Dogomania

Which breed should I get

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My family,Im 18,15 yr old brother,12 year old sister,mum and dad have a 12 week old Staffie pup ,who has attended puppy school and is currently starting obidience class.After these classes finish Im thinking about getting another dog,not only to keep the Staffie company,but to,hopefully, begin agility with.I was just wondereing what you guys would reccomend.I have researched several breeds and the Jack Russell seems to suit my situation. I live on 5 acres,fully fenced.What do you think?

:lol:

K - I know what you are saying, with the *right* dogs it *can* work but the odds are not in their favor. If the staffy has any issues with others dogs and pesky JRT is just gonna piss it off. Even my girl who is the opposite of the average JRT would piss off a staffy with issues. I think it would be hard to have two pups together, get attached, and then find out they simply can NOT live together.

IF you insist on a JRT and feel there will be no issues, please take this advice. Get opposite sexes. You dont say the sex of the staffy but the jrt should be the opposite sex. JRT's are notorious for same sex aggression even with different breeds. It can become quite serious. I know many that have had to be rehomed due to same sex aggression. Female JRT's are worse than males about this aggression. So a female staffy, male JRT *might* work if each is extemely docile.

JMHO. :niewiem:

Guest Anonymous

Hello, :D I'm new but I agree with the previous post about opposite sexes. My mother-in-law has a female JRT and a male RR. Now both are fixed and the RR is a rare treat as he has no enemies and loves everyone the minute he sees them. :angel: I think he missed the protective gene. He is such a happy gentleman. Now, I don't know anything about Staffies, but a JRT is a high maintenance breed, very alpha personality. I wouldn't suggest pairing a JRT with any other breed that's not a couch potatoe. A JRT and RR work great together, but I don't think that would be the case if both were the same sex. Good luck. :P

:D Thanks for inviting me. An RR is a Rhodesian Ridgeback, I will add pics of my babies as soon as I can. I have two RR's an IG (Italian Greyhound) and two house lions (domestic cats). They all get along great, but an IG is not really a bred for children to play with as they are fragile and can be snappy. I won't let any children under 6 or 7 play with mine. Now RR's are breed to be family companions as well as protectors. They are very good at distinguising between false and real danger, and very loyal, especially for a hound. They do however have a very strong prey drive. Hope that helps K. :P

Staffordshire Terriers do excellent in agility - they have springs in thier back legs I swear. Some of them take a little work to get the directions down but most are extremely eager to make their handlers happy. With early socialization and careful handling you may find that the Staffie is the agility dog your looking for.

Unless you are getting an adult dog I don't think it is a very good idea to get a second dog (teenage or puppy) until the first one is and adult and mentally mature, as well as fully trained and socialized. Only the very experienced should undertake in raising 2 pups together. Usually the end result is that one or both listen to the other dog over their human counterparts. Plus a fully trained adult can help train the pup where as 2 untrained pups tend to stay "puppylike" for longer. I know in my breed (Ridgebacks) most reputable breeders do not recommend getting another until the first is at least 2 years old. (and RRs do not *always* make the best agility dogs)

Why not wait until your staffie is older and start agility with it?

First of all, if your Staffie's only a puppy, you might want to wait a while to get another dog. I don't have much experience with Staffies, but I know that once the dog grows out of his puppy stage and enters his teenager stage, he might try to rebel against you to try to prove his dominance, where repetition of your previous training and patience, consistency, and firmness will reflect the outcome of the adult dog. Am I making any sense to you?

It would be challenging, especially if you get another puppy. You will have to go to puppy school and obedience with the second dog as well, and by that time, you might be dealing with a mischievous puppy AND a rebellious teenager. Unless you have previous experience with dogs, I would wait to see how your staffie turns out. He might be more work than you expected, no problem at all, or not the best dog for your family.

In the meantime, take your Staffie to doggie day care and get it socialized, because no matter how well the dog gets along with other dogs now, their potential aggressiveness doesn't show up until they are fully grown. Then, you'll not what kind of dogs your Staffie will get along with.

Also, (I've heard of these cases) dogs that live together may bond closer to each other than to the owners, that they may share bad habits. For example, a non-barker may be influenced by an excessively barking dog to become an excessive barker. Same with habits such as digging, fence climbing, etc. That's why sometimes you see stray dogs together. They got out together... I actually had two stray shepherds at my house two weeks ago cuz they followed Luka and me home from our walk...

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for all your advice.
The staffie pup loves other dogs,she is not dog aggresive,we took her to puppy preschool,she goes to obidence and we regularly take her to play with other dogs.We do this because Staffies can become dog aggresive.

That's great that your Staffie's dog friendly, but remeber *dogs do not show their aggressiveness towards other dogs until they are fully mature!* Your puppie's friendliness now is not a foreshadow of how your dog will be past a year old. Although there are many dogs that are fine with other dogs and I really hope that your dog will remai that way, but there is no guarantee. Continuation of socialization is crucial, but it may just have to do with your dogs personality. Trust me, I've recently experienced this.