Dogomania

Dog doors for big dogs

JackieMaya

Does anyone have dog doors for their big dogs? My two girls weigh 65 pounds and 75 pounds (Golden Retriever mixes). They spend a LOT of time in the back yard playing, and I thought it would be nice if they could come in and out at will (while I'm there). I have a screen door, and I think having a dog door in it would be nice. Or do they make whole screen doors with the doggie opening?

Yep, I've got the biggest one you can get here in Australia without getting one custom made.

It has an aluminum frame rather than plastic so it is quite sturdy. However it needs to go in the wooden door rather than the screen door so we just took our screen door off.

I believe the brand is Staywell and I got the extra large size. Judging from the size of your dogs you could probably just go with the large. I had to do a fair bit or ringing around before I could find someone that stocked the extra large.

I actually would like to find one that can be put in the wall next to the door, the reason being that in the winter here I need to have the storm door closed or it gets really cold in here. The problem is I cant find one for a 75 and 90 lb. dogs
It would go into my back yard and I could lock the gate and the door when not here.

My only fear is that a door that big would let a house invader in easily.
So unfortunately I couldnt let them come and go at will. I'd have to be here.....

It would be nice if they could let themselves out and back in when they wanted to....during the day while I'm at work.

But then again, since they're both escapists, maybe not....LOL

:D

There is a pet door company called Pet Doors USA that make the best dog doors. They cost a lot but they make one that is very insulative for cold areas and fits in the wall. It doesn't have just a rubber flap, it has plexiglass doors (double doors) and is very quiet. They stay open for a second and don't slam the dogs tail. They also have a steel plate you can put in for security. I don't remember the website name but you can do a search for the above name. Check 'em out! Over time I think getting the best door would pay off. I just made the plunge myself. :Dog_run:

Guest Anonymous

I bought our XL doggy door from Home Depot, they had the best prices and more sizes in stock. The one we purchased for $60 is plastic, with insulating rubber flap. Nothing too special, but it does the job perfectly. Petsmart had some nices ones but they didn't carry any big enough for my apbt's. I live out in the middle of nowhere so intruders are little concern :roll: