Dogomania

Speaking of names

Malamum

The post about middle names was a great one and got me thinking about how people come up with the name for their dogs.

Where did everyone get their names from and what was the thought process behind them?

We named Indiana (Indy) after Indiana Jones. However after we had had him for a while I found out that George Lucas had a Malamute named Indiana and he actually named the character after his dog. So I thought that was pretty cool.

No real good stories. With Mary we were on our way home from picking her up and throwing out names at each other. The song Mary Jane started playing, and dh said I like Mary Jane. So it was agreed. I love that song and yes I know what it is about, I just dont care.

Stewart (James/Michael/Anthony) is being named after a few different things. First and foremost after Nascar driver Tony Stewart. He is our driver and he is fast and furious, just like a Jack. Also (and this is obsure), there was a show on Fox called the Family Guy. There was a baby that talked and was a genius. His goal was to take over the world. It is one of our favorite shows, and Stewie our fav character.

Silly I know! :roll:

My story isn't all that substantial either. On our way home from picking up Roxie, we were trying to think of a good name for her. My dad started calling out a bunch of random girl's names...one of them was "Roxanne." I didn't really like Roxanne, but then I thought of Roxie and for some reason it just fit and everyone in my family agreed...so Roxie it was! The funny part is that it turned out that my dad was actually calling out all of his old girlfriend's names...so to my mom's delight (lol), Roxie is kinda named after one of my dad's old girlfriends! :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Well Brianna i got from watching that movie with Pamela Lee "barbed wire" she had a rottie named brittany i like the idea of giving her a girls name but didnt want to copy. SO i named my dobie Brianna, a very nice and sweet name. I really miss my girl. :cry:

Odyssius i got from mythology, he was the king that used the Trojan Horse in the war. It was a kind of he is so sweet but at the same time he can be very dongerous and protective. we just call him Daz around the house but when he get in trouble... he knows the full name well.

Dreydin... I dont know where it came from it just came.

Before I got Jesse the Belgian, I knew I wanted a purebred big black hairy dog. And I knew his registered name would include either, Rolling Thunder, or Heavy Metal Thunder. As it turned out, Rolling Thunder rather fit his style of running from the very back of the yard for the door so that is what it became. I always liked the name Jesse as a call name. I also liked Magic but felt Magic was more suited to a female.
Brittany was already named when I adopted her, I did briefly consider renaming her but my choice was shot down by my family. See, my choice would have been PUSHY BITCH or PB. Hey, it suited her.
Candy, well the name just popped into my mind. It suits her, she's sweet and bubbly and bouncy. My sister and I found her at night, by the next day my mom was calling her Sandy, I was calling her Candy. I told my mom since she was the first to give the dog a name, the dog was going home with her. Didn't turn out that way now did it!

:D
Princess Sally-Rose of Starr: Sally Forth was the name my breeder gave her when she was born. I liked Sally but wanted something different. I thought she needed to be a princess, my name is Rose (call me strange) and Starr is in her mother's name, her Grand-mother's name and in a very famous Dog in her mother's line.

Caleb's Maximus MoRocco Smith: Caleb is his daddy's name, Maximus is for the ultimate challenge her faced at birth since he wasn't breathing at birth, MoRocco was again the name given by the breeder and Smith is the breeder's last name (again call me strange).

Rare Find's Sandcastle: She had already been named Sandy when I got her from my sister, I wanted a name that Sandy could be a nickname from, Rare Find's was the kennel name she is from and Sandcastle just fit perfect.

Miss Kitty: Already named when I got her, but boy does it fit.

Pumpkin: My parents brought him home from the horse barn, when my father caught him he scratched up his arms pretty bad. I went to pick up the kitten and my dad said watch out "He's a tiger!", he rolled over onto his back in my arms and started making biscuits in the air and purring loudly, I replied to my father "He's not a Tiger, he's a ....... a Pumpkin!" All I could think of since he's an orange tabby. It fit and we kept it.

:angel:

Alex was already named when I got him.

Freebee came about because the lady was trying to sell the puppies as
"purebred GSD" (she's a lab mix) and when I pointed it out to her she gave me the dog for free. Turned out she wasnt able to sell any of them, and half of them ended up at the shelter..... :evil:

Not realy a story involved with ours, but here goes.

Kavik - DP had it in for this name since she was 11, and it means little wolf. Suits him too, regardless of the fact that his name was pre-ordained.

Tyr - When we rescued him, I wanted to call him Balder, but DP and Ford thought that was dumb, so they veto'd it. So I moved on down my list of Gods (and NO, I wouldn't name a dog Odin or Zeus), and found Tyr, God of Justice etc. They accepted with mild reluctance, but we love it now. I couldn't think of another name for him if I had to. Technically in Norse mythology Tyr loses an arm to the great wolf Fenrir, but we are going to ignore that fact in favor of Tyr's (the dog) health.

Zaphod - We couldn't decide on a name until we started finding random names out of books we liked, and stumbled upon Zaphod Beeblebrox, from the 'Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, a trilogy in five parts' by Douglas Adams. Zaphod, throughout the books acts stupid so that people will have a lower expectation of him (and also because he altered his brain...) and so comes across as an [i]idiot savant[/i] whenever he has a good idea.

When I adopted Jackie, the name the rescue shelter (who had her for about four days) had given her was Ashley. My dad said he didn't like the name Ashley, so we had to come up with a different name. When I was a kid, every dog we had was named Sandy, and I figured we didn't need to continue on with that tradition. My last dog was a once-in-a-lifetime Golden Retriever name Crackerjack's Prize (nicknamed Cracker), so I named her Jackie in honor of him.

Maya was already named when I adopted her, and she had been an owner-surrender, so that had been her name all her 1-1/2 years, so I kept it.

Sassafrass got her name because she is a Jack Russell Terrier and we thought she'd have a sassy personality, as it turns out her names suits her to a T ! Her middle name is Louise and I gave her that because when something goes wrong I always say "Geez Louise" .
Gretchen Josephine (Lab/Rott) got her name because I wanted a somewhat German name and her Grandma's name was Greta . Josephine is my elderly neighbors name and Gretchen was her favorite of my dogs.
Maisy Mae, Jack Russell Terrier got her name from that cute little Maisy Mouse show for kids and Mae just seemed to fit with it.
Kato Kitty (Orange Tiger cat) got his name from the Pink Panther Movies, Kato was the asian houseboy that always jumped out and attacked Inspector Clouseau (sp.?) and kept him on his toes !! :lol:

When Rocky was a pup, he used to chew on rocks all the time so we named him "Rocky". His middle name "Kadon" came from spelling Nodak- where we got him- backwards. Not too special, but it's my story.

Kodak got his name when I had to go to the store to get TONS of film for those "kodak moments". I thought of it... and it was practically vetoed by my family (great support there, eh?) but I stuck to my guns and eventually they excepted it. It ended up really suiting him, though. He never had a mid name because he didn't live very long- *cry*

Shadow got her name because of the fact that she looked like a shadow, followed me like a shadow, and because my fav character on my fav movie (Homeward Bound) was named shadow. Her mid name I just thought of out of the blue, I was lookin for a regal, nice, and gurlie sounding so I thought of Josephine.

[color=red]My mom just came by, took one look at what I was typing and told me to say this, so here it goes:[/color] (she thinks I'm really a dog in disguise)

I got my name when my mom and dad where looking at the credits from their fav sitcom (don't ask me which one it was) and someone named "Chelsea" was on there. So, they both liked it (after much debate) and that's how I got my name. My mid name is named after my deceased step-great-grandfather "Joe something-or-other". That how I got my name.

When I took Candy to the SPCA, I told them I had been calling her Candy. When I went back to see if she had been adopted, I found out they renamed her Skittles as they already had a dog named Candy there. When I brought her back home to foster..er stay forever, tossed the name Skittles.

Zebra got his name from the British TV show "Changing Rooms". The day before I adopted him I was watching an episode of the show and they were redecorating someone's bedroom and they had a faux-zebra skin throw and I love the way the British say Zebra it's sounds more like "Sebra". BUt that night I told my mom that if we ever got a dog I would name him Zebra but pronounce it 'Sebra'. The next day we went to PetSmart where every Saturday morning the local Animal shelter comes and has a bunch of dogs and cats that people can adopt. Anyways I always look at the dogs because I've always wanted one and I saw this little puppy in the very back with all these other puppys and he was the cutest. I asked If I could see him and they took him out and I noticed that on his left back leg he had zebra stripes running down his leg. I guess it was kinda fate.

Zebra also has a million nicknames but my favourite is 'Doggie Darko', like the movie 'Donnie Darko'.

Hi,

I'm new, hope I'm not barging in cos everyone else seems to know one another here! :)

Floppy - Originally named Bibi (from the shelter) but we hated it, so we renemed her Floppy (after day 2) for the ways she 'flops' (totally ungraceful!) around and they way her ears 'flop' when she runs. (Am cocker spaniel)

Cosmic - Because he is so smart! (Was the first puppy to recognise us the second time we visited him at the breeders!) and also because it sounds star-like. Turns out he's developing a small, white, star-shaped (okay, more like an asterisk) patch on his chest, so it's so COOL!!! :D

Daisy is really Daisy Parker. We live in Ridley Park and the snobby :icon_rock: people here call themselves "Parkers", so that is Daisy's full pedigree name....

Chelsea got her name from Rosie O'Donnell's adopted daughter. My daughter, Stephanie suggested that and it fit her :D

Blitzkrieg was originally going to be called Vince; we'd taken him home and were tossing around names, and I really liked Vince, but it just didn't seem to suit him. We had no idea what he'd been called prior to us adopting him, so we had nothing to go on except his appearance and personality. So my uncle actually thought of Blitzkrieg (no Nazi connotations though :wink: ) as that's the name of an informal wine club he, my dad, and a few other of their friends have. The name suits him perfectly because he's crazy, fast as lightning, and likes to divebomb other animals (especially Rinny). :D
Rin-Tin-Rin (Rinny)- fairly obvious where he got his name from! The original Hollywood GSD called Rin-Tin-Tin (who was found with his siblings and mother in a trench in France), the luckiest dog in showbusiness, is credited with saving Warner Bros from bankruptcy and delighted audiences everywhere with his tricks. :)
Tomson- his sire was called Tom, so Grandad decided after having so many German-named dachshunds he'd go for something simple- son of Tom= Tomson. :wink: