Dogomania

Previous post about worms/fasting, natural remedies

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Sorry, dont have the time to look up the other post but wanted to get this info out before someone ATTEMPTED to fast their dog to kill worms. Doing a complete fast will not kill the worms but will kill your dog. If the worms have nothing to feed on they will feed on your dogs stomach, which in turn will kill your dog. You can put them on a short 24 hour liquid fast, with water, but you will still need to give him Vermex caps with charcoal tabs in water or an electuary for 3-7 days. You have to continually repeat the process.
A couple of easy, NATURAL, ways to kill worms is:
1. Mix 1/2 tsp of garlic powder and a pinch of cloves and sprinkle it on your dogs food daily until the worms are gone. You should then give them something to rebuild their immune system... spirulina or, I like Green Foods BARLEY DOG, for a month.
2. Garlic, mullein/myrrh blend, echinacea or black walnut extract diluted in water, or mugwort tea will also work.

I dont remember who posted that fasting would kill the worms. PLEASE dont do this. It will kill your dog!!

Guest Anonymous

That's a really silly idea! :o On Hazel's diet, she's supose to fast one day outa the week, but I feel bad about doing that even!! Sometimes she'll miss the morning meal because if I forget to make dogfood, but she get the meal later on that night, and this if happens only happens once outa the week anyway! I can't believe anyone would want to fast their dog to kill worms! That's rediculous! (sp?)

I was watching a tv vet one day and the vet was kneeling next to a Basset hound saying that naturally dogs would only eat a few times a week so to only feed your dog every second day. I was thinking, what kind of moron is this dude? Yes, I do agree that a dog like a kelpie fed every second day would probably do quite fine, and I'd be one of the first people to stand up and say how great it is to fast a big dog once a week, but he was sitting there with a [i]basset hound[/i] :roll: Breeds such as small breeds (eg, basset hounds) and deep chested breeds need to be fed twice a day, yes, deep chested breeds can go on a fast for a day, but to be fed only every second day and gorging each time would more than likely kill them, and small dogs on the other hand just couldn't keep up their blood sugar levels and would get very ill.
Some people just have stupid ideas and I think in cases like these common sence should prevail. :roll:

My husband and I stopped at a pub while on holiday last year and there were two border terriers in the bar. We were admiring them and making a fuss of them while we ate our food, the owner came over and said not to feed them anything which we wouldn't anyway, he then went on to say they only got fed 3 times a week because they were working dogs (used to catch rats) and that they wouldn't work unless they were hungry. I told him I didn't think that was right and considered it cruel, but he said most working dogs were treated like that, I've never heard of that before, has anyone else? :roll:

Wouldn't work unless they were hungry? That is the biggest load of crap! Working instinct is just that....instinct that comes from being selectively and well bred for a certain task. Their genetics is the drive that makes them a good "ratter", NOT whether or not they were fed that day. That is just ridiculous! Some people are just hopelessly STUPID.

Our Kelpies are fed EVERYDAY, regardless of the weather or what we've got planned. They work because of their genetics, NOT because they were fed or weren't fed. :roll:

Stupid people shouldn't breed!

....and further more: having a strong prey drive to catch rats has absolutely NOTHING to do with whatsoever if they've been fed or not. Geez, will the ignorance ever stop?

That is an old, a VERY old, wives tale. Like putting a nickel in the ear of a horse that isn't broke. By putting the nickel in his ear, he won't buck. Totally unfounded. :roll:

.....and lastly (I think) --- going without food, causes stress. Stress can cause a number of secondary illnesses and even death.

Going with[b]out[/b] (edited to reflect "without") food causes a drop in blood sugar in any breed (including humans), causes weakness, irratibility, light headedness, constriction of bloodvessels (headache), memory loss, etc...

An animal is not at their potential unless their nutritional needs are met.

Guest Anonymous

I agree.

[quote name='Hobbit']Going [b]with [/b]food causes a drop in blood sugar in any breed (including humans), causes weakness, irratibility, light headedness, constriction of bloodvessels (headache), memory loss, etc...
[/quote]

I think you mean [i]without[/i]? :wink:

That was my post and it was highly misunderstood!

First, no 'home remedy' should be undertaken lightly. I believe in having a vet to 'supervise', preferably holistic.

The dog must be in good health first. The fasting is a one day fast (adult dogs only in good health) and many people do this anyway as a more natural method as dogs don't eat daily in the wild. (yeah LOL all those wild dogs...) Using a one day fast on a healthy dog, the worms don't get fed. This is more for tapeworms which can be tough to get rid of. Again, the dog has to be healthy! If the dog is succumbing to the worms, this is not the way to go! But many dogs and cats aren't really harmed by tapeworms, they are just kinda gross and they waste your food LOL. The fast weakens the worms which helps natural remedies do their job. You break the fast with meals that include roughage to help get rid of the worms along with homeopathic remedies.

Again, this has been highly misunderstood!
You cannot fast a dog to get rid of the worms. A SHORT and researched fast and program can help your overall worming IF you are using a homeopathic method of worming for a dog that is not being overwhelmed by the worms under the guidance of an educated and licensed homeopathic veterinarian.

A dog that is not sick does not need to be fasted - certain illnesses of the stomach could require non-feeding, or light feeding, like after surgery, but fasting a dog once a week is a myth. It will not improve their health, and in fact, like was mentioned, will lower blood sugar and cause headaches, stomach cramps and general irritability. Now, I am a diabetic, and know ALOT about low blood sugar and how it feels....

People say that wild dogs and wolves "fast" for days at a time...not exactly true. "Fasting" is the deliberate attempt to not eat. Wild animals eat whenever they can - and they eat ALOT. They gorge themselves on whatever they can, and then hunt again when they have to. They are not "fasting" - they know their own body rythyms and hunt when the last kill has been digested and is no longer sustaining them. We dont need to do that with our dogs. We dont "gorge" them, they eat pretty much the same amount every day. There is no carry-over. I believe fasting is not right for a housepet.

Oh, I could just see my dogs' fasting day now: Shadow barking constantly at me, throwing her food dish at my head. Rocky paseing (sp) the house, crying from time to time.... yea, that's great for their health!!

Fasting is not good for your dogs' health at all. Huskies, at least mine anyways, don't eat constantly like Labs. They monator themselves... which is really nice. But, they do not fast themselves. Fasting is not normal, and certainly not healthy. (nice post court) It may weaken the worms, but it also weakens the dog. Catch 22 there.

I also do not believe that fasting is good for a dog... especially a house pet.

Guest Anonymous

I agree...it kinda cracks me up when people talk all about wild dogs and what is natural (please no one take offense at that!)....I really don't think there has ever in the history of this planet been anything comparable to a wild Great Dane.
I don't fast my pets. I don't fast myself and I'm sure that cavemen didn't eat 3 square meals a day but that sure as heck doesn't mean I need to fast!!

Guest Anonymous

Oops I just read the newer post.

You used to HAVE to fast your dogs before you wormed them for tapes so the medicine could work. The new medicines work without fasting.
A one day fast for an adult dog is the first step in the holistic approach most of the time but should ONLY be done with veterinary guidance.

If my dog ever got tapeworms this is the way we would go if the vet determined it was ok. Most likely we'd just have to use the other treatments longer. I'd certainly rather fast my dog for a day than use chemical methods as a first choice, and often those have to be given twice.

If a dog touches soil, then he should be on a regular deworming schedule. Parasites (internal ones) are soil borne, with the exception of tapeworms and heartworms (which are vectored by fleas and mosquitos, respectively).

Unless your dog lives in a glass bubble, he's going to pick up parasites at some point.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Hobbit']Care to post the location of the original thread, alicat?[/quote]

I think it's somewhere in care or health. I didn't post the thread. If I find it I'll post it for you. Didn't you find it yourself though and isn't that why you posted this? Or am I just confused? :lol:

[quote name='alicat613 lazy'][quote name='Hobbit']Care to post the location of the original thread, alicat?[/quote]

I think it's somewhere in care or health. I didn't post the thread. If I find it I'll post it for you. Didn't you find it yourself though and isn't that why you posted this? Or am I just confused? :lol:[/quote]

No, everything that was posted prior to when the nation wide worm hit and several of us were locked out ----- has been deleted.

Someone had posted a natural deworming recipe. It was on that thread, or another one.....I can't remember.

Guest Anonymous

I posted natural antiworming agents, but not an actual deworming program or 'recipe'. You can't really just give a worming instruction without being totally certain on the type of worms and the source and the dog and all.

I posted that often you may need to fast shortly (1 day as discussed in this thread) for either a natural remedy or some tape worm tabs still need fasting first.

Adding raw grated carrot or ?there's another veggie you can use but I forget to the diet helps push out more worms.

Freshly ground (coffee grinders work great) raw organic pumpkin seeds (easily obtained at Trader Joes) are great especially I believe for tape worms.

To really worm naturally you need to consult a holistic vet. There are tons of books and sites out there that will give amounts and schedules but I am not that comfortable with that. Although homeopathic meds are 'natural' it doesn't mean that they are 100% safe all the time for every dog and situation. Wormseed is the usual choice though for homeopathic solutions.

Nothing to do with worms, but there seems to be some misconceptions about fasting. This is not a bad or abnormal thing. There is involuntary fasting and voluntary fasting. Some dogs fast themselves naturally. It allows the kidneys, liver and other organs a chance to rest. It also helps for detoxification of any impurities and toxins and allows the system to cleanse and heal. Animals who aren't feeling well will also fast. If this is done the animal should remain inactive and always have access to plenty of water or broth. As well healthy wild animals will gorge and rest for a couple of days because they might not be able to catch dinner for another couple of days. When people say fasting is not good, this is not necessarily true. If the dog is ill, pregnant, older, or such, they should not be fasted for extended time and should be watched closely.