Dogomania

How does your dog ask for snuggles?

Lord_Pik

I was just wondering how each of your dogs let you know that they want snuggles?

If you are standing, Kavik will jump up and try to pull you down to him for a hug, or if you are sitting or laying down, he pull plop down beside you and put the top of his snout across your upper lip. And then there is the age-old method: Lift your hand with his snout onto him. The BC stare helps his efforts a lot too.

BK is not shy about being a sook. To get attention and pats he will do one or more of the following: whinge, bark, squeak, stamp his feet, run round the yard like a madman, lick any part of you that happens to be exposed, jump up, crash back down and thump all over the back verandah which SOUNDS painful but he doesn't feel a thing, nip your ankles/heels, run cirlcles around you, breathe all over you, put his foot on your foot/hand/thigh/lap so you can't go anywhere without him knowing, push his way between your arm and your side so his head ends up on your lap, oh and if you happen to be patting another dog... for Rinny he just pushes him out of the way, if it's a dog from the dog park he will ignore the dog and come up and get all shirty with ME. :roll: :roll: :D

It probably IS a dominance thing because BK is just one of those dominant dogs (I would hate to think what he would be like if he still had his balls :lol: ). But maybe it's not because we used to have a Cocker and a Basset and they used to do it too, and they were just "normal" dogs- not hyperactive, insane, annoying, bossy or crazy. 8)

Max, my rottie, will come up put his nose under your wrist or hand and flip it upwards. Repeatedly! If you do not come across with some head-rubbing he backs up a step at a time "roo-ing" all the way. Then once he has your attention he comes back and does it again, and again, and again until you give in. Another of his favorites is to come up to the chair you are sitting in (I have this wood & leather "lazy chair" that sits you close to the floor) and he will lay his whole big head on your chest and stare soulfully at your face until you spend some time sweet talking him.

Ben, my saint, has perfected the pathetic stare - the dreaded and powerful "eye"! He lays his big old head on your lap very gently (in contrast to Max who plunks his head down like a cement block) and rolls his eyes up at you. It's as though a giant question mark is blinking on and off just above his head - please, oh please, will you scratch my neck? The most powerful application of the eye is when he looks at you sideways with only one eye! Creepy to the max! He climbs up beside you on the couch, laying his head across your legs, scooching around until he is comfortable (at this point you are definately not comfortable), and then he rolls his head back so you can rub his neck and belly FOR WHAT SEEMS LIKE HOURS ON END! When you stop scratching he'll raise his head and look at you again!

If you are standing, Ben will come at you lowering his head so the top of it is parallel to your thighs. He then pushes right into you, forcing you to lean forward against him to maintain your balance. He expects a good, hard neck and backrub. Other times he will sit at your feet as you are having a good conversation outside and ever so slowly start leaning against your legs until all of his weight is resting against you. When that is accomplished he tips his head back until he is staring straight up at you! The famous saint lean! I'm sure other breeds do it too, but it's impressive when there's 150 pounds doing it.

Off topic, but fun - a couple of nights ago my husband got out his flute and we had a wonderful doggy concert! The flute seems to be the only instrument that will trigger the howling - the tuba, trombone, trumpet, saxophone, etc. don't do it for them (we have tried them all)! Great howling was done by all! I just love it when dogs point their noses to the sky and sing! What triggers yours? :lol:

Excellent snuggle tactics :D...glad to see a nice response to this feel-good topic.
As far as howling goes, usually if DP and I and occasionally Eric (if he's not feeling timid) will start howling ourselves, and the dogs will join in. It's a romping good time, followed by snuggles for all. Unfortunately, we don't get to do it very often :(

[quote name='behle'] I just love it when dogs point their noses to the sky and sing! What triggers yours? :lol:[/quote]

Our dogs are kind of used to trumpets, horns, trombones and saxophones practising all the time so they are immune to it. I've never heard Rinny howl and the only time BK has howled is when Tomson comes over and pesters him to the point where he just throws back his head and goes for it. Mind you I would too if I was being humped on the leg by a 10kg bonsai dobermann. :drinking:

:D Great tantics, but I don't think anybody can beat my male RR when it comes to insisting on a snuggle. If you are sitting he will come and put his nose in your face and sniff, if you ignore him he will then plop down with exasperation in a sit or down and start saying/howling MaaaaaMaa! It is the cutest thing in the world my RR can actually say MaMa. His sister on the other hand will bury her head in your lap and give you a snuggle first. Both of them will start rubbing up next to you if you are standing. :angel:

Shadow, who's a 75lb Lab, will come and just sit in my lap (yea she still fits!!!!) if I'm sitting down. And when I'm in the computar room, where she's not allowed, she'll sit in the entranceway and talk to me (bark, growl, whine, and noises that have no name except: Shadow's Voice) and then she'll give me The Look, which you all know what that is. Rocky will give you the Pathetic Paw, which is basically just a shake when you don't command him to do it, but he's so old and he does it so pathetically you just HAVE to hug/pet him!!!

Both Shadow and Rocky "sing" when I'm playing my trumpet. Rocky can hit any note possible, I think you call it a soprano??? And Shadow has this low, loud, pathetic, sad sounding howl... I think it's a bass???

Oh, does anybody else's dog throw their food dish at you??? Shadow thinks she needs food in her dish 24/7 so she throws it at me, even when I just fed her. LOL.

[quote name='bk_blue']BK is not shy about being a sook. To get attention and pats he will do one or more of the following: whinge, bark, squeak, stamp his feet, , jump up, crash back down and thump all over the back verandah which SOUNDS painful but he doesn't feel a thing, nip your ankles/heels, run cirlcles around you, breathe all over you,[/quote]

ditto all of these for dresden....they sound so much alike :o her most recent thing is that when i'm trying to work online, she comes up and drapes her whole front end and legs over my lap and then tries to climb up......which is not very effective since she's getting so much bigger. she also does this hysterical whining-groaning-moaning-yawn that is hilarious, usually when she wants out of her crate in the morning and she knows i'm watching her. she also has started politely (miraculously enough) resting her fuzzy muzzle on my leg or whatever she can reach to try to get me to pet her (it works :) ).......oh, and dresden comes up and pushes on you with any part of her body she can, her whole torso (or whatever it's called with dogs :)) or her rear end....lady is very polite and gentle, she comes up and stares with her gorgeous eyes and bumps your arm or does other nudging manuevers.....

on the big dog leaning thing.......i am like a 110 pounds and once met this 200 lb english mastiff-one of my favorite breeds- and after petting him for a minute, he sat on my foot and leaned on me so hard i almost fell over :)

Guest Anonymous

Hazel usually wants to play more then snuggle, and so the thing she does most is drop her gross slimey Kong on my lap! (She found I get the best reaction when I'm eating too! :-? )
If she wants a snuggle, she will put her head on my lap and SIGH, then look up at me with those fixating Border Collie Eyes!
If she REALLY wants to cuddle, she will paw at me... but usually she only does that when she doesn't get her way! So this means it's only if I ignored the Eye! :lol:

my huskies will do 1 of 2 things to let me know they want to snuggle. They either just come jump on your lap. ( like they are a little 5 pound lap dog) or they will come up to you and start to yodel and talk to you and when you turn to talk to them they will jump up on you and lick you. They are so sweet. :angel: Of course when they do option 2 if you are my 4 year old niece they will knock you down. They don't realize they are 45 and 57 pounds dogs. :scatter:

Alex and Freebee - 90 and 75 lbs. of Lab mix, well, they fit most of the patterns.

Alex has the "face"...he'll stare at you soulfully and look so sad you cant ignore him, but he's not really a big cuddler unless I'm sitting on the bed.

then he jumps up and literally lays in my lap.

Freebee will come up and put her head in my lap, and if I ignore that she starts to wimper, then whine, then jump up tp lick. Alex will put himself between us then cuz he's jealous. It gets quite crowded on my bed at night while I'm watching TV with the two dogs AND the cat all wanting space there.

Mine only howl if I start up, or if an Empire Carpet commercial comes on.
Something about the theme song sets them off...

This topic is so much fun! :D

I mentioned how BK reacts to another dog getting attention before, jealous-bum that he is. :) When Grandad had his two dachshunds Oscar and Fritz, they would take it in turns to be nursed. So I would pick up Fritz first, nurse him until my leg went to sleep, then put him down, then Oscar would be there jumping up or pawing at my foot, so I'd have to pick HIM up and nurse HIM too (and he would grunt like a wombat in my ear constantly). Then Fritz would come back and want another nurse... it was the never ending cycle of attention. :drinking:

Hehe cute. Kavik recently shoved Zaphod off of DP's chest for snuggles, and if any dog gets snuggles other than Tyr, Tyr will do this adorable Arrarrarrarr things and force himself in. Being more than twice the size and weight of either of the others, he succeeds nearly every time.

Rowie paws at me too! :roll: She will give me this REALLY sad-ish lonely-ish face, then paw at me, if I ignore her, she thrusts her muzzle onto my lap and heaves this BIG sigh! :lol: That usually gets me to cuddle her!! :wink: It's 'specially hard NOT to give "Snuggles" to Rowie cuz she has the most adorable face!! :D But i'll stop talking now or I'll never stop... :D

Shadow gets SOOOOOOOOO jealous when I pet Rocky. I didn't think a dog could get so jealous!!! She'll sit there and cry (literally cry) and howl when I take Rocky for a walk... I can hear her the whole way. LOL. Usually I have to luv Rocky up when Shadow ain't in the room... otherwise we're both in trouble. lol.

Guest Anonymous

Hazel's an only dog so she gets my undivided attention! :D But we had Blue, our lab up until Hazel was about a year and a half, and they got along great! There was always enough love to go around, but they did tussel every now and then if one was getting more attention toy-wise then the other :roll:

What about with PEOPLE? Does anyone's dogs get jelous when you associate with other people and NOT them? Or better yet, do YOU get jelous cuz your dog acts like someone else is their best friend, even though YOUR the one who raised them from a pup and FEEDS THEM! :roll: :lol: (like in my case I guess... I'm a little jelous that Hazel seems to just ADORE my b/f and when he comes over she doesn't want to have anything to do with ME! LOL And just a while ago we had the problem that HE was jelous of my dog! :lol: GEEZ!)