Dogomania

Crates: Metal or Plastic

Mary's Mama

Well I am finally starting to prepare for the new little one.

Just wandering what everyones opinion was on metal vs plastic crates and if you had any specific brands you could recommend.

Some things to keep in mind: He will most likely be no taller than 12" at the withers when full grown. I cant decide if he should have a 16.5" tall crate or 21" tall. He will be kept in the kitchen with gates and the crate open so size should not be too much of a problem when he is small. When he can go the whole day without an accident then we will put him in the crate with the door shut. Mary currently has a plastic crate and I would lean that way again but I dont know the advantages to the wire. The wire makes me nervous though, too many sharp edges.

So what would you do?

I use plastic pet taxi's for my dogs (lab and a husky.. both 75lbs). They work great for me, because like they said it gives them a more enclosed feel and I think they feel more protected. And they're pretty easy to clean.. although I've never cleaned a wire one before so I can't compare. I'd also go with the bigger one size... that's my opinion anyways. Just incase she/he gets a little bigger. And then there's always room for toys and such to be in there too.

[quote name='DogPaddle']I like the wire cause the dog can see what's going on, makes mine bark less.[/quote]

me too, my dogs have always seemed happier when they could see what was going on, i've never had any of them get cut or caught on the metal but i would look at it carefully just to make sure. my dogs, three of which were labs and one of which is a serious escape artist would have destroyed plastic but if your breed of dog is not likely to be destructive maybe plastic it'd be okay.........

i think they both have their advantages, i just like wire better.

I have several kinds of crates, cages and kennels in my house and I prefer, by far, the wire crates. I do have several of the plastic Vari style kennels, but I like the "openness" and easy accessibility of the wire cages. They are sooooo much easier to clean. All I have to do is slide the tray out from the bottom and clean it. Even though my dogs don't still make messes in their crates, they still need to be cleaned (they end up with a lot of sand in them :-? ). With the plastic Varis, I have to virtually climb inside to clean them. Another problem I've had with my plastic Vari style crates is that sometimes the spring thingy on the doors that latch them closed give out and I end up having to rig the gate closed. Almost all of mine have had the spring give out and then the gate is virtually useless. Then again, maybe I use mine more day to day than they were intended(?). I have never had any problems with sharp edges on any of my wire crates. No one has ever gotten snagged on anything that I know of.

Yeah, I REALLY do like wire crates over the plastic ones. I like being able to see all the way through. Also, the wire crates disassemble easily and fold flat for easy storage or transportation! :)