Dogomania

A rant

Kiger

This has just happened too many times now.
Yes, my doggie does look like the ones you saw when you watched Westminster on TV. Thanks for the compliment.
No, your doggie does not look much like the ones on TV - you said so yourself. The fact is your dog doesn't look much like the breed standard at all.
No, you cannot breed your doggie to my doggie because he is "so nice looking"!

Why do people assume that I will let their pet breed with my show dog??
OH GAWD I SOUND LIKE A SNOB. :lol: It's the whole callous attitude towards breeding that really gets me - nice dog, we should let them make puppies. :roll:

Some more comeback options:
"Why would I want to do that?"
"He's engaged/married/already has a girlfreind."
"There are plenty of puppies already, don't need to make more."
"Breeding should be limited to experienced breeders who breed for the betterment of their breed and take genetics and availability of quality homes into account."
"He doesn't have the money for child support."
"He has committment issues."
"Gonneria!" (sp)
"Oh, you want to breed your dog? Does she have her CH, what about her OFA, who did you get to cert her eyes and hips, how far back does her pedigree have clear eyes and hips, does her sire and dam have their CH, what was her temperment test results, . . ." etc the more acronyms and scary strings of letters you can throw in the better, make them up and make them seem really scary if you think you can get away with it, you can even seem enthusiastic.

LOL Kiger! :lol:

People keep coming up to me saying:"Oh! What a beautiful dog!" I smile, and say thanks, thinking how sweet they are. Then they say:"When she has puppies give one to me k?"

:evil: :evil: :evil:
URGHHHH!!!
:evil: :evil: :evil:

I know how you feel Kiger!

Now where's that :drinking: when you need it?

I like the interrogation theory. 8) I have a beautiful breed/show bitch. People ask me when I'm going to breed her. I just tell them once she gets a CH in front of her name, I'm going to find a male with a CH in front of his name and a ROM behind his and his parents name. You could just politely respond I will only breed ROM's. :lol: :angel:

I get people coming up to me when I walk my husky saying "he's so gorgious! I have one of those (they don't know the breed for heaven's sakes!!!) we should get them together." then I respond "for what??? a birthday party?? Sorry, the only reason I'd breed my dog was if I met someone who was actually SMART." I have a couple other responses too, but I would probably get knocked off this forum if I posted um... needless to say, I haven't had anybody ask me about breeding Rocky for a long time. lol

Ugh! I have (among the 7 other dogs) a Toy Poodle girly. She is a horrible representation of the breed... soft, cottony coat, roach backed, long bodied, short necked, short legged, heavy muzzled... blech! I am absolutely stunned at how many people want to get puppies out of her. Not only other people with their little mutant Poodles, but people with other breeds! "Oh, let's have a litter of Lhasa Poos/Yorkie Poos/Shih Poos/Schnoodles..." Whatever they have that's small and fuzzy is good enough to breed to her, I guess. I have had people actually get indignant with me when I tell them she's been spayed... as if I'm such a fool for "throwing away" all the money "we" could have made. Argh, I need not start this rant.

Idiots. :x

Sigh... some people just don't get it do they :x

I too have had a stranger come up to me and ask about breeding with my boy - he was only about 6 months old!!!!

I have also had relatives or friends etc assume that becuase I paid a lot of money for a papered dog that I am automatically going to breed, with the comment "you can make a lot of money you know" :o

Rather than get angry or too frustrated (although inside I am fuming) I try to use the opportunity to expain why not to breed and to educate them a little better.

We originally thought about breeding Kavik (paper's and stuff and his breeder wanted to know about this and that) but I don't really see the point. He seems ok to me but I don't know near enough about breed standards to know if he'd be good enough and he doesn't have any titles or certs and it seems like an awful lot of work to make more puppies that may be of questionable quality who need homes. No one has asked to have Kavik stud for them anyway, I guess they can tell he's a little off :stupid: (of course no more off then most BCs)

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

[quote name='K']Malamum the exact same thing happened to me!!...everyone knows how much a British Bulldog costs here and the sire of my baby girl is a triple champion (Wycaple's Good To Go aka George) and was Bulldog of the year a while back so they said to me "well you are bound to make your money back off the first litter alone"...I told them right there and then she will be spayed like the rest of my dogs and they said "you have more dogs?" I said "yes 2 Staffs and 2 Saints" (both expensive breeds here too)
and they looked at me like I was off my trolley and said "how stupid are you? you could be rolling in money if you put the effort in"....... :roll: :roll: :roll:[/quote]

George NEVER was bulldog of the year!

K, don't let ignorant people upset you...

Lets see now about the breeding your dog topic..I have 3 Newfoundland dogs and a Rottweiler...no one has ever asked me to breed my Rottie as I rescued her and she has soooo many issues...but my Newf's I have had people say how cute and cuddley they look and they look like big teddy bears...I usually just tell how many hours a week I spend grooming them...that stops them before they go any further and ask if I'm going to breed :lol:

[size=2]I get that, too...

Now that my rotts are a little older, I don't get as many people who swarm me asking how much I'm selling them for everytime I take them out for walks. :roll:

But, almost anyone who finds out they aren't from the same litter says, "Oh, so you're going to breed them." No! One man had the audacity to call me a liar when I said I wouldn't. :o :evil:

I mean, do I LOOK like an opportunistic, money hungry, dog exploiting jack***? (Wait, don't answer that. :P)[/size]