issues that purebreds do, genetics are funny that way, it's not just the good ones that get passed down. If mixed breeds were screened and tested for all the things that purebreds are, guess what you'd find? But because they aren't it is ASSUMED by some uneducated people that they are indeed healthier.
If you are going to accuse us of being hypocrites and such, do you think you could please step off your high horse before doing so?

Just to add a little humor to a heated thread, here are some new canine crossbreeds:

NEW CANINE CROSSBREEDS

Collie + Lhasa Apso = COLLAPSO (a dog that folds up for easy transport)

Spitz + Chow-Chow = SPITZ-CHOW (a dog that throws up a lot)

Bloodhound + Borzoi = BLOODY BORE (a dog that's not much fun)

Pointer + Setter = POINSETTER (a traditional Christmas pet)

Kerry Blue Terrier + Skye Terrier = BLUE SKYE (a dog for visionaries)

Great Pyrenees + Dachshund = PYRADACHS (a puzzling breed)

Pekingese + Lhasa Apso = PEEKASSO (an abstract dog)

Irish Water Spaniel + English Springer Spaniel = IRISH SPRINGER (a dog fresh and clean as a whistle)

Labrador Retriever + Curly-Coated Retriever = LAB COAT RETRIEVER (the choice of research scientists)

Newfoundland + Basset Hound = NEWFOUND ASSET HOUND (a dog for financial advisors)

Terrier + Bulldog = TERRIBULL (a dog that makes awful mistakes)

Bloodhound + Labrador = BLABADOR (a dog that barks incessantly)

Malamute + Pointer = MOOT POINT (owned by.....oh, well, it doesn't matter any more)

Collie + Malamute = COMMUTE (a dog that travels to work)

Deerhound + Terrier = DERRIERE (a dog that's true to the end)

Bull Terrier + Shitzu = BULLSHITZU (a gregarious but unreliable breed)

[quote name='Elle']I'm sorry, I don't remember who asked the question, but imo, it's a very legitimate question that needs answered by ALL owners of purebreds who purchased their dogs, who did NOT find them at a shelter:

WHY did you PURCHASE a purebred?[/quote]

Because I WANTED TO. Is that what you want to hear? :roll:

I PURCHASED a purebred because I can NOT get what I was looking for at the shelter! This is what I wanted: an INTACT, 8 week old , dark sable or solid black, male, REGISTERED, GSD with imported (From the Czech Republic) parents (And I had already picked out the stud that I wanted to be the sire of the pup .), that are titled AND xrayed, and a GUARANTEE as to the health and hips of the pup, AND a pup with the personality that I was looking for. How many of THOSE are in shelters? What are my chances of finding one in a shelter? ZERO!

Am I against mutts? ABSOLUTELY not! (We have 2. :P )

Am I against intentionally breeding "mutts"? ABSOLUTELY!
(There are enough in shelters.) If someone wants for instance a "cute little poodle MIX". There are PLENTY of those in shelters. There is NO need to intentionally breed them!

Here is a question for "some" folks.

WHY do you rag on those what don't get dogs from the shelter instead of directing your attitude/hostility where it REALLY belongs? At those that dump dogs in the shelters in the first place! (Or just dump them so that they are picked up by AC. {if they are lucky.})

Ok I realy try to stay out of the major conflicts on this site, especally the ones that involve "rescue vs. purebreeds". But it seems that every few months all the people on this site who have purebred dogs that they got from a breeder and the people on this site who breed get bashed, allot. And time after time they have to stick up for themselves and what they believe. And time after time it's the "rescue" people (usually the newbies) who bash the breeders NOT the other way around. No one on this site has ever ONCE said anything bad about a mutt/mix or rescue dog. But it is a free for all for bashing thoes who don't adopt.

Each person here has different needs, some want pure breeds for specific reasons, like Hillside and Black GSD. I will never bash them because they know there stuff inside and out. Some people want to know that there dog has been tested for genetic diseases, you can't get that in a shelter. Of all people I should know, with my adopted mutt with bad elbows and bad hips. I'm not saying that pure breeds don't have genetic problems but at a shelter you never know what your getting and I respect people who don't want to take the chance. Not everyone can spend 1, 5, 15 or 20 thousand dollars on a dog with health problems.

People on this site don't "slam" mix breeds, the slam the unnecessary BYB of these new "fad" dogs. I dare you to find me one good breeder of a Labradoodle or any of these new fad breeds, who dosn't breed for profit, who does ALL genetic tests on the dogs, who is active in a rescue community, who promotes spay/neutering, who will take back one of there dogs when someone decided to get rid of it after they bought it. Not to many of thoes around huh? And how many Labradoodles and Cockapoos are in shelters right now? Hundreads? Thousands? These new breeds don't serve any purpose, hypoallergenic my arse!

I can confidently say that everyone on this site, breeders, rescuers, and everyone in between is desgusted and horrified by the over population of dogs and cats.

And Black GSD is 100% right what about thoes people who dump there dogs at the shelters becuse they are getting old or because they are too hyper? Or let there dog roam free not spayed or neutered? But it's all the responsible breeders fault that there are so many animals in shelters, right. :roll:

Ok, I'm done with my rant now.

By the way I am in NO way saying that rescuing is bad and that the people on this site who do rescue are bad. It just seems that this argument comes up allot and it is usually newbies that bring it up.

[quote name='StarFox']And Black GSD is 100% right what about thoes people who dump there dogs at the shelters becuse they are getting old or because they are too hyper?

[/quote]

Or they are "too hairy", "too big", or they are moving, ect.... it REALLY burns by butt when someone had a dog like a GSD, Lab, Golden, ect... and says that it is too big. WFT did they expect? That is why those breeds are called LARGE breeds. Because they are LAGRE!!!!

well, I'm one of those hated purchasers of what you call a fad dog. Many of you WANT a certain "breed" due to whatever reasons you feel warrant your rationalization. Ok, no problem, as long as you allow others the same respect, thank you very much. I looked for a long time for a shelter dog that fit what I "wanted" for a pet - I don't give a flip if the dog is registered or not, but like you, there are certain characteristics I wanted for our family pet. So, what I found was a great little mix that is a perfect fit for our family. I paid a breeder for her. For shame, for shame, huh? I see absolutely no difference between my purchase & 99% of the purchases of purebred dogs. I guess I just don't think the majority of any of those purebred breeders pay as much attention to genetics, etc., as you all are seeming to proclaim. You know the maltese story I imagine? The previously registered maltese breeder who was found to be not only an irreputable breeder but giving those dogs hormones & viagra to keep 'em producing!! NOW, the pups won't be registered, but think of all the previous dogs from that breeder who are registered & quite likely being used to produce more registered cute little maltese - & for those of you thinking all purebreds serve a specific purpose??? Pulllleeez, what in the world does that maltese do except be a cute little lap dog, for which there are many many many other dogs, including mixes who fit that need quite nicely.
--------
Quote of Black GSD:

Guest Anonymous

The issue here is that people are breeding two different breeds together and calling them purebred. A cockapoo, or any of those others, is not a purebred dog. They are mutts and there is absolutely nothing wrong with a mutt BUT these people are breeding them and calling them "a new breed". That is just BS. two purebred dogs of different breeds being bred together does not make another purebred dog. It makes a mutt. And you cannot tell me that they arent in shelters. You see these "new breeds" all over the place.
I dont think you can consider anyone breeding these "designer dogs" as a reputable breeder. A reputable breeder would better the breed not breed for money. They arent doing it for any reason other than money. If there were some major health problems in, lets say, the poodle, and the only way to take care of the problem would be to cross in another breed, say a lab, which in turn would throw labradoodles, fine. BUT their only reason for doing it is for money. I mean the dogs arent even registered by anyone yet these breeders are selling them for thousands of dollars!? They ask more for these little mutts than people ask for a real purebred.
I have no problem with mutts. I have no problem with shelter dogs. Neither one are for me. I want something specific. If someone wants something specific it can be found without supporting these mutt breeding jerks.

[quote]I guess I just don't think the majority of any of those purebred breeders pay as much attention to genetics, etc., as you all are seeming to proclaim.[/quote]
There are the good and the bad in everything in life. BUT do you really think these people breedinig these mutts, selling them for thousands of dollars are doing the proper tests? I seriously doubt it.
[quote]Pulllleeez, what in the world does that maltese do except be a cute little lap dog, for which there are many many many other dogs, including mixes who fit that need quite nicely[/quote]
All these breeders are doing are creating more lapdogs!!! They dont have a single purpose! They are adding to the problem, not helping it.
[quote]the argument that purchasers of mixed breeds only encourage more breeders to do so is the exact same argument that purchasers of purebreds only encourage more breeders to do so [/quote]
this is just a ridiculous statement. MOST responsible breeders of purebreds have a breeding contract. I wont let a single pup go without a breeding contract. You wont find many breeders, responsible or not, of purebred dogs telling people to get involved in breeding and selling. There really isnt that much money in purebred dogs. BUT then you have these people breeding their mutts and they are selling them for thousands of dollars...looks interesting to a lot of people. They can take that trip they always wanted down easy street.
[url]http://www.dog-breeders.biz/search_detail_puppies_for_sale.cfm?ID=26785[/url]
This ladys pups are $1250
[url]http://www.dog-breeders.biz/search_detail_puppies_for_sale.cfm?ID=25708[/url]
These are $1000.
[url]http://www.dog-breeders.biz/puppies_for_sale_directory.cfm?BR=+Labradoodle+&se=DogBreeder[/url]
Here, check some of them out.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]the breeder I purchased my mix from, altho I can't vouch for the genetic tests, did fulfill all the other guidelines you listed. [/quote]

...but genetic tests are one of the most important factors. It doesnt' matter how much the breeder loves/cares about her or his dogs and the puppies he/she has bred if they suffer from HD or any other of the MANY things that can be detected with genetic testing...

[quote name='Elle']...eliminate some of the genetic blundering. Don't be a hypocrite.[/quote]

[quote name='Elle']the breeder I purchased my mix from, altho I can't vouch for the genetic tests, did fulfill all the other guidelines you listed[/quote]

Can you tell me how those two quotes don't totally oppose each other? If the breeder isn't testing for genetic problems, wouldn't that fit the definition of genetic blundering to a "T"?

[quote]quite humorous, imho. Purebred buyers seem to think they are privledged in a class of their own. Their reasons for purchasing seem to be ok for THEM - I so far have read basically "I bought a purebred because I WANT...". My opinion is that if you have bought a purebred then you have absolutely no right to express a negative opinion about anyone who buys a mixed.[/quote]

[quote]I looked for a long time for a shelter dog that fit what I "wanted" for a pet - I don't give a flip if the dog is registered or not, but like you, there are certain characteristics I wanted for our family pet. [/quote]

Seems like you have the same excuse, I WANT! And people who buy mixes have no right to express a negative opinion about people who buy purebreeds.

[quote]We were both looking for particular characteristics, neither of us felt able to find such in a shelter (altho I looked for a long time), so, end of story? We both PURCHASED our pet from a breeder. [/quote]

Then you didn't look hard enough, unless of course you wanted one of thoes rare mixes...oh..i mean "breeds". :roll:

[quote]the breeder I purchased my mix from, altho I can't vouch for the genetic tests, did fulfill all the other guidelines you listed.[/quote]

No, they did NOT fufill the guidlines i listed. Genetic testing is so important! How do you know your dog won't get HD or ED? Or have server allergies? Or luxating patellas (sp?)?! If they are breeding quality, healthy dogs and are responsible they will ALWAYS do helth tests.

[quote]And your estimate of "hundreds" "thousands" of those 2 mixes you mentioned I believe is an exaggeration. I can't say for sure, because I wasn't looking for either of those. [/quote]

Here you go : [url]http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=3&type=Dog[/url]
Dogs-206 different breeds and 94021 dogs in total. And that's just a handfull, a sampling of what types of dogs are in shelters and roaming the streets. And how many of thoes are mixes? 20%? 50%?

[quote]
the poor quality breeders I am positive far out-number those breeders who honestly do genetic testing & careful mating.[/quote]

Well we agree on one thing then. There are hundreds of people out there who breed just for money, or just because they want puppies, or because they want to show there kids the miracle of life. BYB and puppymills that breed mixed AND purebreds need to be stoped. Hobby breeders need to be stopped. People who breed without giving a rats behind about genetics need to be stopped.

[quote]And again, "these new breeds don't serve any purpose" - well maybe not to you, but to some, they DO. I'm saying your reasons for choosing your dog serve you well; the reasons I, & other mixed owners use, serve me well. [/quote]

I don't exactly know what you point is here. I DO own a mix breed. I adopted a GSD/golden mix almost 2 years ago. He is my little "German Retreiver" and he is the reason I am so against mixed breeding. Maybe you would feel differnet about BUYING mixes if you spent a week in a shelter and saw what rescuers had to go threw.

[quote name='Elle'] I guess I just don't think the majority of any of those purebred breeders pay as much attention to genetics, etc., as you all are seeming to proclaim.
--------
like I said, owners of purebreds have many reasons they think are perfectly acceptable for rationalizing why they purchase their dogs --- well, those of us who purchase a mix, or as the term is used here, a fad dog, we also have acceptable reasons for our purchase. So, who's to say either of us are wrong? We were both looking for particular characteristics, neither of us felt able to find such in a shelter (altho I looked for a long time), so, end of story? We both PURCHASED our pet from a breeder.
[/quote]

As to the first part. ALL "Reputable" breeders DO pay attention to genetics. It is the BYBs and those that are in it only for the money that don't care about genetics or testing for genetic issues.
There is NO excuse for anyone to breed 2 dogs together without genetic testing. NONE!

Now on to the second part. Show me exactly where I said anything against those that buy mutts! Show me where I said that that you are wrong for buying your mixed breed. If you want to get technical, even those that get their dogs from the shelter PURCHASE their dogs. They have to pay money for them don't they?

Like I said before, I have NO issue with mixed breeds. I DO have a problem with anyone that breeds them in order to make money! I have an issue with those same "puppy makers" that breed 2 purebreds of different breeds together and calls the MUTT offspring a "purebred" Labradoodle or WHATEVER. And I DO have problem with these same "puppy pushers" blowing smoke up the arses of ignorant people. People that don't know any better and believe all of the crap that these "puppy makers" spew.

[b]STUPIDITY SHOULD BE PAINFULL!!!![/b]

[quote]two purebred dogs of different breeds being bred together does not make another purebred dog. It makes a mutt. And you cannot tell me that they arent in shelters.[/quote]

You also can't tell me that there aren't purebreds in shelters either. So it's not ok for someone to buy a "new breed" of dog even though there are probably some in shelters, but it is ok for someone to buy a purebred when you can find them in shelters as well? That doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not a fan of people creating new breeds either. But I don't understand why people who bought a purebred dog because they wanted something specific get upset when somebody else does the same thing, only settles on a "new breed" instead of an established one.

[quote name='Elle']
--- the poor quality breeders I am positive far out-number those breeders who honestly do genetic testing & careful mating.
[/quote]

On this point, you are ABSOLUTELY correct! But, IMO. ALL of those that do NOT do genetic testing are out for one thing and one thing ONLY. MONEY. ALL "poor quality" breeders are SCUM. Whether they are breeding registered purebreds OR mutts makes no difference. As I said, there is NO excuse for NOT doing the testing.