Dogomania

SHIBA INU'S

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Im looking for help form any of you guys who own Shibas. My wife and I are thinking about getting a female and would love to get some first hand personal experiences if we could.We already have a male Akita [neutered] and I'm thinking the Shibas arent going to be much different, give or take a 100 lbs :)although I could be wrong. Any info you have would be great along with any responsible breeders you might know of in the Connecticut area :wink: Thanks

Well, Gigi and kiger are both owned by shibas :lol:

a friend of mine breeds both here in the uk.

she calls the shibas her litter pirahnas(sp)
they are a wonderful breed, but head strong,
and when she has pups she always lets the akita babies
learn manners from the shibas, (they are terrifyed of them)

I actually love both breeds, and did consider a shiba, but
i just knew that it would upset this household :lol:

roo

Wow! An Akita and now a Shiba? Talk about going Japanese (both breeds are Japanese and so am I!). It all depends on the dog and how it's raised, but both dogs aren't the greatest with other dogs, and the Akitas tend to be less tolerant of other dogs. I'm sure they would be fine if they're raised together, but if they feel competition, they could end up in a quarrel. I know a family from my Saturday JPNese school and they have two shibas that get along fine. I'm so jealous cuz I love both akitas and shibas. I think they're gorgeous (it must be in the blood). By the way, INU means dog, in JPNese, of course!

From [url]http://www.dogbreedinfo.com[/url]:
"The Akita is very aggressive to other dogs and animals and should therefore never be allowed to run off its lead around other animals. It should definitely be supervised with other household pets and children."
"The Shiba is alert, lively, bold, independent, but affectionate and loving. Kind, trainable, brave and clean. Confident, fearless and courageous. A big dog in a small dog's body. Agile, fast and playful. Charming and open. Bark little and bond closely with their handler while remaining independent. Reserved with strangers but children do not usually cause any problems, for Shiba's make good companions for children. Socialize this breed well as a puppy. They do well with other dogs and cats if they are raised with them from puppyhood, though they tend to be aggressive with members of the same sex. Don't trust this dog around other small pets such as rodents and small birds. It is not usually a reliable off-leash dog. It is easy to housebreak these dogs because they are naturally fastidious."

Guest Anonymous

Oh Shibas......

:lol:

Sometimes I feel I love them more than life it's self.

Cat like.

Aloof with strangers, but not with owners and those that are close to the owners.

VERY CLEAN. I posted pix recently
[url]http://forum.dogomania.com/viewtopic.php?t=4076[/url]

This was posted on 2/5 and their last baths were around Thanksgiving.

Waterproof coat...only bathe when needed.

Good watch dogs.

Rarely bark unless they feel the need....strangers, strange dogs....

They yodel.....make some really cute noise.

Blow coat more than shed...except my female seems to always blow. :roll:

Stamina is GREAT. They could go and go for HOURS, but area also good in apartments if exercized enough.

Loyal

ESCAPE ARTISTS

NOT TRUSTED OFF LEASH [u]AT ALL[/u]

They will do what they want. You can call their name and they will look at you like, you come to ME. I'm not coming to you.

Cute as can be.

Not the best listeners until around 1 yrs old...at least that's my experience.

HATE to have their nails cut.

Do NOT like to be teased. We tease Kenzo somewhat, but he knows it's play time so he's OK...more like, he'll turn a corner and we'll scare the crap out of him. He'll crouch and bark and that tail just starts WAGGIN! But to just tease for no reason....that hurts them.

Sturdy dogs.

Little dog, BIG DOG syndrome. My 18 pound female, Kika, thinks she can take my neighbor's 130 pound Rottie. :roll:

Anything else? I love my babies. Have had Kenzo for 2.5 yrs and Kika for 2 yrs (she's almost 5 though).

Guest Anonymous

Oh, about the "they will do what they want", we've got ours trained enough that they are really pretty good. They are pretty obediant.

And DO NOT TRUST AROUND SMALL ANIMALS AND BIRDS. They were originally bred to flush out and hunt small game.

We have found many dead rabbits and moles, thanks to them. Kika is VERY prey driven.

KEEP ASKING! I'm here for ya!

Guest Anonymous

Oh, and I've been told (and agree from experience) that males are better pets than females. BUT, with a male Akita.....

Shibas are usually same sex agressive as well. Because we have one of each right now, I don't dare get a third dog. Not worth the chance.

What breeder are you look at going through. PM me if you feel more comfortable....I know of a couple that I would rather you NOT go through....

[quote name='gigishiba']Oh, and I've been told (and agree from experience) that males are better pets than females. [/quote]
[quote name='Luka-pop']Like gigishiba, I've heard that males are better. I heard they were more of a sort of "yeah, sure" (passive) type, whereas the females are more stubborn/stressed and won't let off as easily.[/quote]
To put in my two cents worth, I would like to say I disagree to some extent. I have not been around males THAT much, but I have been around a few and the females were WAY better than them. Not that I know that much, but Winnie definetely is not stressed...maybe stubborn though! :lol:
This is a question:
I noticed that on TV the best dogs were female, but in conformation the males were best. Is this because males are...never mind just read it above. So males are more passive? Well then I'm definetely getting a girl. I don't want another lazy dog! :lol:

[quote]Oh, and I've been told (and agree from experience) that males are better pets than females. [/quote]
[quote]Like gigishiba, I've heard that males are better. I heard they were more of a sort of "yeah, sure" (passive) type, whereas the females are more stubborn/stressed and won't let off as easily.[/quote]
To put in my two cents worth, I would like to say I disagree to some extent. I have not been around males THAT much, but I have been around a few and the females were WAY better than them. Not that I know that much, but Winnie definetely is not stressed...maybe stubborn though! :lol:
This is a question:
I noticed that on TV the best dogs were female, but in conformation the males were best. Is this because males are...never mind just read it above. So males are more passive? Well then I'm definetely getting a girl. I don't want another lazy dog! :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Sorry Yellow....we should have been more clear. We are only talking about Shiba males being more passive, not dogs in general. My bitch is, well, a bitch! :lol: Very much a sweartheart to people, but not to other dogs. She rules the roost, that's for dang sure! :lol: Kenzo is almost twice her size and she still is the one in charge!

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info guys, my problem now is finding a breeder, there doesnt seem to be a whole heck of a lot of them around where I am, I've been surfing all over and so far only got one responce from New Jersy :-?

• 2 weeks later...

I will try to find some names for you. For the most part, what Gigi said is correct although mine is not aloof toward strangers at all and loves other dogs. My dog is not the norm. How does your Akita get along with other dogs? I'd be worried about putting the two together because they can both be dog aggressive breeds - and the Shiba does not think it is a little dog! My breeder has seen 8 week old Shiba littermates go at it so it's important to look for good temperment.

Ok, here are a few breeders in the New England area. Sorry, I can't really make any recommendations, but these came off the Shiba Club website. The only one I know is good is Innisfree. They have very nice dogs.

Tawny Hill Shibas
Adele M. Gray
Cook Road
Prospect, CT 06712
Ph. (203) 758-4801
[email][email protected][/email]

Cape Cod Shibas
Charlene Maxim
182 Timberlane Drive
Mashpee, MA 02649
(508) 477-3509
[email][email protected][/email]