Dogomania

Ever Heard???

Ok. I just got a thing in the mail advertising for a magazine called YOUR DOG. In it it says that there is a form of heartworm pill that is chewable. I've never heard of something like that, but I'm not to up to date on stuff like that. Has anyone ever heard of it???

It also says that you can sterilize your dog with an injectable thing. How about that???

Oh, and sorry for not having pics up yet... having minor technical difficulties w/ my computar.

I have heard of the chewables - I think they are liver flavor. Don't know anything about them as I don't use heartworm meds.

I believe the injection is the new birth control for dogs. I haven't read too much on it....it's rather odd! But it could be useful for breeders with several genders although I don't think it helps with any behavior or the actual desire to mate and do the physical act, I think it just prevents pregnancy. I'll try to find more info on it.

I just saw about that mag too, while looking for something else on Amazon - you can subscribe to it through their magazines and periodicals section although it didn't really appeal to me.

I use the heartguard chewables for my dog - she LOVES them! They're kind of expensive if you get them from your vet (I paid $80 :o ), but I discovered that if you go to [url]www.1800petmeds.com[/url] and click on heartguard - their prices are WAY cheaper! I haven't bought anything from them yet, but I plan to. Check it out :D :wink:

Alicat --- what do you use for heartworm prevention?

The sterilization could be: Depo provera -- an injection that causes the female not to cycle (birth control).

Bulls can receive a chemical injection in the scrotal sac that will render them sterile. It's less invasive than the regular way of cutting the scrotal sac and removing the testes. Maybe this is what you are referring to for dogs?

Nothing yet Hobbit, it's not a problem here (heartworm) in the Seattle area, especially this time of year and he's only 6 months so he has only been alive in winter. I am thinking of starting him on walnut hulls though just in case before spring but many people in the NW do not use any heartworm preventatives. HW preventatives are an internal pesticide - your dog still gets HW inside, it just breaks up the cycle of them getting out of hand. There are natural things you can do as well like black walnut hull.

I read something about an actual birth control for dogs but can't find that info. Not sure if it's Depo but hey, I've used that for years LOL.

I use the chewables for my dogs. It is calld heargard plus. They are about the size of a liver treat I guess and they seem to love them. It also deworms them everymonth or I guess If you use it on a regular basis like you should then it prevents them from getting worms.

[quote name='alicat613']Nothing yet Hobbit, it's not a problem here (heartworm) in the Seattle area, especially this time of year and he's only 6 months so he has only been alive in winter. I am thinking of starting him on walnut hulls though just in case before spring but many people in the NW do not use any heartworm preventatives. HW preventatives are an internal pesticide - your dog still gets HW inside, it just breaks up the cycle of them getting out of hand. There are natural things you can do as well like black walnut hull.

I read something about an actual birth control for dogs but can't find that info. Not sure if it's Depo but hey, I've used that for years LOL.[/quote]

I am not familar with the Seattle area, but aren't there mosquito's there?

I am aware that HW preventatives are an internal pesticide. There is no feasible way to keep the mosquito's off of our dogs. We are inundated with them. The humidity is high, there are stock ponds, creeks, rivers, etc... We are forced to use a preventative or pay the consequences.

Has there been any research on Black Walnut hulls actually working. I know lots of people use them, use them from word of mouth only. I can not find any reliable research on this herb working.

Since we can't keep enough repellent on them, we must break the cycle internally......unfortunately (for the dog).

Just a comment here: I've known old ranchers that NEVER, and I mean NEVER have in the past and never will in the future vaccinate or deworm their dogs. They just dont' believe in it....why? Because their father and fathers before them didn't do it. They don't use and have never used any HW preventatives.

Know what? Some of their dogs work hard until they are old, old dogs.

If I done that ..... every single one would come down with something and die!!!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Hobbit']Just a comment here: I've known old ranchers that NEVER, and I mean NEVER have in the past and never will in the future vaccinate or deworm their dogs. They just dont' believe in it....why? Because their father and fathers before them didn't do it. They don't use and have never used any HW preventatives.

Know what? Some of their dogs work hard until they are old, old dogs.

If I done that ..... every single one would come down with something and die!!![/quote]

I would be there with you in the same boat!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

We rarely have mosqitoes, and even then, we don't have a lot of heartworm (what mosquitoes we have don't usually carry it). It's odd, we have a ton of water and lakes and marshes, but something about our weather is terrible for their incubation.

I plan on using natural controls as well as probably the walnut hull. It works for a lot of people but I'm not sure if there's like a site online extolling its virtues. I'll look.

I read about putting out soapy water (using lemon dishsoap) and tried it when we had a warm spell this winter with some gnats and it got a lot og them. Vanilla (real) is also supposed to be a good repellant as are many essential oils and stuff like Neem. You can also buy nematodes and lady bugs at gardening centers - these are microscopic good bugs that eat mosquitoes, fleas and hundreds of other bad larvae. Good lawn care is also important - keeping debris and brush clear, no standing water, heat treating areas of concern with black plastic in sunlight. Vicks vaporub is another suggested repellant.

Really??? I didn't know Vicks would repell misquitos...

Has anyone ever put insect repellent on their dogs?? My dad did it a couple times without my permission... it worked and the dogs didn't get sick, but just wondering. I wouldn't use it though. I mean, it's poison!!! Well, that's what I think anyways.

I live in a little town run by farmers/retired farmers. And almost none of them take their dogs to the vet until something SERIOUS happens. Serious meaning the dog is half way dead. It's ridiculous. I've gotten into countless arguments and debates about that. They think that dogs are just meer tools that you use on a farm. They're NOT. (no offense to any farmers that take good care of ur dogs).

PG- Dad puts Aerogard (an insect repellent) on Rinny's ears to keep the flies off them (he is a GSD X and his pricked ears are a target for flies and the like). Never too much though and it works, and it's extra good because he can't lick it off! :D