Dogomania

Hair between the Toes...

Prairie_Gurl

I have a Siberian Husky. I know that you aren't suppose to cut the fur between their toes/pads but how long is too long??? I was just looking at his feet the other day when I realized that his toe hair was getting really long. I haven't been taking him for walks lately because of the weather (I figure it has to get above 20 degrees before I'll go out for a walk) so, does that make a difference???

I cut Frodo's toe hair. Not sure why you can't trim your dogs....is it because of the breed? I cut it to keep it from getting matted or from building up ice balls when we go for walks.

At the very least, I would trim so it is even with the foot/toe pads.

Guest Anonymous

I trim Hazel's paws whenever she gets bathed (about once a month).

BEFORE and AFTER pix...

[img]http://pics.paulsonator.com/users/HazelNutMegg/furryPaw.jpg[/img]

[img]http://pics.paulsonator.com/users/HazelNutMegg/unFurryPaw.jpg[/img]

I trim Kavik's once a month mostly for aesthetics and so he is used to me doing stuff to his feet. His feet don't get a chance to stink because he gets a bath at least once a week because he is always finding neat things to step in and in general wear in his fur that I don't approve of like - mud, speggeti sauce, cat food, dog food, dog doo, mud, pasty drywall, baby food, Tide, mud etc. I swear he explores by stepping on things. :roll:

BK has a little bit of hair between his toes that sticks out and I tried to trim it when he was living with me but he hated it and would always be able to pull away (and I didn't have anyone else to hold him while I did it). He's never had it trimmed before, and it's not that long- maybe half a centimetre? so I guess it's not causing him any problems (still hunting for that elusive settling down remedy :roll: ).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here is a picture of Jackie's foot before getting clipped. When I had her bathed last month, they cut the real long stuff underneath. My two girls play and run and wrestle (and sometimes dig) in the backyard, so the long hair was getting pretty gross.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QQAAAJoTD4rbqI0TW38v1GXwe*S0XJnhk7gf2IU2HG8OjJgV5JMFWTCoFisM41hgf*wKntFLTMkKW38rqODZ5CfrErTwzbOuLZ0MY1xWKFE/bigfoot.jpg?dc=4675425103684606324[/img]

I have seen a dog come up lame due to excess hair matting between it's toes. When the dog came up lame it was at first a mystery..then the Vet checked between each of the toes it was so matted the air could not get in...it was red and raw and very very sore...poor dog. We always keep out Newf's feet trimmed, and even when I had my Border Collie mix and my Great Pyrenees we always kept the feet trimmed. There are some breeds such as the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel which due to breed standard for show the feet are left long...but that is only the other hair...we still trim the bottom of the paw.
I only work as a bath blow dryer at the grooming shop...but, I can't recall the Siberian Husky's having alot of excess hair on their paws that come in???? and when ever I have gone to a show...not that I'm really looking that intently at the dogs feet...but, I've never noticed the paws of the Siberian Husky's or the Alaskan Malamutes having alot of fur on their feet...they always look pretty neat and tidy to me...

Gees I made alot of spelling mistakes in my last post :oops: :oops: :oops:
[quote]We always keep out Newf's feet trimmed, and even when I had my Border Collie mix and my Great Pyrenees we always kept the feet trimmed. There are some breeds such as the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel which due to breed standard for show the feet are left long...but that is only the other hair...we still trim the bottom of the paw. [/quote]

it should be....but that is only the outer hair...

My folks (very knowledgable dog peeps *rolls eyes*) got my Husky from a pet shop. He's bigger than the standered... but I'm sure he's pure husky (absolutely no trace of anything(s) else)... just a backyard breeder's wonderful job. He's registered, but that doesn't really mean anything. So, that could be why yea don't see huskies w/ hair betweeen their toes...