Dogomania

The importance of food for life stages

Mary's Mama

I am trying to gather many opinions on the importance of the appropriate food for the corresponding life stage. I have read many conflicting reports all over the web stating that puppy/senior foods are or are not necessary. If your response is breed specific, please state so. I am aware that giant breeds do not require puppy food.

I currently feed Wellness Chicken. I have a 12 yr old sheltie, 1 yr old jrt, and a new jrt pup on the way :). I have changed from free choice to meals, in anticipation of putting the 12 yr old on Wellness Senior, and the pup on Wellness Puppy.

That is my background, therefore, do you believe feeding for the correct life stage is the appropriate action to take, rather than having them all on regular adult food? Do you feel puppy food is necessary or preferred? Do you feel senior food is necessary or preferred? Thanks in advance.

I can only give you my experience, but I had Kato on Wellness puppy and he looked okay. I ended up switching him to Canidae because he liked it better and his coat improved almost right away. He doesn't show any signs of missing anything in his diet. On the other hand, both my previous dogs were fed puppy food, and I really don't see any difference between them - nothing I could point to and say one way of feeding is better then the other. One argument for the all life stages food is that in the wild, your dog wouldn't be able to pick baby Bambi for puppies or rotting roadkill for seniors. It doesn't seem to be a very good argument though and wasn't what swayed me to buy their food - I just liked the ingredients.

Senior foods.....
Ok, the ones i know about have more fish oils for joints etc in them.

Please give me a few days and i will find all the bumpf on them. :lol:

Guest Anonymous

I am also feeding Canidae but as pup is a very active 4 month old Cavalier (toy breed) I am feeding 50% Nutru NC puppy with it.
Ad Lib feeding with the best adult food available has always worked well for me in the past with medium sized dogs of all ages but whatever feels right and only you know yours.

Roo -

Any luck finding info on the senior food? If not do you have any site recommendations for me?

Guess maybe I'll just have to perform a little experiment and find out for myself! I guess as long as I am feeding good food they'll be just fine. There are a lot of dogs that eat a lot worse!

Thanks

Guest Anonymous

On the BARF diet, I've read (never experienced, since I started the diet on Hazel when she was 3 y/o) that you need to add certian stuff for the growing bodies. Never really looked into it though, will if I ever get a new puppy (wich yeah of course somewhere down the road I will! LOL). As for seniors on the BARF diet, you need to add fish oils and such, like Roo said, for their joints.
As for camercial dog foods, the puppy food has more vitiamins and minarls and stuff doesn't it? Because they need it to grow.