Dogomania

Obedience Classes

Guest Anonymous

My baby is 5 months old this past Monday. My is mostly brown tipped with black but he has white on the tips of all his feet, the tip of his tail, and his belly. He sleeps in his crate at the end of our bed. He is very sweet, loves people, is ok with other dogs as long as they are friendly. He is teething right now, but I have discovered beef knuckle bones (soup bones) and HE LOVES THEM. AND almost every time he gets one, another tooth comes out. He does look like a little old man though. :-?

We are going to a personal trainer for basic obedience and to get his CGC. We are doing so well and having so much fun that I want to learn more about dog training. I want to learn how to teach people to train their own dogs. I am also interested in pet education. I my area you often hear, "awww it's just a cat", or "it's just a dog". Few people respect other people much less animals.

Anyway that's us. We look forward to getting to know you all.

Guest Anonymous

Can wait to see pictures of him! Akitas are so huge....but at least you don't have to worry about that tail knocking everything off the coffee table! :lol:

Lets see, clicker training and not begging. One way is to teach the down/stay. First teach it away from dinner time and the table. Teach her to lie down using the clicker to mark the correct behaviour as soon as it happens. Then expand on that and teach her to stay using the clicker. Again your initial training is in a fairly quiet place with not a bunch of distractions, like a savory steamy pot roast sitting on the table. 8)
Remember, the clicker is to mark her correct behaviour, I would not suggest using it as the release signal, I would have a word for that such as OK or whatever you like.
At first, be right near her, only ask her to stay for 30 seconds or even 15 if she's too antsy waiting longer, and gradually increase your distance from where she is supposed to stay. Do not click until she has stayed the time you are asking her for. After you click and treat, give the release word. Advanced training is to delay giving the release word a few seconds after click/treat.
Also work on the stay command when she is in a sitting position.
At dinner time, put Isabelle in her down/stay. At first maybe wait just a minute or two, while you are at the table, repeat her stay command, get up and walk to her with the clicker and a treat, click and treat IF SHE HOLDS HER STAY. Remember, at the very second you click, you are reinforcing her current behaviour. If she moves from her stay, do NOT click and treat, even if she held it while you were sitting and only broke as you approached. She must hold the stay until you give her a release word such as OK or DONE or whatever you like. Again build up the time you expect her to stay over time.
If you do not want her to beg, NEVER allow it. Be consistant in your expectations.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a pretty lively dog too. And she is a BIG chewer. She'll eat anything she can fit into her mouth... and even some things she can't. I've taken her through basic and advanced obedience, and it has helped a lot. Not only does she obey better, she knows that I'm alpha and when I say something is wrong, it's WRONG.

One "trick" I've particularly enjoyed is the command "go to your rug" or "rug". I've taught her that when I say "rug" she needs to go to her rug (an old blanket that's light, comfey, and portable) and stay there until I release her by actually touching her head. When she is at her rug, if I provide her with a bone or something else to chew on (not a ball or something that takes human interaction) she can lay there for hours. You just got to remember to release her before she pees the rug!!! LOL