Dogomania

Studding

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am thinking about putting my smallest male up for stud. Undertaker's Tombstone Piledriver. He has great qualities and pulls well for his smaller sized body. Again, only thinking. I don't know if I want Undertaker Kennel blood anywhere else.

Guest Anonymous

Do you go by another kennel name?? I am asking because there is a kennel REGISTERED with that name (breed APBTs). Only asking cause I know they use the web and if they see their name being used they get VERY upset. How long have you been breeding and how long have you used the name??

. I don't know if I want Undertaker Kennel blood anywhere else[quote]

Although mushing is not the same sport as weight pull, I encountered a similar attitude from a musher that I had contacted about finding a male Alaskan for stud. His opinion was that his bloodlines were so good that if he began breeding his lines out, all the mushers that had his bloodlines would be beating him at the races. :roll: What that said to me was that he had no confidence in either his training or feeding/nutrition programs and was relying solely on bloodlines. While good bloodlines raise the chances of producing a truley great dog, they are not the only thing.
Feed 'em good, train 'em good, treat 'em good. That's the best formula to apply. By the way- the aforementioned musher is now out of the business- the bloodlines that he refused to improve began to get less and less competative. Just my 2 cents.

Guest Anonymous

LOL, I was just kidding about the blood thing. Also, no, I don't go by another name. My kennel is UNDERTAKER KENNELS. It is in bold print on my front doormat. I only just found out about the other Undertaker Kennels. Do you think I'm going to change my name just because of another breeder? NAWWW! :lol: I love my kennel name. The other kennel has a female there named Miss Leaky. I saw her. I have been breeding for a little over four years and have used this name the entire time. Now if there happens to be some type of law saying that 2 kennels can't have the same name, then oh well.

K, the only showing I do is weight pulling. The dogs are registered with papers and all that jazz, but weight pulling is all I do. I am not a real fan of showing dogs like you are thinking. And yes, he has fantastic charcteristics. I know of all the sick and homeless dogs out there, but some people do want to do weight pulling. Which is one of the main reasons I breed. I don't surplus breed either. The current litter is only my third in four years and my dogs tend to have smaller litters.

Guest Anonymous

I think that if someone KNOWS the name belongs to someone else and decides to use it anyway is trying to get people to think they are that kennel. Trying to get credit for what that kennel has accomplished. The REAL Undertaker Kennels has been registered for SEVERAL years. Why would you use a name of someone who is already accomplished? Kinda sad you couldnt come up with your own name.

[color=blue]Putting him up for stud where? What health tests has he been certified for? OFA's hips & elbows, eyes, heart, hearing, thyroid?

Seems to me that if your dog were such an excellent example of the breed (and I am not saying he isn't), breeders would be coming to you to use your male, you wouldn't need to advertise on a dog message board.

Is your kennel registered with the AKC?

Just because dogs are good at weight pulling does not mean they should be bred. :( This has nothing to do with how healthy the lines are or how the dog conforms to breed standard.

:lol: Good call bullygirl :lol: [/color]
[quote]It doesn't matter who had the name first; what matters is who the name is registered to. I could pee in a bottle and call it pepsi but that don't mean it is.[/quote]

I would think that you can register a business name (ie. Pepsi Cola), that way no one else is allowed to use that name.

However if Kennels are not considered a business and don't need to be registered as such then of course there will probably be kennels with similar if not the same name. The US is such a huge place that I would think it wouldn't be uncommon to get duplicate names.

Do Kennels need to be registered as a business?

I don't believe they NEED to be reg kennel names but they work on reputation. let me make up an example. There is a famous breeder of APBT called Hall and I believe his kennel is named after him. If I started a kennel named Hall as well I would be using his reputation to futher my dogs. legal maybe but ethical? no. not in my opinion.

Here is MY 2 cents worth. OK. What if UndertakerKennels (the one you talk to) didn't know that that was their name until later? I mean, she DID say that she only found out about the other Undertaker Kennels. I am sure she wouldn't steal someone's kennels name and try to claim it as her own and then use different names for the dogs! I mean, even I wouldn't be as stupid to do that. Unless I have been :drinking: , which isn't at all rare.

Well, I don't think that it's wrong to have a kennel name that is already registered to somebody else, but you didn't know about it. But, since you do now know about it, I think you should change the name. There are a lot of good names out there. And maybe you could use a name that is close to Undertaker like Overtaker or Under-the-Table (lol... just kiddin). Could you maybe use a different spelling? Like, UnderTacker... well, maybe not because that looks like under-tack-er. That wouldn't work.

Bullie Girl:

Company of not you CAN NOT copy right any word commonly used or accepted you can only copyright how a word is DESIGNED. I know this for a fact, first I have a sister as a lawyer, second, the breed club I am a memember of had a LONG and detailed discussion of this common "problem" in our anual breed magazine.

If I want to call my company the Purple Camel and sell windows and some one else comes along and sells doors and they call themself Purple Camel, then there is NOTHING I can do about that. However, if I write Purple camel in a particular desing, like Big Balloon purple letters they cannot write Purple Camel the same way...the DESIGN is what is copy righted not the word. (now if they wrote it in green letters they could argue) If I come along and name my compay Pafoos then Yes, I can copyright that word...the word is a made up word, and not recognized.

A while ago the pet product company Fourpaws, wrote mass letters to people who were doing buisness under the same name. At the time I had a boarding kennel named four paws, and guess what there was another boarding kennel with the SAME name about 50 miles west of me too...any how...the Fourpaws pet supply company wrote threatening letters to ANYone using those words...guess what...my lawyer, as well as the lawyers of others, told them to go soak their head...four and paws are common english words and CANNOT be copy righted. Fourpaws the pet supply company could not do a darn thing no matter how much they whined and cried.

You can also copyright a phrase, or combination of words, as long as the words are not "common". Such as the Phrase "don't you wish everybody did" which is a phrase that belongs to the Dial company for their soap...if Walmart were to come along and use that as their "catch phrase", then yes, Dial could raise a stink.....

The word Cola cannot be copyrighted, the word, coke, or pepsi is.
I.e. coca-cola and Pepsi Cola.

Ethics has little to do with what is legal....you can have something that is ethically wrong...but not wrong in the eyes of the law....there are many "good breeders" who share like or exact kennel names.... A name is a name, I guess some feel that a name doesn't guarantee quality...I do understand what you mean...but...lets face it...everyone's ideals about what is ethical is different.

Guest Anonymous

How nice to come onto a board with straight talkers, --no offense but so may are just so inclined to beat about the bush its untrue :lol: