Dogomania

Miniature Australian Shepherds

MiniAussies

If you don't understand genetics, then you will [u]never[/u] understand.

I really don't care if you breed your Aussie's, show them, herd trial them, whatever --- that's your business.

I can only hope that the "breeders" breeding the small-version of the Aussie, Look-a-like Aussies, Miniature Aussies and several other names that they've been called and selling them for an [b]inflated[/b] price, justified because they are "rare" and "miniature" (which they are neither), will at least use SOME ethics and test for genetic defects and at least maintain a healthy line.

Now.....I'm off to breed *miniature* ACD's and start my fullblood, new, rare, breed. :wink:

Newfie, what you said about those Teacup Yorkies is correct. The parents of the first litter of smaller Australian Shepherds were very small. Signifigantly smaller than the average Aussie. When bred to gether they may have produced all small Aussies or just a few. As I said before though, I am tired of coming back here being put down so this will probably be my last post for this thread. But I wouldn't mind posting some things up on other breeds if you wouldn't mind.

Hobbit is an intelligent, open minded, and passionate person. When he says something about genetics or working dogs i've found him to be right.I'm sure of his knowledge and this is a public forum so people will post whatever they want, whether you like it or not.
I'm sorry MiniA if you feel you've been attacked but that just tells me you are overly sensitive and have no room for anything new to be processed. I am not a breeder nor do i claim to know everything because noone does. We all love our dogs, hopefull not only because they are purebreed papered status symbols, because alot of us have mutts. My APBT my not be full blood, i'll never know, i rescued him, he looks full blooded but with the Pit Bull line it is easy to mix it and not lose the look of a APBT. truth be told most APBT i've seen are poor examples of the breed, either to heavy, to blocky, to stout. do I love Lecter any less if he's a mutt? NO. But than again I didn't pay a large amount of money for a dog whose status was important to me, or was marketed as something he is not. The only thing he cost me was a butt load of time, love, and understanding. and the things he gives me are far more important than Papers, Championships, and Bloodlines. THAT IS WHAT IS TRULY IMPORTANT.

Hey Hobbit, everything you have said makes perfect sense.

I did however just notice on the link you posted for Shady Lady to look at under the heading of Herding Dog Breeds, both the Australian Shepherd and the Minature Australian Shepherd are listed :o

[quote name='Malamum']Hey Hobbit, everything you have said makes perfect sense.

I did however just notice on the link you posted for Shady Lady to look at under the heading of Herding Dog Breeds, both the Australian Shepherd and the Minature Australian Shepherd are listed :o[/quote]

In order for anything to be a NEW breed it MUST be bred to another breed, different from the original breed.

This has been my point about the "Mini-Aussie's". IF they are calling the Mini-Aussie's a "NEW BREED", then they can[b] NOT[/b] be fullblood Aussie's. They [b]MUST[/b] be crossed with another breed.

This is a quote from the MASCA website:

[i]"Dissatisfied with the limited show schedule offered by any one club, enthusiasts attempted to secure wider recognition. However, it soon became apparent that acceptance could not be gained under the new name because it implied a new breed. [b]In actuality, the mini Aussie remained a size variety of the Australian Shepherd, with a continuous genepool, and not a separate breed. [/b]Those concerned with maintaining Australian Shepherd heritage, instinct, temperament and type, and interested in pursuing further recognition formed a Miniature Australian Shepherd parent club in order to attain these goals". [/i]