Dogomania

Dogs and vacuums

Marble

Has anyone found any useful techniques for training dogs to vacuum? I've just been vacuuming up huge fur balls and piles of gritty chunks of who knows what from where. The whole while I was thinking, there must be some way to teach them to use a vacuum. I mean, we have dogs that do some really amazing things, why can't we design a dog friendly vacuum? We could make millions (of dollars). Just imagine all the ecstatic dogs owners. Maybe in the shape of a really big kong, or even a tennis ball so it's non-threatening to our canine friends.

Ah the vacuum - the evil roaring house monster nemisis of Kavik. There is no way I could get Kavik to vaccum. Kill the vac maybe but use it no. We are still working on desensitizing him to the vac. He will even protect the other dogs from it, he growls and warns them away if they get to close to it. It's like he's saying - "My God man, get away from that thing, don't you know how dangerous it is!"

I would be happy enough if I could figure out a way to convince these dogs to keep some of their hair on them. That could be their contribution to the vacuuming problem. I swear they lay in their cozy little beds at night dreaming of ways and places to deposit their fluff (like in the drinks I foolishly leave uncovered, or in the refrigerator... I wish I could figure out which dog is the one raiding the fridge at night and tell him to at least keep his hair out of there). A couple of these dogs don't just blow coat; they throw it. Ever seen projectile shedding? My husband keeps threatening to fire their groomer.

DogPaddle, that's funny. Out of eight dogs in my house, NONE of them are afraid of the vacuum (several have issues of being afraid of other things like storms, misplaced clothes and wind up toys, but NOT the vacuum... go figure). To the contrary, I often have to nudge them out of the way with it as they won't move for it.

Guest Anonymous

Daz is terrified of the vaccum, he tries to act tuff and will growl at it from a distance butt will turn over a table trying to get away if i turn toward him. Dreydin is the total opposite he runs right at the vaccum teeth first. I have to put him outside to run the darn thing because he tries to kill it.

Daz is a shedding machine i sometimes think there is a gorilla running around the house somewhere. Drey you can barely tell he sheds I LOVE IT.

Guest Anonymous

Hazel is SO afraid of the vacume! She will not get within 20 feet of it! She will run and hide as soon as the vacume comes out! Yeah, she may act "tuff" around people, but as soon as you get that vacume out, she's cowarding like a little baby! :lol: :roll:
Oh, the shedding is the WORST! I SO badly need to vacume my room right now, I was sitting there picking the dog hair off the carpet when I was talking on the phone tonight, and I swear, I got a pile the size of my fists put together, and I only got about a 3 by 2 area done of picking up fur! :o

D'oh! :roll: I wish I would have thought of vacuuming my dogs yesterday after they came in full of mud and dirt, especially Maya, my yellow Golden girl! She's like a little boy who splashes through all the mud puddles. I tried hosing her off, but she would have NO part of that! Now she's just plain dirty, and the floors are a mess! Jackie, my black Golden girl, keeps herself pretty clean. I'll try vacuuming them tomorrow and see what they think of it.

I vacuum my horse, and she absolutely LOVES it. I did vacuum Jackie once out at the barn, and she didn't hate it too much. I predict that Maya will bark like crazy and try to attack the vacuum (just like she was barking at the toilet plunger when I was putting it to use yesterday).

Aren't the dogs really scared of the noise a vacuum makes if you used it on them? Maybe it's because Blitz hates the vacuum and barks at it like it's Darth Vader. I don't think he's really scared of it though because he goes into play position to bark at it... maybe he will try to HERD it next time. :roll: :)

Roxie is terrified of the vacuum...but she likes to keep an eye on it! Even though she won't stay in the same room as it, she'll usually stand in the hall and follow (at a distance) the person who's vacuuming. I think she's waiting for it to make some tricky moves or something...lol :lol: silly dog

Guest Anonymous

and i thought only my dogs were crazy :) sometimes i think dresden reacts so strongly just to freak herself out, like she partway enjoys it, last night she hid in the wrong room and ended up crawling all around under a bed to get away from the vacuum :) lady is not as scared but she keeps her distance. i just thought it was a funny idea, just try to picture your dog vacuuming :)

Sassy (jrt) would love to kill the vacuum, :evil: but only when the power head is on , when the hose part is on , she stays away. Maisy(jrt) and Gretchen(Lab/Rott) just stay at a distance watching, not really afraid, just wary of the darn thing ! :o
With Sass , I just say no when she starts attacking it and she usually stops :wink:

Debbie 8)

Freebee would kill the vacuum in a heartbeat if it was alive - she growls, snarls, shows teeth, barks, gets completely out of control. Alex (so laid back almost comatose) would watch you turn it on and go back to sleep, but resented being moved because of it.....

MY solution was to ditch all the carpeting and get hard wood floors. Best decsion I ever made. I sweep up the area rugs with a dirt devil non-electric sweeper thing....

How old is Luka ? Sassy loves the hairdryer , even when it's not being used on her !! When I dry my hair , she runs in to be blow dried, she just likes the warm air. :D I started them out as puppies being blow dried, so I think it's just something they get used to. Sitting on the floor,have dog inbetween legs, with face pointing out away from you ,Start out on low setting and point it at the back and feet, I think they tend to freak out faster if it's pointed at their face or front. Give treats and praise while doing it, it'll soon be associated with good stuff !!!
:wink:

Debbie 8)

I know DP already posted about Kavik, but I am going to further it.
To Kavik, the vacuum cleaner must be a monster that occasionally escapes from the closet, and he tries to help me subdue it, so as I strangle it's long neck, and it tries to escape my grasp, Kavik attacks what he perceives to be the haunches.
And when any other dog comes near the vacuum, Kavik 'warns' them, rather forcefully that he, being the alpha, should be the one to fend off the intruder :)