Dogomania

Dog Books

DogPaddle

Guest Anonymous

Who's it by Mouse? Maybe I'll look for it next time I go to PG (man, I've got the BIGEST List of books I'm 'pose to get!! :o :lol: )
I think the best Dog Book I ever read (and I have TONES two shelves full actually, and I have a list a mile long of ones I wana get!!) was [i]Amazing Gracie[/i] Ugh... who was it by? Same guys who do the Three Dog Bakary... in fact it's about that... about how their bussiness started, and it was all because of a sweet little (well soon grows BIG! LOL) Great Dane puppy who's albino... I think... and she was deaf and blind... wait no, she wasn't albino... it said on the back of the book that she was, but she had blue eyes and I think she had some grey patches... or something, don't really remember, I read it a LONG time ago. It's got some great pictures of her, and really tugs at your heart. Gracie was rescued by this guy from a puppy mill, and she changed his life a lot. I BAWLED my eyes out in the end! :roll: :lol:

A couple of books that I have include:

[u]DOG TRAINING MY WAY[/u] by Barbara Woodhouse who was a really great dog trainer some time back. It's pretty good. My uncle gave it to me last summer, and I've read it front to back a couple of times. Chapters include:

1. EVERY OWNER A TRAINER~ about the cost of keeping a dog and how to give medicine, etc. Good wake up call to some people.

2. HOUSE-TRAINING YOU DOG~ about when to feed your dog (feeding schedual), and indoor kennels, kennel training, stuff like that.

3. EARLY TRAINING FOR ESSENTIALS~ about lead and collar training, training dog to stay alone, excessive barking, chicken killing (for farm dogs... unless u urban people keep chickens in your apartment lol), dogs that bite, and jumping up on people. Very good chapter.

4. MORE ADVANCED TRAINING~ name kinda explains it all.

5. TRAINING TO HEEL AND SIT~ training using a choke chain. Tells how to use a choke chain properly (with pictures). Trains heel work on and off leash.

6. CALL YOUR DOG~ name explains it all... basically the come command I think.

7. SIT AND DOWN EXERCISES: TRAINING YOUR DOG TO WAIT~ name explains most of it all.

8. DOG FIGHTS AND IGNORING OTHER DOGS~ my personal favorite. Tells how to break up dog fights (although I strongly dissagree with the method), and how to deal with dog aggressive dogs.

9. WAITING ON COMMAND~ a command for emergencies. and teaching stand too

10.DISTANT CONTROL~ working your dog from a distance

11. TRAINING YOUR DOG TO RETRIEVE AND SEEK BACK~ use of a dumb-bell

12. SCENT DISCRIMINATION OR FINDING OWNER'S DROPPED~ an article probably good for search-and-rescue or aid dogs???

13. SEND AWAY: BRIEF NOTE ON A LENGTHY ROUTINE~ sending your dog in a givin direction. good for agility maybe??

There's another book by Barbara Woodhouse called NO BAD DOGS, that's suppose to be pretty good although I never read it.

Another book that I like is DOGS DOG BREEDS AND DOG CARE by Dr. Peter Larkin and Mike Stockman. It tells how to choose a suitable dog to fit your lifestyle, like athletics should have a border collie not a basset hound. Touches on whether to get a male or female. The cost of keeping a dog. Touches on getting a mixed breed or full bred. How to chose a puppy, says not to buy from pet shops or puppy farms *smile*. Care for your puppy including a bed, toys, etc. Nutrition and Feeding. Grooming. Breeding- says not to breed but what to do if you choose anyways *frown*. Training, from socialization to working dogs. behavior problems of all sorts. Health Care and First aid. nutering and spaying. The breed groups (mostly akc i think but other kennel clubs too.) And tons of breeds including rare breeds like the Hungarian Kuvasz, Laekenois Belgian Shepherd Dog, etc. and common breeds like the lab and the German Shepherd dog. It's a pretty good book!!!

I don't have too many books, most of my information comes from personal experience, the internet, or other dog trainers. But, these ones are pretty good. Hope these have helped!!!

Hey, Newfiemom, perhaps you could start a lending library :lol:
One of the best basic books I have is 'Dogs and How to Breed Them' by Hilary Harmer. Not on training but as the title states 'breeding', it is in layman language and has been loaned to many friends having their first litters. It's an oldie, some bits might be behind the times but is still my 'bible on whelping'.

Guest Anonymous

Hey, just wanted to put in my two cents. I read a kazillion dog books before I got Dresden... The best one ever is by Brian Kilcommons, "Good Owners, Great Dogs." It the the most comprehensive, thorough, logical, responsible, extraordinarily well thought out book on dogs that I found. I actually bought it........Of course a friend who just got a Jack Russel puppy is borrowing it right now and is finding it just as useful. If I was going to tell someone who wanted to buy one book what to buy this one would be it. And no I don't sell it :) It also has very clear pictures to illustrate the techniques he talks about for training.

Here's a list of my all time favorite dog books:

[u]The Complete Idiots Guide to Rottweilers[/u] by Richard Beauchamp
[u]Breed Rescue[/u] by Sheila Webster Boneham
[u]Culture Clash[/u] by Jean Donaldson

Oh for the days when I used to have time to read non-college books.... :)

Rachel

Love to read good dog books, so this topic is great !! Here are some I have( general dog books).

DOG PERFECT:THE USER-FRIENDLY GUIDE TO A WELL-BEHAVED DOG , BY SARAH HODGSON

DOG OWNER'S HOME VETERINARY HANDBOOK (NEW 3RD EDITION), BY JAMES M. GRIFFIN,MD & LIISA D. CARLSON, DVM

K.I.S.S GUIDE TO LIVING WITH A DOG, BY BRUCE FOGLE, DVM

All the rest of my books are breed specific on Jack Russell Terrriers, I have 9 of them; and Labs, I have 5 of them. Be glad to list if anyone interested in those breeds.
I love to read all I can about dogs.

Debbie 8)

Dogpaddle - I have Dogs for Dummies (someone gave it to me) - it was pretty useless. I guess it's informative if you want to choose a new dog - it goes over their characteristics in a 1-page deal.
But nothing on training or behavior stuff.

I bought and read Dog Training for dummies, with information from Jack and Wendy Vollhard, but there wasn't enough detail to be terribly helpful. Then I bought Mother Knows best by Caryol Benjamin and I really liked that book. It was suggested to me by a woman running a dog rescue and I found that it contained lots of basic dog behaviors and why dogs do them. On the whole I found that most of the books I looked at lacked enough information to be helpful to beginers and since then I have wondered if the money isn't better spent on a good training class. Althought I have nothing against reading a good book now and then 8)