Dogomania

Old Sheltie Loosing Fur...Long

Mary's Mama

Hello. I have a 12 year old Sheltie that is loosing fur and I am not sure why.

Background info: Bo is my husbands childhood dog and a poster case for why you should never give a 12 year old a puppy and expect them to be responsible. Bo is 12, 48 lbs, missing his front right foot because he chewed it off and generally a complete mess. My husband loves him very much but had no idea how to take care of him and by the time my hubby was 16, he had better things to do than take care of this dog. Bo was neglected for many years which explains his condition to this point, and my husband is painfully guilty and self loathing about it. I have tried to do what I can to help get Bo as well as possible. He is now eating Wellness Super5Mix Chicken and since Sept has long approx 15 lbs. He still chews and licks his feet and occasionally has to wear an e-collar until it heals. He was extensively tested by the Univ. of Illinois vet school to determine if he had allergies, which they found none. Other than his weight (arthritis as a complication), and the licking/chewing issue, the vet says he is in good health.

Our current issue. About two weeks ago we noticed round "spots" in the fold between his belly and right thigh where skin was peeling and the fur had fallen out. They started out the size of a nickel and are now about the size of a half dollar. No redness, fluids or any signs of infection. Yesterday I noticed two more "spots" on his chest (under chin) and yet another on the outer side of the left theigh. The hair has fallen out, and the top layer of skin is peeling away. Again no redness except for the one that he had licked. I have no experience with older dogs, skin problems, etc and am at a loss. My husband is afraid he is in pain and suffering and if so is ready to put an end to it. I will take a pic of the spots and post later today.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be? Is my husband premature in feeling it is his time to go to the bridge? What are you initial feelings? TIA (Sorry so long)

Brittany has had a ringworm type infection, she would get it on a yearly basis. I found that if I caught it early, I could control it with alcohol to clean the skin and neosporin. She went a few years without an outbreak but had one again recently. I had stopped giving the dogs The Missing Link supplement for a while, they are all back on it, her skin is clean and clear.

• 2 weeks later...