Dogomania

Too many SQUEAKS!!!

behle

Well, I just vacuumed up the squeaky ball by accident! I was running the upright vacuum (absentmindedly to be sure - thinking about something on Dogo) when I felt and then heard an awful plopping, sucking noise. Before I could get the dratted thing turned off, I smelled hot motor smell, you know the one that signals death of an electrical appliance! :o

So I finally get the thing turned off, flipped over, and start examining the beater bar. There, just tucked in behind it, flatter than a pancake, is Max's dang green squeaker ball! Hmm. What to do.... I rummaged around with my fingers but couldn't get a purchase on it. So I went to my kitchen tool drawer and fished out a pair of needle-nose pliers. I was able to successfully remove the offensive ball. By this time Max is hovering over me waiting for me to return it to him!

I gave the vacuum a test run....now it makes a hideous wheezing noise!

All this because of a $2 squeaky ball! :roll:

How about the much-beloved-by-those-lacking-in-sleep hedgehogs? Maggie's early Christmas gift last year was a very large, very green-and-purple moose with the same sound mechanism. She never had a thing for the squeakies (we used to "de-squeak" them by opening the thing up, removing the squeaker, and sewing it back), but oh my, she loved Moosie. And the sound was awful. Awful. It had squeakers in every possible appendage, too... she used to love setting it off, and then leaving it conveniently in the hall for those in-the-dark bathroom trips.

To demonstrate the horror of Moosie to my boyfriend, without saying anything, while on the phone with him, I stepped square on him (the toy, not the boyfriend ;). His exact words? "Sweet Jesus, what did you just kill?????"

I now have her favorite toy (who found its way into my suitcase when I moved and I retrieved for her as a present two days before she died... she loved that thing), "Puppy", who was intact... and sometimes I'll roll over in the middle of the night and hear a squeak.

Yes. All of Maggie's toys were named. She knew them by name, too. If you were sitting in the family room with her and said "where's Mommy?", she look at my mother. "Where's Nellie?", she'd look at me. "Where's Daddy?", she'd gaze down the hall where he was reading. "Where's Big Mean Kitty?", she'd look over at Big Mean Kitty.

This is so funny to hear your squeaker stories!

Right before Easter last year, my sister-in-law bought a bunny for Jackie that made a sound like "boing-boing-boing" (I didn't have Maya yet). Jackie immediately ripped off the ears and tail so it looked more like a guinea pig than a bunny. Then it was her baby. She would take it to bed with her and would lick it. Jackie just loved the sound. We called that toy her "boing-boing" and it FINALLY met its demise.

For Christmas, my sister-in-law gave the girls a squeaky monkey that starts out with quiet "oo-oo-oo-oo" and graduates into loud "AW-AW-AW-AW". I could only put it out occasionally, because Maya would try to play tug with Jackie with squeaky toys and kill them. Now I can leave the monkey out and they take turns with it. It's still hanging in there.

Jackie loves the red ball that, when it hits the ground, it glows and makes several different noises. And neither one of them have been able to chew through it. I have several of them in the yard, but only one of them still makes noise.

You guys, all your squeaky toy stories are too funny! Sounds like we need a squeaky toy hall of fame! My story seems to be just the tip of the iceberg! And yes, Rosebud, I will need all the help possible when I finally go over the edge and try to destroy the evil green squeaky ball! :lol: :lol:

JackieMaya - I actually had one of those monkeys in my hands at the pet store the other day! Yikes! A narrow escape!

K - Great news! I did some checking around about the Dyson "Animal" sweeper and have placed an order online for one of these machines. I just wear the snot out of regular sweepers - I have killed two uprights since moving into this house! So in a few days I will be joining the ranks of Dyson converts! Updates later!