Dogomania

Breeds for allergics... "They don't shed at all!"

Crested

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL. I'm sure u'll be in heaven there Crested!!!

A couple questions. Sorry, I'm not that educated on allergies/hypoallergenic/dander stuff. I'm allergic to dogs. That's all I know. I don't know if I'm allergic to their dander, saliva, or whatever. And it's only certain breeds. Like, I'm REALLY allergic to Golden Retrievers, and I'm not allergic to poodles, chinese cresteds, and i'm sorta allergic to German Shepherds, Labs, and Siberian Huskies.

And sometimes, I'll be allergic to a dog... then after a while I won't be allergic to it anymore. like, I was allergic to Yorkies a couple years back but I always played with them, so now I'm not allergic to them anymore. Could I become emune (sp) to them???

I do know that I'm allergic to Shadow (my lab) 's fur because I break out sometimes when a fur gets stuck to my skin... and my nose goes bazerk with all the fur on my shirt (people with labs, you know what i'm talkin about...).

Once again, I'm sorry but i know nuthin!!!!

Sorry but Poodles ARE hypoallergenic. Yes, they have hair and slight dander. But they are one of only a few breeds that can be tolerated by people with severe allergies. That's why I'm from a Standard Poodle family. My mom can't be around other pets but poodles truly are good fro people with allergies. Chinese Cresteds, while hairless, may not have the same traits that make poodles hypoallergenic.

[quote]Sorry but Poodles ARE hypoallergenic. [/quote]

I'd like to know where you've gotten this information. Is this anecdotal evidence or factual? There is no such thing as Hypoallergenic dogs. Unless there is a dog that doesn't produce oil and as mentioned saliva, urine, fur or hair and dander. Allergies are not breed specific but can be specific to a litter. People have different sensitivities, for instance, one person allergic to saliva is not necessarily allergic to fur. The sebaceous glands produce oil which they say is a leading cause of allergies. I have no doubt because of their fur type, poodles are one of the closest to being Hypoallergenic and cause the fewest or mildest reaction. This REDUCES the chance of being allergic for some, but hypoallergenic doesn't exist because ALL animals have sebaceous glands. It is also possible for people once allergic to tolerate their pet and are no longer allergic over time.

If you read any consumer or medical reports this will be confirmed.

RR: That is absolutely true! I stand by your every word in that post. :wink: :)

Well some breeds tend to have more dander then others. For example German Shepards and Golden Retrievers are dogs that have high ammounts of dander and the two of them are dogbreeds that only a few SEVERELLY allergic people can tolerate.

I don't think you can ever get immune to the dander of cerain dogs, but you might be able to get used to their dander/saliva/urine/feecies. This could backfire though... So you might get allergic again in the future for thoose breeds. Even I know that in the future there is a chanse that I have to give up Ben if my body suddenly starts reacting to his dander etc.

It's hard to tell what allergisizes you with dogs when I don't know what reactions you get.

I noticed I'm allergic to urine and not dander when I had Ben. When he wasn't yet house broken I got small reactions, but after he started peeing and pooping outside, I got no reactions at all.
If you are allergic to saliva you often get rashes on your skin (allso if you pick up feecies and it touches the skin you might get a rash.)
But it is very hard to tell what you might be allergic to.

Ok, but now I have to go...

Hope this helped! :)

/Crested

Perhaps the problem here is in the use of the word - hypoallergenic.
Websters says:
hypoallergenic: having little likelihood of causing an allergic response <hypoallergenic cosmetics> <hypoallergenic foods>
True no dog is actually completely hypoallergenic but many people who have difficulty with allergies can deal with poodles just fine so for their purposes their dogs are "hypoallergenic" or whatever you want to refer to it as. No sneeze, no itchy red eyes, no hives - no problem.

[quote name='RR'][quote]Sorry but Poodles ARE hypoallergenic. [/quote]

I'd like to know where you've gotten this information. Is this anecdotal evidence or factual? There is no such thing as Hypoallergenic dogs. Unless there is a dog that doesn't produce oil and as mentioned saliva, urine, fur or hair and dander. Allergies are not breed specific but can be specific to a litter. People have different sensitivities, for instance, one person allergic to saliva is not necessarily allergic to fur. The sebaceous glands produce oil which they say is a leading cause of allergies. I have no doubt because of their fur type, poodles are one of the closest to being Hypoallergenic and cause the fewest or mildest reaction. This REDUCES the chance of being allergic for some, but hypoallergenic doesn't exist because ALL animals have sebaceous glands. It is also possible for people once allergic to tolerate their pet and are no longer allergic over time.

If you read any consumer or medical reports this will be confirmed.[/quote]

Read the definition of hypoallergenic please, as posted by DogPaddle. It's the same in my dictionary.
Poodles ARE hypoallergenic - meaning they have low probability of causing an allergic reaction. Your post agrees with me, but you seem to have your own definition of hypoallergenic in mind, as being completely allergen free. This is not what the word means!

Also, Poodles do not shed in the dog definition of the word, they shed like humans. They also do not have dander.

For your reading pleasure: :)
[url]http://www.poodlecam.com/links/faq_poodle.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.dogbiz.com/faq-allergies.htm[/url]
[url]http://partipoodle.homestead.com/AboutPoodles.html[/url] (read 'characteristics')

[quote name='alicat613'][quote name='RR'][quote]Sorry but Poodles ARE hypoallergenic. [/quote]

If you read any consumer or medical reports this will be confirmed.[/quote]

Read the definition of hypoallergenic please, as posted by DogPaddle. It's the same in my dictionary.
Poodles ARE hypoallergenic - meaning they have low probability of causing an allergic reaction. Your post agrees with me, but you seem to have your own definition of hypoallergenic in mind, as being completely allergen free. This is not what the word means!

Also, Poodles do not shed in the dog definition of the word, they shed like humans. They also do not have dander.

For your reading pleasure: :)
[url]http://www.poodlecam.com/links/faq_poodle.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.dogbiz.com/faq-allergies.htm[/url]
[url]http://partipoodle.homestead.com/AboutPoodles.html[/url] (read 'characteristics')[/quote]

Poodles DO have dander! I KNOW they do! Ofcourse some people want to say that poodles don't have dander... This would mean that anyone could buy a poodle puppy risk free. It would incresase the sales percent of poodles! But the fact is that ALL dogs have dander!! There is no exeption! I have read tests that have made in medical laboratories about dander on dogs. I don't remember how many dogs were tested but it was atleast 300 dogs of diffirent breeds. The result was that EACH AND EVERY SINGLE ONE HAD DANDER!! The only thing that was diffirent between let's say a Doberman and a Poodle was that a Poodle doesn't have visible dander. Then if we go to let's say German Shepards, they have THREE TIMES AS MUCH DANDER then a "normal" dog.

I know what I am talking about. I'm not just makeing this up, you know.

/Crest

Dog Paddle: I know. I'm living proof of that SOME allergics can tolerate SOME dogs. What I'm tryeing to say is that if someone says that a dog breed can be tolerated by ALL ALLERGICS they are lying, because there is nothing called a "100 per cent guaranty" when it comes to allergies and pets.

I would kinda like a list too. I mean, I'm not gonna live from the list or anything like that... just I think it'll be kinda interesting. It's hard to find information on a certain breed's rate of how much dander they have or if allergics can tollerate them better/worse/average. You get the drift.

The [i]dictionary[/i] says that hypoallergenic means a lower probability of causing an allergeic reaction. I would guess that is what allicat is refering to. So if from varied personal experiences people are finding that their allergies are less iritated by or not irritated by poodles or any other breed that breed could be then referred to as hypoallergenic which does [b]not[/b] mean that someone could never be allergic to them or that they don't have dander it just means that the paticular breed may not bother some people with allergies or not bother them as much. Example - I am allergic to most artifical/chemical scents. I buy non-scented, hypoallergenic hand cream, most are fine, one brand makes me sneeze, makes my eyes burn and itch and makes me feel miserable in general. The product is still hypoallergenic as apparently others with allergies are not bothered by it but I am, also most hypoallergenic products do deliver on the claim.