Dogomania

itchy dog question...

pawpaw

Mimi seems to be itchy all the time,
i give her a flea bath once a month and normally get one or two fleas off,
not really any eggs. this month i gave her a bath with just warm water and baby shampoo for sensitive skin.... shes still itching..... i changed foods a few months ago and she likes the food more but shes still itching.
there is no redness or "wounds" i dont even see any dry skin patches so im lost here ... i want my little baby to relax and stop scratching all the time,
do you know of any creams or shampoos that i can try that dont have chemicals in them? some of the stuff on the market scares me and i wont use it. one bottle i was reading said it might give the dog/puppy mild seizures, ataxia ,excess salivaton, agitation or make the dog seem dizzy!.. um no thinks i will pass. :o

think an oatmeal bath would work?

TIA~mell

Couple suggestions:
1. Go to the vet and get a flea treatment and be rid of the fleas once and for all. (You will probably have to treat the house and bedding, carpet and furnitere in paticular with a spraybottle solution as well.)
2. Bathing is not always the answer. Some dogs loose alot of vital oils from their fur and skin after being bathed and it makes them itchy.
3. When you do bath the dog use a conditioner (one without a high waxy content) this can restore moisture to the skin. You can also find shampoos for itchy skin for dogs, they are just mild. We had a very well behaved cockapoo that had a bought or two of dry skin and we used a mild/itch free dog shampoo and then applied Body Shop banana conditioner and left it on for 1/2hr (this is where the well behaved comes in) and then rinsed WELL and that seemed to help him.
4. Always rinse WELL.
5. Use a dog food with a slightly higher fat content or add other food supplements such as egg, vitamin dog gravies, plain yogurt (not low fat) and banana, etc.
What do you currently feed?
Have you checked for allergies?
6. Switch to a mild clothes detergent, stop using carpet powder if you use it, monitor use of fragrences - they can be found in everything: cleaning supplies like furniture polish or surface cleaners or floor cleaners, bounce sheets, air fresheners.

What was the old food? And the new?
Look for common allergens in the new one that the old one didn't have (is corn, wheat, egg product, soy, etc). Look for overall differences.

For relief now, you can put oatmeal in a stocking and use that with water to soak your dog in the milky oatmeal liquid. Let it dry without rinsing. It's sticky for a bit, but then it gets nice and soft. This is the only thing that would help my kitty with her flea allergies.

good luck! Hope you find out the problem soon...I know I hate being itchy!!

[quote name='alicat613']What was the old food? And the new?
Look for common allergens in the new one that the old one didn't have (is corn, wheat, egg product, soy, etc). Look for overall differences.

For relief now, you can put oatmeal in a stocking and use that with water to soak your dog in the milky oatmeal liquid. Let it dry without rinsing. It's sticky for a bit, but then it gets nice and soft. This is the only thing that would help my kitty with her flea allergies.

good luck! Hope you find out the problem soon...I know I hate being itchy!![/quote]

How many times do you re-use your oatmeal stocking? Mine always turns to mush --- any suggestions?

I haven't tried this, yet. But, my grandmother and mother had a pillow filled with oatmeal that they used when they had an itch (that wouldn't quit). And would cover poison ivy itches. They swore it worked.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

How about changing the whole diet of your dog? How about barfing??? Feeding your dog with natural food might help...it helped my first dog...and he is now 13.5 years old!!!

Mervi : :)

I always toss mine right away! I don't put much oatmeal in - I'm only bathing an 8 lb cat! Have you tried freezing it to save it?

I haven't had much luck with the garlic. 2 of my pets never get fleas and one does. Garlic keeps them healthy and that helps, but it, in my experience doesn't actually repel fleas.

Things that have helped though were mostly keeping her healthy on a good food and supplements when I can make her eat them! And washing her frequently (for a cat - 1-2 times a month) as well as washing beddings etc, vacuuming a lot and changing the bag. You can sprinkle salt or boric acid on carpets and furniture, and behind baseboards to kill fleas. There are a lot of very natural ways to kill fleas around your house and yard.

I hear good things about Tea Tree oil and Neem but haven't used them.

Eating oatmeal is good too. The anti-itch properties seem to work inside out too. Adding oils such as a fish oil, olive oil, flax oil etc or fresh ground flax, or pumpkin seeds are great too. Raw egg is good ocassionally. These all will help the skin reglardless of the cause.
It would probably be best to steer clear of all common allergens in dogs such as corn, wheat, soy, etc and then if that doesn't help you may have to narrow it down more to another ingredient.

Have you tried an Oatmeal shampoo?

When I first got Zebra he was very itchy but had no fleas or anything else. But when we took him to the vet they said that his skin was a little dry and an oatmeal shampoo would work. And it did! He never scratches anymore unless there is an evil flea on him.

But if your dog is itching realy bad all the time maybe you should take him to the vet just to make sure everything is ok.

Guest Anonymous

I agree with mouse that tee tree soap could help. (I use tee tree oil on all my dogs ears to clean and kill mites if they are there)
I found that soapless shampoo works best. Soap dries the skin out.

Some things you can add to the food daily to help:
Lecithin granules with 2 tsp cod liver oil
Vitamin E 100IU
1 tsp Spirulina or kelp powder

If you do find specific areas that need help use either Vit E oil or jojoba oil.

We ran out of our regular dog food but had some of my mum's dog food here so we fed that until the plow the roads so I can go out :roll:
Anyway tear started itching his tale and within a half hour had extended to hind quarters and was trying to rip his tale off. So we tried the oatmeal in a sock thing - worked really well, thanks for bringing this up Pawpaw and Alicat.