Dogomania

WW2 Cause of Puppy Mills?

Prairie_Gurl

I was surfin the net and found this information on puppy mills. I've never heard of this before, and was wondering if anyone else knew about this? Is it true??

[i]After World War II, when farmers were desperately seeking alternative methods of making money when traditional crops failed, the US Department of Agriculture encouraged the raising of puppies as a crop. Retail pet outlets grew in numbers as the supply of puppies increased, and puppy production was on its way.
However, the puppy farmers had little knowledge of canine husbandry and often began their ventures with little money and already-rundown conditions. They housed their dogs in chicken coops and rabbit hutches, provided little socialization, and often eschewed veterinary care because they couldn't afford to pay. Animal welfare organizations such as the Humane Society of the US (before it became politicized by the animal rights movement) investigated conditions at these farms and eventually were successful in focusing national attention on the repulsive conditions at "puppy mills."[/i]

I found this at this site:

[url]www.canismajor.com/dog/puppymil.html[/url]

I'm not sure if I liked it or not. Leaning toward the not side. Sounded like a USDA-is-God-worthy kinda site. Uggh.

There is truth to the information. The US government gave and still gives, large grants or loans to any type of "farming" buisness, this includes dogs. You have to realize that dogs as *pets*...and I do mean *pets* has only evolved rather recently. Not long ago a good "working dog" was more valuable then a horse and while there were "some" breeds that were "pets", the majority functioned or died.

Pets, years ago, were more like ornaments or valuable jewles...

• 2 months later...

Is this true that so sad. :cry: I foster puppies/dog and i found it hard to give them over to people sometimes .We have a lot of puppy mills around here ,we have tried to shut them down but if they are people buying from them we will never close them down ,its heart breaking so see them in small cages and no water or just in a state that it makes you cry .Tracy&gangxx

I know how it goes. Almost all of the dogs in the pet shops are puppy millers, and that's where tons of people buy their dogs. And what can u do? I have a friend that just got a poodle, from a puppy mill by accident... or it could just be a backyard breeder. We're not sure. Anyways, it's so sad because you can't do anything about it. There's no laws saying that you can't run a puppy mill. Uggh. It makes me so mad!!

I was surprised to find out that at our local pet shops, Pets-R-Us, they sell dogs with breeders and health records. I thought they were from puppy mills too, and they are not :roll: They are not AKC, but some other certification I was not aware of. They say they come from "hobby" breeders???? Anybody ever hear of this?

I hate puppymills :evil: Here in Iceland is one puppymill and they have abote 150 dogs :( And I cant do anything to stop it :cry: :x
I hate this plase you kan see pichers of it here [url]http://frontpage.simnet.is/jv1/aboutdalsmynni.html[/url] so sad but true :cry:

here is one picher

[img]http://frontpage.simnet.is/jv1/Picture_0798.jpg[/img]

[quote name='abker17']i saw a petition on the site to help stop the puppy mill. If U sign U are helping. I signed... :cry: :cry: :cry:[/quote]

I signd to :) but the puppymill is still there and arent going anywere :cry: :cry: :cry: I'm maby going with my father this summer to see Dalsmynni. I'm going to pretend I vant buy a puppy from them (but I'm not goning to do that of corse) and then I can see the puppyes and see in what condition they are :evilbat: and then I can tell U :wink: