Dogomania

Kra

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi i want to introduce you a very special breed from my country. I didn't write all this text it's copy-paste from teh site :
[url]http://www.drustvo-kraskih-ovcarjev.si/index_e.html[/url]

I'm Slovenian ...
...I'm strong, medium high, well built and muscular Shepherd dog.
My head is my well-defined decoration. It's noble because of my almond shaped eyes, pigmental eye-lids, kind look, very open and rather melancholy.
My iron grey hair is very thick, the tail looks the same almost reaching the heels. When somebody disturbs me I lift it above my back. Otherwise I keep it down, sometimes leaned to one side.
That's how I look when I'm moving:

I adore my master and at his side I'm calm and kind-hearted. I want to follow him everystep and I don't trust strangers who are trying to approach him. I know and respect his friends, but they can't buy me in order not to watch and defend him. I used to be the most popular Karst dog, used by shepherds to watch their flocks and estates. I'm a very good watchdog.

I love children, except I had some bad experience in the childhood.

I'm a good, intelligent learner, I think over and analyze each situation
They say I'm a sovereign and it's true. But I can also obey, in need my reaction is energetic and as swift as lightning.

In our family register are about 2300 of us. Our masters live all over Europe, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgiun, Switzerland and above all in Slovenia. Our owners like nature, wish to have a reliable watchdog and always find a lot of time for our proper care and education.

Brief history of the breed:

The origin of the Karst Shepherd derives from the 8 th century B.C. Within the region of the Illirian landscape existed a lot of sorts of shepherd dogs. Only Karst shepherd, Sarplaninec and Tornjak have established up to now. There are a lot of explanations about its arrival to Karst. The similar skeleton was found in the excavationsat Pompeas, there is also an amazing likeness to Caucasion shepherd. The most possible is that his ancestors come from Greek countries where they were guarding sheep. From there he reached the Adriatic Coast in the last century B.C.(source KRS of Yugoslavia,JAZU,Zagreb 1957)
Mistakes about the Karst dog and the Sarplanina dog:
A number of native and foreign experts were explaining in their magazines that Karst Shepherd is the younger brother of Sarplaninec or even his degenerate. There are some significant differences between those two breeds; in sight and in character. Similarities have been derived from their common ancestor. The same destiny has Tornjak, which hasn't been improved yet.

Brief history of the breed:

The origin of the Karst Shepherd derives from the 8 th century B.C. Within the region of the Illirian landscape existed a lot of sorts of shepherd dogs. Only Karst shepherd, Sarplaninec and Tornjak have established up to now. There are a lot of explanations about its arrival to Karst. The similar skeleton was found in the excavationsat Pompeas, there is also an amazing likeness to Caucasion shepherd. The most possible is that his ancestors come from Greek countries where they were guarding sheep. From there he reached the Adriatic Coast in the last century B.C.(source KRS of Yugoslavia,JAZU,Zagreb 1957)
Mistakes about the Karst dog and the Sarplanina dog:
A number of native and foreign experts were explaining in their magazines that Karst Shepherd is the younger brother of Sarplaninec or even his degenerate. There are some significant differences between those two breeds; in sight and in character. Similarities have been derived from their common ancestor. The same destiny has Tornjak, which hasn't been improved yet.

Recognition of breed
The Karst Shepherd has spread from Istria and Karst to other parts of Slovenia. It was first described in 17 th century by Janez Vajkard Valvasor. It could have almost become extinct in the past and by the end of the world war II, there were only a few left.
It became internationally known in 1939, and given the name the Illyrian Shepherd dog. Long run activities to aknowledge this typical Slovenian breed dog were realized in 1968. The note from I.Bozic (Informator, 1980):... Karst Shepherd became internationally akonowledged after 12 years of hard and persistant efforts of our well-known and hard working breeders.(source:M.Zidar,About Karst Shepherd, Domzale 1990)
Miroslav Zidar, Teodor Drening and Janez Hojan have finally managed to aknowledge it as our home breed dog. The important role in the history of breeding was done by breeders: dr.Ivan Lovrencic with his breeding place at Podgore in 1928, Ivan Pestotnik at Golovec; after the war Ivan Kupcic and later Ivan Bozic organized the selection station for Karst Shepherd in Slovenjska Bistrica. I.Bozic started to popularize the breed. He also organized the schooling for shepherd dogs. In 2001 (FCI) the breed has finally become known as Karst Shepherd after some changes and adations to the standard; it will take a certain time for the experts to get used to it.

See page where i found all this information:

[url]http://www.drustvo-kraskih-ovcarjev.si/index_e.html[/url]

If you have any questions about them I'll try to answer but I realy don't know the breed so well. But you can ask me about my country sLOVEnia

• 5 years later...