Dogomania

Stray dog in car with other dog?

bk_blue

I was thinking about this the other day. What would you do if you wre in the car with your dog, and you saw a stray dog on the footpath, or the road, wherever...? If the dog had no ID and nobody in the immediate vicinity knew who it belonged to, would you take it in your car to the pound or to your house if your dog was already in the car? I honestly don't know if I would. If you have two dogs that start fighting in your car when you're concentrating on the road, that wouldn't be very good for you or the dogs if you had an accident. But how could you leave the stray dog by itself?? Maybe if it was during the day you could call the council and they could pick up the dog, but the dog still isn't safe from cars while it's outside... :-?

I have picked up a stray while I had my own dog with me. I got my weekends mixed up, had Brittany in the car thinking we were going to an obedience trial. I get to the site, no one is there! I noticed a dog lying in the grass across the street. After verifying that indeed no one was at the show site, I cruised over to check out this dog. She was still in the grass, appeared ok but I was not sure if she'd been hit or not. I parked, got out, sat on the curb and started talking to her. She crept over, not sure at all, then decided I was ok and launched herself into my lap. Oh heck, now what do I do!!! No one was around, she had a collar but no tags. I knew there was an Animal Control facility just up the road. I had my new van, still had temp tags on it. Brittany was on the back seat, I put the stray into the well that is behind the rear seat. Of course Brittany wanted to sniff noses, the stray snapped at her but no real serious issues...yet.
I seat belted Brittany into a middle row seat and hoped the stray would not climb/leap over the back seat. Off I go to Animal Control, they are CLOSED! It was only about 9am and they did not open til noon. Thankfully there was an emergency # on the door, I found a pay phone and called them. They came out and picked up the dog, by then I was able to have Brittany and the stray out of the van on leashes and they got along just fine. Funny, when the lady from AC got there, the dog barked at her and tried very hard NOT to leave me. Gave me a look like 'why are you letting her take me!!'
Looking back, not the smartest thing to do but it DID work out ok. I was VERY glad this dog did not poop or vomit in my new van, after all it still had the new car smell!

Yeah if I could I would pick the dog up but Blitz would be all over it if it was a large dog and my bet is the stray would have no patience with him and a fight would break out. :-? The reason I asked is because this did happen to me- I was driving along back from the park with BK and I saw a dog on its own on the nature strip- I still have no idea if the dog was just someone's who had got out or a stray (we don't have very many strays *running around* as opposed to *in the shelters*). Still, I wondered what everyone would do if they were in that situation. :)

Guest Anonymous

Well, seeing as I can't drive yet!... :lol:
But if I COULD... Hazel's aggressive, so putting them both in the car wouldn't be the best bet... but when we drive around with Hazel, we usually put her in her crate in the back of the truck, so we'd prob be able to get the dog in the cab.
If it was just me, and I COULD drive, then I would probably park the car, make sure Hazel would be okay for a few minutes, then try to get the stray with me to go knock on some doors, or call the animal control or something like that... if I was in a well populated area, I wouldn't wana leave Hazel in the car for too long by herself! I wouldn't wana leave too far from her either, so... that is a real tricky question! :-?

I always keep a crate in whatever vehicle I am driving. The primary reason is because I'm always picking up something along the way, whether it be dogs or cats. I've not had to pick up a larger dog yet, but if it ever came up, I suppose I could put the dog in the cargo area of my SUV and my dog in the front seat, leaving a whole row of seats between them. That back seat is hard to come over and the dogs that usually travel with me everywhere I go are usually totally oblivious to any other dog. They wouldn't care.

Does anyone else carry a care kit just in case you run across an injured or abandoned animal? Crate, kennel leads, muzzles, treats... I forget what all I have, but I always keep critter friendly stuff in my vehicles.

Oh, and it depends on why I'm picking up the animal as to where I take them. Both shelters near me have night drop off "depositories" that have food, water and cages already set up where you just deposit the dog anonymously (sad that it had to come to that, but so many people don't have the ummm fortitude to bring their dogs during regular hours and would rather abandon dogs in the woods. The purpose behind these night time drop offs is so that maybe more animals will be turned in anonymously as opposed to dumped in the woods). If it's injured, I take it to the vet clinic where I work. If it appears to be a stray, I take them to the shelter. Or so I try. Some strays come home with me and never leave. :-?

I did this once back when I first started working for the humane society here. I had gone back to work to drop a couple dogs off that I'd had at an off site around 7pm.

When I pulled up there was a Rottie sitting in front of the door. I had my own dog, Snickers (now a bridgekid) with me also. As I got closer I saw that she had recently had pups (very droopy nipples) and had been badly injured. She had large chunks of flesh missing and what appeared to be an Ace bandage wrapped around her midsection (I never took that off as I didn't want to see what it was covering). Plus torn ears and all of it was fresh as she was still bleeding and ended up bleeding a lot more in my car. I started to panic since no one was there to help me with her so I just picked her up (luckily she didn't bite me as it's not wise to pick up strange large dogs, let alone ones that were injured) and put her in the car with Snickers. I quickly drove her to the E-vet about 5 minutes away. They wouldn't help me since she was a stray and I only had $100 on me. They wouldn't even put her to sleep for me since she wasn't my dog.

Then I drove another 20 minutes to the county animal shelter with her and paid $50 to leave her there. Luckily (in a way) they put her to sleep immediately, it seems when they removed the bandage those injuries were very bad and she was quickly put to sleep. So that was the one and only time I've put a stray dog I found in my car with one of my own. Luckily she was in shock and therefore hardly noticed Snickers looking at her. I have no idea what I would have done if they had fought.

I have picked up other stray dogs, but that was the only time I had one of mine with me. I still would do it again if I saw another dog while I had one of mine with me.

I did pick up a stray cat once with my own dogs in the car (Kara, Kyra and Spirit). I usually keep a cat carrier in my car for such things, but had cleaned my car out that day and forgot to put it back in.

I went to the dog park with the 3 furkids and when leaving I heard someone yelling at me about an animal under my car. I look under and there is a cat! I guess she thought she'd try to get into the dog park, but thought better of it and stayed in the parking lot under MY car! I just reached under and hauled her out and stuck her in my car with the dogs. My dogs all like cats, but I wasn't sure how the cat would react. Just a little hissing and she curled up under the seat. Got her home without a problem and put up signs. No one ever called so I took her to work (the shelter) spayed her and she found a great home. She actually really liked dogs as it turned out and went to live with 2 dogs and a cat.

Guest Anonymous

Spiritsmom what a shocking story (the dog one). How can people be so cruel? First the ***** that left her there then the shelter that didn't help. :evil:

I know, I think I was in shock as well as the dog. At the very least I had been hoping that someone would have been able to put her down quickly without causing her any more suffering. I really wonder what happened to her and why someone would leave a dog in her condition in front of a shelter that was closed till the morning. I'm thankful that I was going back to the building when I did otherwise I hate to think she would have died there in front of the door.

If I came across another I don't think I'd hesitate to put him/her in the car when my own are there too. Now I have bigger car than I did then so it would be easy to keep my dogs in the backseat and put the stray in the cargo area since I have a pet barrier.

If I couldn't find anyone to take that poor dog I think I would have taken her home and given her some (human) pethidine or morphine, if it works on animals, to at least sedate the poor thing, if not put her to sleep. I get upset enough when I see birds get run over, never mind a dog. :cry:
If I had a dog crate or a barrier (hey, if I had a car) I wouldn't hesitate, but I don't have either. I don't think Mum would be too impressed if I littered her car with dog accessories. :roll:

Never had to pick one up off the street, but did have a Beagle cross my driveway while I was backing out one day. Thought it was the neighbors dog (he escapes all the time) so I had my son run him over there. It wasnt their dog. So I put him in my yard and called the police. They gave me the number of a person who had reported losing a beagle (no collar or tags) and I spent the whole day calling the number, only to get an answering machine....I had let my dogs out to play with him, and they all were having a great time, but it was winter, and the sun would set by 5:00
and I couldnt let the poor thing outside, and I couldnt bring him inside because of the cat....so after having him for 6 hours I finally called the police back and said the owner never called and someone needs to come get him....They sent the animal control van, and NOT 5 MINUTES after they left the owner finally called.....she was able to get him back fortunately.

apparently he escapes all the time - WHY NO COLLAR AND TAGS?

Many, many years ago a friend and I were way out in the bush on a dirt road (now don't ask what we were doing out there! sightseeing?) anyway we saw this big dog lying in the bush. When we went over we could see he was hurt, blood on the back legs. We could pat him but when we tried to move him he snapped at us. My friend said 'give me your pantyhose'
'What?'. So off came the pantyhose and he made a great muzzle out of them. We were able to take the dog to a Vet. who recognised the dog and notified the owner. Dog was fixed and returned.
So if you're faced with trouble, remember the pantyhose, girls. It can be tied fairly tight but will still have enough give not to hurt the dog and sometimes these things have to be done for the dog's benefit.

I wish I had some uplifting rescue story, but the only time I ever had to stop for a dog was on my way back from an emergency trip to my vet (out in the countryside) for one of my cats. I had seen the dog running loose on my trip out, but my poor little kitten was in acute distress and I couldn't stop then. On my return trip I was horrified to see his little body (a cute little yellow lab) lying on the shoulder of the road. I stopped, put the flashers on, and checked him. He had been hit and was barely alive. I left my car there and since this was only about 300 yards from my house, ran on home and asked my husband to call for help. By the time I arrived back a young couple had stopped as well. We did what we could for the poor pup - which wasn't much. A patrol car stopped by just by chance - saw the two vehicles stopped in the middle of the night - and shortly after the officer's arrival the pup died. We felt helpless. The officer gently wrapped the body in the blanket we had put round him and said that he would see to its disposal. By this time we are all in tears.

This poor fella had no collar on, but had been well-fed. [size=6]Somebody's pet that they couldn't bother to contain properly.[/size]And my poor little kitten who I had taken to the vets (who I rescued from a warehouse) had to be put down after fighting a hideous infection that claimed both of his eyes - first one, then the other. Our vet said he probably contracted it in the womb... :x

I can't drive yet either, but if I could drive and that happened to me and I had Shadow I wouldn't pick up the dog. I'd probably call one of my many agility friends and tell them to pick the dog up. Since Shadow is dog aggressive it just wouldn't work. If I had Rocky with me I probably would, though. He's a nice dog just gets VERY excited around other dogs.

Around here it's hard to decifer (sp?) whether or not a dog is stray/lost/just loose. A lot of people (specially those damn retired farmers) let their dogs run loose like they own the whole damn section of the "city".

[size=1]F**kin idiots... lettin their dogs loose and lettin them start fights wit my dogs... [/size]