Dogomania

NEED HELP WITH DOGGY MANNERS!!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My dog is DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!
She has NO manners WHAT - SO - EVER! I know we discussed this before, and I've been TRYING to fix it, but I'm about to kick her fury butt out in the snow! (Don't worry, I'll try to refrane myself) :evil:
This morning, she was GREAT when I let her out to go pee... listened to me and everything, then when we get inside, I make my breakfast (and hers) and when I sit down at the comp, and am pushing the kitty off my chair I turn around and there's Hazel snatching my food!!! :evilbat:
She's REALLY nosey, she will get right in your face when your trying to eat, even stealing it right outa your hand!!! I swear it isn't possible for me to feed this dog anymore! She'll explode!! But she seems to be ALWAYS hungry!! I have to watch her all the time now because she gets into the garbage, cat food, and people food, all of which she CAN'T HAVE because the diet she's on!!!
Any suggestions to teach my Nosey Pooch that HER food is for HER, and MY food is for ME! Not Her's is her's and mine is her's!!!

P.S.
Apparently I need help with spelling too... Mannors? Manners??? LOL (Had to edit post)

Go out and buy a small rug or piece of carpeting (big enough for her to lay/sit on) and teach her to sit/stay or down/stay on it when you say "rug". Then when you're eating, just tell her to get on the rug, and you can eat in peace. Afterwards, maybe give her a treat (something from her regular diet) or bone so she knows she's not really missing out. If you can't or don't want to try this, you can also just put her in a down/stay while you eat (it's easier to keep her away if she has a "target" to stay on though :lol: ), put her on a tie-down, or in her crate with a bone. As for the food snatching, just don't leave it down where she can get it :lol: or you can try squirting her when she tries.

Guest Anonymous

My dog used to be really nosy at the dinner table. For me, the easiest solution was to just crate her while my family was eating, then I gave her a small piece of a biscuit when I let her out. If she whined, she would be ignored and wouldn't get ANYTHING unless she stopped. She never makes noise in her crate while we eat anymore...she understands that if she's quiet, she will get HER treat. In terms of Hazel snatching your food, basically you just have to make sure not to leave it out...(as gooeydpg said) While you are having a snack or whatever, it would probably be easier to just put her in a down-stay or on a specific rug (as gooeydog also said!). :)

Thankfully, Luka had been taught not to eat with humans at his previous home, but my mom always used to trip on him when he followed her around in the kitchen. Eventually, I had to train him not to come into the kitchen. I started out with a firm "No" when he came into the kitchen. When that didn't work, I took drops of water and I flicked it at him, just enough to startle him, a gentle amount. While I flicked the water, I said "Go away!" Withing 10 minutes (he's a fast learner), with the flicking hand motion (no water) and command, he'll back away from the kitchen and will lie down and stare at you from the living room. When I finish with the kitchen, I grab a treat and reward him for waiting patiently. Now, he'll follow us eeverywhere, but as soon as we enter the kitchen area, he'll stop and lie down. Seriously, this dog will learn commands in less than 30 minutes. He's so sensitive, which is a good thing when it comes to training, but that's why he's such a severe velcro dog :roll: .

Guest Anonymous

Well, I try to get her to stay somewhere else while I eat (not in the crate I mean, well she always stays in the crate when we eat super anyway), but I don't ever seem to get a hot meal because she's CONSTANTLY needing to be told to stay!!! Any other time she will stay really good, but when I have food... that's a different story.
I will try to flicking water thing to get her to stay outa the kitchen though! THe door knob on the door is broken, so she can just open the door anway, and it gets irritating to keep closing it.

My solution to this is a baby gate - give her her rug, tell her to lie down,
and then gate her out of the eating area. If she gets up yu can order her down again, without having to have her in your face while doing it. Then when you're done eating, if she was good, give her a treat.

My Golden used to steal food all the time - right off the table!!

We put his water up, and left a spoonful of peanut butter on the table.

He of course snarfed it down, and tried continuously to swallow it for
over a half an hour. He was licking and swallowing constantly.
He never stole anything again, but this wont work with every dog.

Guest Anonymous

Hazel LOVES peanutbutter! LOL
We don't own a baby gate either... no babies! I have 2 sis's that are 21 and 17 and I'm 15, so if we ever had a baby gate, it's long gone!
But I'll try the "rug" thing (however it will have to be like a towl or something)

An inexpensive plastic baby gate can be gotten pretty much anywhere - all you nesd is one wide enough to cover the doorway - The peanut butter would not have worked except we put his water up - so he couldnt drink anything to force it down.

even a piece of plywood would work in the doorway.

anything to block her out will do, and the towel/rug/bed is just a reminder that this is where she needs to go when yu eat.

Best of luck to you!!

I hate to admit it, but it WAS funny to watch. He was licking, swallowing, licking, swallowing....it took forever to get down without water.

He decided that stealing food wasnt worth it after that, but like I said, it wont work with every dog. And you gotta put the water up, or its just another treat for them. Might not work foir Hazel, since she's used to eating peanut butter already.

It wont hurt her, without water, if you're worrying about that. It just requires them to work hard to get enough saliva to swallow it....

It's gotta be a good sized glob too....since they eat everything without thinking, it's got to be big enough to cause it to be hard to swallow. It wont hurt her.

:D

i've been trying to get dresden to "go lie down" too, she hovers like a vulture anytime anyone is eating. i think (since she has not yet had enough exposure to water to get used to it ) that i'll get a little spray bottle and whenever she comes in the kitchen or i need her to go lie down i'll tell her to do so and show her what to do and then if she is persistant i'll pull out the spray bottle and squirt her while telling her to go lie down. hopefully it'll work.

I know this will sound really mean but I've been told that a mouse trap works wonders for garbage theives. Put it on top and leave garbage as you normally would. Pooch sticks nose in and wallah, pup that doesn't like the garbage no matter what good smells come from it. For the other problems sounds like everyone has given you some good advice to start with. See if any of them work and then let us know what happens.
Remember you have to attain alpha position. Sounds like miss Hazel is becoming a bit to big for her britches and needs someone to remind her that she is not alpha.
Good luck.

Wish I had a solution but we've never had a problem with getting BK to lie down or stay when we're eating. He did the funniest thing a few months ago. I had 2 friends over and we were having a hangover lunch of greasy KFC and chips. He kept looking at my chicken expectantly. I gave him a chip for being good and he took it and spat it back in my lap! He then went to the other two people and ate their chips like they were rump steak. Came back to me and I gave him some chicken, which he loved. Tried another chip and he spat it back at me again! Sneaky little thing knows he can get better food from me than boring old chips. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

i did the spray bottle thing with dresden this morning while we were eating and she only came back in once, all i had to do the second time was tell her go lie down and show her the spray bottle, hopefully i won't need the spray bottle as a reinforcer for very long but it worked great.

Oooh! What a clever dog bk is! He's got your number for sure! :lol: :lol:

My boys will sit very respectfully beside the table. their noses at table level but a decent distance away. But as the meal progresses they magically teleport, or scoot without moving any body parts (like someone pulling them along on a rug) closer and closer until their quivering lips are almost touching the table.

Then we have to say, "Lay down" and point to the floor. They roll their eyes and very slowly and reluctantly lay down. "Good dogs!" They know they will get a treat if they are cooperative.

Both Max and Ben know how to eat off a table fork; scraping the food off with their little front teeth. It is so cute! Are we over the edge?