Dogomania

A bird chasing dog!

Crested

I just let Ben out on the yard. He spotted a bird (called harakka in finnish and Pica Pica in latin) looking like this:
[img]http://koti.mbnet.fi/~malmip/lintukuvat/harakka.jpg[/img]
and started chasing it around. Porr Ben just didn't realize that birds fly and he can't... So He ran home after takeing a pee at the nearest lamp post first! :lol:
So... I guess I have a bird chasing, opera listening, cat watching hairless dog. :o

Has any of your dogs started chasing birds or other stuff like that?

/Crest

Are they called Magpies in english? Wow, I learn something new every day! :lol:
The only problem is... He ran straight through my neighbourg's yard and straight to the middle of the road. Then the carefree little fellow came home when I called for him! :lol:
He's a good dog! I'm so proud of him that he didn't run away from home (again).
Do you think fixing him will stop his running away to mark his territory and looking for girls, because tomorrow is the big day when the vet remuves his nuts :lol:?

/Crest

Your magpies are prettier than ours!!

This is an Aussie magpie
taken from this site: [url]http://www.mangoverde.com/birdsound/picpages/pic186-9-2.html[/url]
[img]http://www.mangoverde.com/birdsound/images/00000000941.jpg[/img]

There is also a footy team called the Magpies- you must hate them on sight, because everyone who doesn't barrack for them does LOL (kind of like Man United in English football).

Awww....what a sweetums! :D Rowie is SUCH a bird dog! And I mean it! When she sees a bird she goes CRAZY! And I mean it! She goes so crazy that it's cute! Her ears prick up, her tail goes up, and she chases it till the cows come home! Haha! Sadly, the bird flies away..so she doesn't have much of a chase! :lol: But still it's in her blood, you know, she's a retriever and all :lol: Boy do I love that pooch! :loveu:

Chase birds? My dogs EAT them. Shadow hunts them down like a cat, and if I don't get out there soon enough she'll devour them. Damn robins!! lol. We use to have two fields behind/beside my yard so we got tons of birds, so she got her fill. lol.

And Rocky is our mouser. He literally mouses... he'll sniff um out, dig um out, chase um, and kill um. And, once again, if I don't get out there soon enough he'll eat them. Sometimes I catch the two playing hacky-sack with a dead rodent. lol. Oh, don't u just love dogs?!? Rocky has also severely injured a goose that landed in our yard, and half way killed squirrles and chipmunks. And he's killed cats too. Shadow does get along wit the kitties though... unless they're in her yard. One more good reason to keep ur cat on a leash. lol.

:roll: My 2 huskies will catch birds and whatever else comes into there yard and kill them too. who knows what they have eaten that I have not seen. I don't want to know. I know my one ate something she shouldn't have about a year ago. She got a bacterial infection in her belly from eating something she shouldn't have. dogs gotta love them.

Winnie doesn't kill anything! :D (that's a loving lab for you!) The only think Sable kills (and eats) are bugs. :D She'll jump 5ft to catch one! :o
I would NOT put up with a dog who kills birds, much less cats! :o :x I yell at my cats when I see they've caught a bird. :agrue: I've also pulled a snake (garter) from my cats mouth. She's a bird cat and thinks she can fly. :roll: (has also fallen in the creek, thinking she can jump off a limb and not fall :lol: )

Once when I was dogsitting a collie named Keeper, it attacked two mating robins as they fell from a tree. One flew away, but the other I put in a box and carried to the corner store to see if they might know how to get the bird some help (I was ten)

Hehehe. I too have a Bird-chasing dog. Except he ONLY chases them when he has his 20 foot leash on and i'm at the other end of the leash. :o Zebra is a picky dog and only chasses after Crows. When he see's one land he will back all the way up into me and take a running start thinking that he will be able to get it. Which wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't on the other end of the leash!!! I have to "put on the breaks" and dig my heals into the ground and crouch down to brace myself for the pulling...because once he gets a running start I can't stop him! And if Zebra see's the flying in the air he will try to jump up and get them..of course they way up in the air and he can bearly get a foot off the ground. Silly dog! :P