Dogomania

Worried Bout Boomer

Holz_Boomer

how big? could be ticks....get a magnifying glass and look close to see if there are little black things engorged with blood. If so, you can pull them off with tweezers and discard them. Crush them first so they are really dead....

If they're big - the size of like quarters, does he shake his head alot?

My GR used to constantly shake his head and got big blood vessel blobs from the blood vessels bursting.... I had them sliced open and drained every few years, but he had floppy ears. It's probably time to go see the vet...

Wow, Thank You Very Much..They are big..but not the size as quarters..but it's very hard to tell because the blood around it is dry and there's alot of it! No, he doesnt shake his head really but i have a feeling its ticks cause he scratches himself(back) with his back leg...I'm going to get a magnifying glass and see abotu what you said! VERYYY HELPFUL! But, will it hurt him? and how do i know what i'm taking off because there's so much blood? Thank You Sooooo Much!!!!I hope Your Right :D :) :D :) :wink:

Yes, I have a Wolfhound! We saved him, he was abandonned(dropped off on the street!) For the full story, look on my post called "New Member Here"..Thanks For the advice courtnek! Funny though, cause, right away, I had gone outside to see him and it was gone!! :P :lol: :-? :o So yah, maybe it was ...a scar???? i duno! But thanks Anyways! My baby's all better now :D

Thanks Yellow - I had forgotten to mention that. Ticksadhere themselves by inserting "suckers" into the skin. By twisting them off counterclockwise you also get the suckers to come out. If you pull them out straight sometimes the suckers stay in.

Kinda like a bee sting....

Y'know, as much as I love the Web, there is such a thing as TOO MUCH information.....

I read quite a few sites/topics on ticks, all of them have instructions on how to remove them, but some of them say "pull straight out" (something my vet told me NEVER to do, because of the sucker/clamp things they adhere with) and others said "counterclockwise" without ever stating why.

None of them said "clockwise" so there's probably some reason, I just havent found it yet....

Anyone else have an idea as to why counterclockwise is preferred?

:-?