Dogomania

You know you have a big dog...

behle

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A BIG DOG WHEN...

* The sound of running water makes you jump up and yell, "OUTSIDE!"

* You tell your dog to sit, and he backs up until he finds a chair.

* It takes 3 people to get your dog on the scale at the vets.

* You walk your dog and everyone knows him by name, but you have no idea who these people are.

* You can carry on a conversation with a dog's muzzle firmly in your crotch.

* You own a dog capable of pulling someone from a port-a-potty.

* You carry a tape measure with you when shopping for a new vehicle.

* You keep at least one color-coded "drool towel" in every room of your house.

* After banishing your husband, the snoring in your bedroom still keeps you awake.

* You are hiking with a friend who later suggests that you ought to have an environmental impact statement done on your dog.

* Visitors enter the house holding their privates protectively.

* You toss your dog a ball and cringe when he almost hits his head on the top of the doorway.

* You take your dog for a ride and he rests his head on your arm, causing you to make random right turns.

* You have given up on water dishes and you just use the bathtub.

* Your two dogs decide to play in the house, and they end up pulling the ceiling fan down, for the second time.

* You have to move over when brushing your teeth because your dog wants a drink.

* You show a picture of your dogs and kids together, and the first person you point out is your dog.

* While stopped at a stop light, everyone stares as your car rocks back and forth because the dog is panting out the window.

* You go to vacuum your car and most of the fur is up there on the ceiling.

* You've learned to force a smile when asked "do you have a saddle for that thing?"

* The monthly dog budget exceeds your home mortgage payment.

* Your veterinarian has been able to put in a swimming pool, build a large home, buy jet skis and a vacation home in Florida.

* You have had to train your dog not to lick dishes, and the dishes are in the sink.

* The donuts you put on top of the refrigerator are gone when you get home and your dog has powdered sugar on his nose.

* Your dog can see what you're cooking and he tries to assist you in the preparation.

* You're holding him straddled between your legs when the doorbell rings and you find yourself quickly transported straight to the front door.

* The pizza delivery people tell you to meet them at the end of the sidewalk.

* Your dog stands in your lap and reaches over you to stick his head in the drive-through window at McDonalds and nearly gives the cashier a heart attack when she turns around to give you your change.

* You purchase a large screen TV and you still can't see the program when he stands in front of the television.

* After surgery, your bored pup decides to get up and cruise around the vet's office, pulling the rolling IV stand behind him.

:lol:

K, I agree! I thought we already had two big dogs, but my husband said the other day..."Wouldn't it be nice if we had two saints?" :o :o

I thought "Where did that idea come from?" That would make three dogs and two cats, and (in the summer) my classroom guinea pig too!!!

Although the idea of [u]two cuddly, friendly saints does have a lot of appeal[/u]! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

:o I know just how you feel!
my AB is most likely 20-35 pounds heavier than me and his paws are bigger than my hands!. I need a lift to get him in the truck!
I almost peed my pants becouse I could not get off the couch, he had his head and front end over me lying on my lap. I was almost in tears trying to get him off.

oh yea forget trick or treaters!.
one came to my house and the dog had his face pressed up against the glass of the storm door drooling (not a prety site) and the kid screamed " Monster" and all the kids ran down the walk never to be seen again.
we always have lots of extra candy around holloween....lol

I can also relate to alot of them - although mine aren't newfies or saints,
the male is big and the female is mid-sized. He did actually scare the
lady at Arby's by sticking his head out the back window and "woofing"
at her - LOL I always leave the back window down enough so that he can stick his head out, but cant get out of the car...

He could smell the food, and wanted it!!

Which brings up another question, one I've heard before...

WHY IS IT that if you blow in their faces they get mad, but the first thing they do in the car is tick their heads out the window????

My saint has 17 acres of woods to wander through with us, but he rarely wants to give it that much effort. He really requires much less in the way of exercise than my rottie who is absolutely ball crazy. Our saint usually wants to have a good wander around our grassy yard (probably about 3 acres or so) before he finds a good high spot to lay on and watch the world go by. In the winter he is content in the house as long as he and his rottie brother play what I call Clash of the Titans before going back inside after potty breaks! :D

2 acres is still a LOT - compared to my 80' by 60' back yard.....

I didnt know they tired that quickly... - can you send some of that to my labs???? LOL

I could walk them for HOURS and they wont tire - I DO, however....

and you're right - water is the savings grace. Mine will stay in it for hours
if I let them. And then I dont have to get worn out having them walk me....

I have a kids pool in the backyard during the summer when it's hot.
Seeing both of them squish into it is hilarious......

:D

Guest Anonymous

[quote]* You have given up on water dishes and you just use the bathtub. [/quote]

I laughed so hard when I read that cuz I can relate! LOL The rest were funny too, but this reminded me of my dog I had before, Jasper, he was an Aussie cross, but he was BIG. We had an old bath tub for our horse's troft (sp?), and after my sis sold her horses when she moved, I kept filling it up for Jasper! LOL Water dishes just didn't cut it! I even tried buckets! LOL But the Bath tub seemed to do the trick just right! LOL I still fill it up in the summer, it's great for Hazel (and the neighbor's dogs :roll: ) to cool off in in the summer.

Guest Anonymous

We just went out today and baught a 5 gallon waterer for the dogs.....lol had to fill the dish about 6 times a day. Darn thing is just like a water cooler....lol but that should last for a little while....lol

[quote name='behle']
You're holding him straddled between your legs when the doorbell rings and you find yourself quickly transported straight to the front door.
[/quote]
That one's my favorite :lol: Duck isn't big enough to do that, but its just too funny...great stuff behle, thanks for sharing...so funny, I'm still laughing my head off :lol: :lol: