Dogomania

Cleaning Brushes Between Dogs

pzoo9

For a groomer, what is the standard for cleaning brushes between dogs? I am studying dog grooming and some [u]dog owners [/u]have told me that grooming shops can spread skin conditions. The information I have found on different skin conditions and how they are spread is conflicting.

The only cleaning method I have found is white vinegar solution or an anti-bacterial soap and water solution? Is that all I need? Any hints from OSHA?

The blue stuff = Barbicide. It's what I use to clean brushes, combs, hemostats (ear hair pullers), blades, etc. Perhaps I overdo things a bit (ok, so I'm *slightly* OC), but I change it out daily. It only takes a teeny bit to a whole jar of water and is relatively cheap. I am an absolute germophobe(?) in regard to not only grooming, but day to day life.

Actually, my state department of agriculture is the entity in charge of mandating cleaning "rules." Keeping your brushes clean between dogs is only the tip of the iceberg. You need to be conscientious of kennel cleaning, towel washing, table sanitation between each animal, tub sanitation, as well as the general grooming area including floors and, yes, even walls (you will be amazed at how and where hair and fluff will accumulate which can carry any germies). Just a good common sense approach to cleaning will suffice. My personal favorite cleaner approved by our inspectors is a water/bleach solution 32:1 (for kennels, floors, tubs, walls). You don't even have to be able to smell the bleach for it to be effective. Maybe that's not big news to you, but I was ALWAYS a bleachaholic, using it 1:1 with water. I figured if the fumes weren't knocking me down, it wasn't working (household use... got over that prior to kennel use). I'm not kidding when I say I HATE germies, so that whole bleach thing was a revelation to me.

All this to say that "the blue stuff" = Barbicide. :oops:

Good grief, get me talking about grooming and dogs and I just don't know when to quit. :-?

HF who is still talking and can't shut up...

Thank you everyone for all the tips. I am familiar with Barbicide and wasn't sure if that was ok for brushes. The sales lady at the warehouse I use wasn't very helpful. That is a definite investment then.

Also, the bleach and water is definitely a good idea. I am doing my practice work at home, and I don't want my other pets getting infected by anything. I am a fastidious sweeper and I have a cleaner from my vet, but it is expensive.

I thought about an autoclave, but I thought they were expensive. When I get an actual shop and I am doing more than one dog a day and have more equipment, that is a definite possibility.

I have a definite fear of mange and as a new groomer, I don't think I can be too careful. Thank you for your tips. -SHannon