Dogomania

scared

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi, I was brought up to belive that all pitbulls will attack!! So I bought one. LOL I have a three year old son and a white snoodle (small dog) I wanted a big dog to love and protect me, seeing that if someone was to come into my home my other dog would pee and run. Well I have fell in love with my texas red nose pitty... But now people will not come to my home because I have a pitty and I find my self saying it is not a pitty .......lying!!! and she is beautiful and loving with me, my child and my 5 year old snoodle, people are telling me that my dog will no longer be a sweet little loving pitty, please proof them wrong by answering my email and whoever reads this if you have raised a pitty and a baby at the same time please advice me!!! Thank you they are scarying me...... bad pitty haters.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Your friends couldnt be more wrong. The well bred Pit Bull is truely mans best friend. They are intensly loving to family and friends and even strangers for that matter. Now strange dogs is where you dog WILL change. Pit Bull are natural bred fighters, and you dog will want to fight most any big dog as it gets older. now with proper training that doesnt mean your dog will be this slobbering lunging beast whenever you see another dog, it just means NEVER let your dog off lead outside of a fenced in area. Make sure that your dog is NEVER unsupervised with any dog. Your Pit Bull will make a good family guard but a lousy property guard as pit bulls are not people aggressive. A stranger could walk up to your dog and lead it away and the whole time your dog would just wag its tail, thats how people friendly the breed is. A well bred pit bull is the best family dog beecause they are exceedingly tolerant of children they love to be rolled and played with and if you couple that with a pain tolerance that help with pulled tails and ears and a curious bite from a toddler you can see why this breed get along famously with children. Now it is a good point to mention NO dog should be left alone with a child. But you will see countless pictures of children sleeping with and on top of the family pit bull.

You picked and excellent breed and bullygirl is right, more than likely you will never own another breed. Good luck and Post some pictures, we love to see them.

Good advice Rott

The people across the yard have a Pitt and a Border Collie and kids -
and they all get along fine. Your friends are relying on all the horror stories they see on the news, which of course cant ever print anything
GOOD someone did - that doesnt sell as well....

I am going to rant. I really hate the news media most of the time.
People trust it way too much, without realizing that their JOB is to SELL
stories, and the more gruesome and awful the stories are, the better they sell. So they tend to air all the bad stuff that happens, and the good stuff
that people and animals do gets relegated to page 27 in the newspaper...

ok I'm done. Watch your pup for potential animal aggression, and I think you'll be fine.

Guest Anonymous

I have received some of the same responses to my ownership of a rottweiler. He is a fantastic dog for me and my daughter. He does have some issues, is shy and fearful of people he doesn't know, but has been one of the greatest joys in my life.

My 10 yo daughter has also received some flak at school, and at a recent sleepover at our house (her first big one, in fact) one of the girls told me she didn't tell her dad we had a rottweiler or he wouldn't have let her come! Just be prepared for that when you son gets older, and arm him with the correct information to disseminate to others.

The most important thing YOU can do is to train, socialize and make your dog the best dog she can be! The most significant thing we can do to change people's minds is show them our own well behaved, friendly dogs!

Guest Anonymous

And its not like you have to have a super dog, just basic Obedience is a really good display to passersby.
With drey we stop and he sits at every corner, just that alone makes people smile(well that an te fact that he is the cutest puppy in the world).
alsom socialization cant be overdone, the more people your dog meets the friendlier he will be, and also you dont want to be that guy. That guy is who i refer to when i speak about a trait that i would hate to see in one of my dogs. like when our walking your dog and there is someone across the street thier dog is barking and lunging on the leash and they are constantly say "no... sit...off...Please". you want to have good verbal control over your dog as pound for pound there is no stronger canine on the planet, and once they have thier mind set on something ther eis very little that can deter them. The good part there are intensely loyal and nothing is more important than making thier owner happy so if your dog gets the idea that you dont like him lunging and barking a well trained dog can simply be told no at the onset and the situation can be avoided. Pretty slick huh, try to include your dog in as much stuff as possible as it is never happier than when it is with you.

:D Your friends are uneducated about the characteristics and temperments of dogs in general. I have the same problem with my friends and my 2 RR's, even though when the dogs see them they have tongues out all the way to the ground and are wagging their whole bodies so fast that I think they are going to flip over.

Every dog will bite, it just depends on the situation.

Some breeds are more predisposed to people and dog aggression than others, but they still have to be trained to be aggressive, even if it's through the lack of being socialized.

All dogs, regardless of breed, that have been bred properly can be raised to be loving, social members of your family.

Socialization & Obedience Training are the keys to having a happy four-legged member of your family. It's all in how you raise your children, four-legged or two legged.

I would suggest you take the Canine Good Citizen Test and proudly display it to your friends. You might even get your baby certified for Therapy Work even if you never do any. That might calm your friends down enough to accept your baby.

:angel:
Good Luck,

Guest Anonymous

:D [b]Wow I am so supported, thanks so much this was very good information from everyone. I am in love with my pitty "diamond" and I will own another one for sure in the futher. Great feedback! another question if someone can teach me how to teach my 4 month old pitty "diamond" to walk with me on a leash. She will not come, she just sits there on her bum. People are telling me to drag her this to me is cruel, it will damage her throat so please give me some advice on what to do, becasue I want to take her for walks on nice days and I am in Oshawa, Ontario not alot of nice days yet so we still have time to practise. :angel: [/b]

:P First thing I would do is to buy a book on Teaching your Dog Obedience, get one for [u]your[/u] breed and one for dogs in general. Go to breeder web-sites and read what they have to say about training your breed. Every breed is different and responds differently to training methods. I have to bribe my RR's, but that's pretty much their breed, stubborn and very independent. But once they learned to respect me as Alpha everything else just began falling into place. Good luck with your new baby I'm sure you will have a long wonderful relationship.

:angel:

[color=blue]As long as training is fair, consistent, humane and effective the methods used can vary. I know several trainers who used fall under the misconception that using food was "bribery". These trainers thought "my dog is not going to be bribed into doing what I say." Now after opening their ears and re-evaluating they've found that food is a useful and effective training tool and not bribery.

First of all has your puppy had much on leash training? If the leash and collar is new to him, he has to get used to it first. If you drag the dog it will only cause him to resist the training and shut down. Training is supposed to be kept happy and fun. What type of collar are you using on your dog? You need to find what motivates this dog. Food, a toy, a ball? Remember to keep talking to your dog. I often see people concentrating on what they are doing they forget to talk to the dog. Talking to him will help keep his attention and focus on you which is ultimately what you want. Puppies this age love high pitch voices and sounds and are attracted to the noise so a squeaky high voice is best. Food along with a coaxing & praising happy voice is also effective. If you lure a treat in front of him he should be keen to follow. Keep him on one side and reward (treat) appropriate behavior (walking). Don't worry about formal commands like healing or come right now. This is the age where you should start looking into taking some obedience classes which will teach you how to teach your dog. [/color]

Obedience classes are an excellent idea - but here in the states the dog has to have all of his shots before he can start. In the meantime, let him drag a short 2 ft lead around the house, so he gets used to the feel of the collar and lead, but NOT if you are using a choke-type collar. A fitted leather collar is better at this stage.Then try to coax him into walking by having him watch someone make his dinner - then pick up the lead and walk him to his bowl.
This will make him think that walking on the lead means good things will happen. Once he gets used to it, he'll be in a better way to start obedience too, since they will require him to be on a lead. And since you probably wont have to pull him to his bowl, it will come naturally to him to let you guide him on a lead. Definitely dont pull him - that will put him in a bad feeling toward the whole lead to begin with. Remember to supervise him while he has the lead on, so it doesnt get caught on something and get frightened.

Good luck!

:D

Guest Anonymous

You should get pit bull for dummies. I have that book it was one of my firsts and i still run back to it. of all the books i have on the breed that one is the best all around. It is perfect for someone that knows very little about the breed it also has a great section on positive training with APBTs. you should try to get a copy, i swear by mine.

Guest Anonymous

:wink: Cool, that sounds like a good book I do have my pup in training classes signed up for April, which will be fun. This is embarrasing but my dog is a female and every morning I get out of bed I look under my bed only to find a bunch of my panties there and she licks them.....gross. One day she had all my pads ripped up and she was eating them do most female dog's do this, becasue my male dog does'nt!!! I now put all my panties in a closed lid hamper :oops:

I have two pits now and I have owned pitbulls all my life. I have found them to be the best dog around as far as being great family pets. I have never had a people aggresive pitty and neither have my friends. They will never back down froim a challenge from another dog though, this must always be remembered.

I hope the pit you have is from a reputable breeder. The reason I say this is because red nose red pits have a long and distinguished fighting history in the pit and because of this, unscrupulous breeders will often breed the hell out of a line with no regard for temprement. They'll mate grandfathers with daughters and the offspring with sons etc etc etc until the dog looks the part but have some serious mental problems. These are the dogs that end up attacking people and get splashed all over the news, doing the breed a HUGE disservice.

I cannot stress enough the importance of getting a pit through a proven breeder. A pit has the potential to be a lethal weapon and although their predominant need is to be loved and to be near their human family, if they have mental problesm and snap one day you have got your hands full. Stopping a determined pitbull from destroying the frisbee would be nothing compared to stopping one from trying to remove your face.

I have found that until your dog is about 2 years old, you are not seeing its true personality. By two years your dog will have worked out who he is in the world and will be a good, stable dog with no surprises. One of my dogs was as friendly as pie to all other dogs right up until she turned 20 months. Now if she sees a strange dog she wants to kill it but gets on very well with my other dog and cats.
Don't let that scare you any, I just think a pitbull needs a firm, dominant owner and needs constant reinforcement of rules or they'll end up sleeping in your bed, squeezing you off the sofa, or just sitting watching you sadly with their faces just inches from yours. (oops, methinks it's happened already)

Guest Anonymous

Thank you for your comment! I have a great breeder and just to let you know most dogs can be fighters and most pit bulls(ALL BREEDS) are known to be fighting dogs if you train them to fight or attack! I have two friends who will only buy red noses becasue of their beautiful personality, the oldest red nose I know is 6 years old and does not have an aggressive side to her, I have done my research to know that the way you train your puppy is the way it will act just like a child. So if you do your research you will see that all dogs can be trained to attack and all dogs can be trained to love and not be aggressive. :wink:

[quote]most dogs can be fighters and most pit bulls(ALL BREEDS) are known to be fighting dogs if you train them to fight or attack! I have two friends who will only buy red noses becasue of their beautiful personality, the oldest red nose I know is 6 years old and does not have an aggressive side to her, I have done my research to know that the way you train your puppy is the way it will act just like a child. So if you do your research you will see that all dogs can be trained to attack and all dogs can be trained to love and not be aggressive.[/quote]
Not true. Why do you think that pit bulls are the breed used most often to fight? It's because they're [i]great[/i] at it. It's what they were bred for for over 100 yrs.... and because of that, no other breed (as a whole, there may be some individual dogs of other breeds who could hold their own against certain pit bulls, but not great numbers of them). All that time of being bred to go against other dogs has led to several inborn traits in the pit bull...
First, "gameness"... there will be a dozen (if not more) different opinions on what constitutes "gameness", but here's a simple, broad one: the will to never give up, never quit, even when tired, uncomfortable, and in pain.
Second, complete non-aggression towards humans... in the past, if a pit bull (especially a fighting pit bull) bit a person it was killed (there are some cases in which the dogs were not killed, but they are few compared to those that were). It did not pass on it's genes, it did not "get rehabilitated". That left only the most stable dogs as breeding stock, which in turn has led to pit bulls being a stable breed today. Of course, you will find the occasional overly shy dog, or even out-of-it's-mind aggressive dog, due to BYBs and other people breeidng without consideration to temperment, but on the whole, the breed is one of the more stable out there.
Three, dog/animal aggression... you really don't think that 100+ yrs of being bred to kill other dogs/animals would result in a dog with no desire to do so, do you? Not all pit bulls will be animal aggressive, and there are varying intensity/levels to those that do, but most will show at least some, so it's a safer thing to assume your dog will become animal aggressive at some point, take precautions, and have a live, happy dog; than to assume that "it's all in how they're raised/trained, treat them like "any other dog", and end with a dead dog and a lawsuit because of it. I can give examples of dog aggressive dogs that coexist peacefully with several other subordinate dogs in a house, yet will go after a strange dog with such intensity that it's all you can do to control them... just as I can give examples of pit bulls that will control themselves until pushed, then "turn on" with that same intensity as described above... or those that will scream with rage anytime they see another dog... right on to those that have never so much as lifted a lip at another dog... YET. The fact is that MOST pit bulls will display some dog aggression at some point in their life, due to their genetic makeup, and if they get into a fight, they will in most cases have the ability to finish it, also due to their genetic makeup. The best you can do is train, socialize, and prepare for the day that you might find yourself staring at "another dog", because that's what you'll see if they get into a fight. Dog aggression usually starts to show between the ages of 1-3 yrs, but there have been accounts of dog "turning on" as late as 12 yrs, and as early as 4 months.

It's not all "in how you train them"... it's also in "what you got to begin with". You start off with a pup, that pup may have certain genetic predispositions... like dog aggression, or desire to retrieve, or desire to herd. Then you start training... it's like swimming in a river, you can go either against the current or with it. Going against the current will be harder, but you may not have much choice if the current is heading someplace you don't want to be. Of course, you may not be able to fight your way up the entire river to where you want to be, so you do as much as you can... or you could always just quit and go with the flow. The river is basically the dog's natural traits... and it's taking you to wherever/whatever the untrained, unsocialized dog will be like. You can fight it, but it may be a constant struggle at some points, and you will probably never completely "change" or "cover up" the dog's inborn traits, just as you may never make it up the way up the river against the current. Make sense? You CAN'T "train out" dog aggression. It will always be there... you may be able to control it with training and/or socialization, but the desire to act aggressively towards other animals will still be there if the dog was/is born with it. If not, then you're one of the "lucky" few who ended up with a completely non-animal aggressive dog, but better to be safe than sorry, right?

Guest Anonymous

Good to hear your red nose is from a good breeder. As I've said before, all pitbulls make great pets (if they're bred for temperment as well as for ability)
Over the hundreds of years that dog fighting has been going on, the pitbull developed as the best dog for the job. Within the "sport" were men who each had dogs and bitches which they swore could fight better and longer than other pits and they began to breed from them.
Eventually different lines of pit became available from different areas in the States, Ireland and Britian. They all took on the look of the champion fighting dogs in the area but were as pure pitbull as any other pitbull anywhere else. As a result they took on different appearances and became different lines. Some of the lines are Red Nose, Jeep, Colby and Morris and the people who bred these lines each made a big reputation in the dog fighting circles and the line's reputation became legend.
Now, all pits are either carrying on the line or are a mix of a number of lines but either way they are pure pitbull.
My dogs come from Colby lines. Colby dogs often have alot of white, are leggy, athletically built, large heads and loose lips. Other pits are small, very tightly packed together with defined, dainty heads and clean lips, others are muscular, Arnie Scharzeneger types with solid bodies and shorter legs and massive heads.
Each line has developed a fan base and that is why they are still many around today.
The fact remains that each line was developed because the owner was dead sure his dogs were the best fighting dogs in the area and, because fighting was his living, he would breed a dog that would try to fight even when it's back was broken but would not snap at its owner or yelp when it was being stitched up in a barn somewhere (rambo style) after a nasty, damaging fight.
Red nose red pits are gorgeous dogs and they also have a very long fighting history. A friend of mine has a red nose bitch and she's a total psycho with other dogs but is like a King Charles Spaniel with people.

Guest Anonymous

So true so true. 90% of what your dog is going to be like as an adult is determined at the time it is a pup. all the aggressions, are determined then. The way you shape your dogs interactions with the world, with other dogs and such will all play a part. Ive said it before and i will say it again the way to train a dog is to let it experience things and then correct behaviors you dont like.
If you are one of those overly protective people who never lets thier dog get close to other dogs because your scared of what it might do you will never know what it will do. You have to let your dog meet other dogs while it is young and then when you see the spark, the erect tail, steady stare, or hackles up, you step in scoop up your pup look it right in the eyes and give a firm NO!! let it know that aggression will not be tolerated on any level. Not to say that this will make your dog love other dogs but with consistancy it will definately keep you from having to drag your dog away while it lunges and snaps.
I know my rottie is dog aggressive so he doesnt get to interact with other dogs, but when i am in the park or on a walk i dont have to go across the street when i pass a house with dogs or get drug around by the leash when he sees a dog. Teach your dog basic OB and be firm, pit bulls have a great memory and will try to get away with stuff if you let it slide once then they will try it again, and everyone knows when is the time you want you dog to listen the most but it listens the least.... around distractions. So train around distractions, go downtown and practice heeling and sitting on the corner with cars and people around. Another hint the "watch me" command is priceless for a dog aggressive dog. When you notice your dog looking at another and getting antsy get him to look at you and ignore the dog get him to sit or down, anything will save you hassle and being made a specticle of. It really boggles my mind how people think they look tough when they have no control over thier dog, little thugs walking these slobbering monster dogs that couldnt care less about the commands they are given. Controling your dog is the key, to a happy and heathy relationship because a trained dog is a dog that gets to spend that much more time with its owner and is therefore that much happier.

Congrats on the red nose, beautiful dogs, i got a blue. I actually wouldnt suggest getting one without a lot of research into the breeder and the lines as so many people breed these just for the color that the temperment in a lot of yards is pretty bad. But if you can get a good one they are worth having too.
:black:

Guest Anonymous

So true! my white Snauzer terrier is a good house dog, but I can not take him around other dogs at all! I mean it he is a very good people dog and very well trained and smart but is very aggressive, I thought I would have my hands full with him being with my pitty pup but they get along so good. But neighbor has an american bulldog weighs about 137 pounds and Buddy my snoodle gets along great with the big ones but hates the small ones. I took Buddy to K-9 training my little dog acts like he can take on the world, my 5 month old red nose backs away when they play and diamond gets schooled big time and backs down and lays on her back to say I've had enough. Funny to see if you read my first story called scared, I was scared and never thought I would ever own a pitty but thats what happends when people are uneducated about the breed. :evil: bad pitty haters.