2, 3 days maybe. You would notice that the dog cant "go" more serious
symptoms are lack of appetite, listlessness, sometimes pain in the
lower intestinal area.

If you see the dog turning constantly and trying to go, and nothing comes out,
then I would have it checked by a vet.

Mine ate a pair of pantyhose - I got this information from the emergency
vet line. He did pass them normally, but it was a traumatic few days of
watching every time he went

My kids LOVE rawhide but they're both pretty aggressive chewers....especially Mason. Years ago I tried the "give them a real big rawhide and stand right over them" route. Wasn't comfortable with that...too frequently one or the other would succeed in chewing off a piece that I'd have to stick my hand in and haul back out of their mouths.

For quite a while we went into "rawhide withdrawl". I bought those giant mutant carrots and would give them one of those after dinner. They love carrots but, they run through them a lot faster.

A Dobe breeder I know recommended getting what I call the rawhide "twigs". I think they're really made for small dogs. They're maybe 4" long and slender....not even as large in diameter as a pencil. Sounds like the type of thing one of my kids would swallow whole, doesn't it? Well, they don't. They lie down after dinner and grasp those little twigs in their paws and chew, chew, chew. The love them. Best of all is that if one of them did do something dumb like swallow the whole twig, it's small enough (in relation to their size) that it won't cause an obstruction.

Yeah, I bend over backwards to feed my dogs BARF ensuring that I know everything they eat and then I let them have rawhide. I know it doesn't make much sense but, that's the way it is. :D

Personally I would not recommend RAWHIDE especially given to aggressive chewers as it only takes a second for the chew to become lodged down the dogs throat which i nearly had happen to my Bullmastiff who had half down his and managed to pull it out.
Luckily i was in the room at the time otherwise who knows what could have happened. So now none of mine have RAWHIDE CHEWS!

However a few weeks later i read in a dog magazine that a 2 year old Bullmastiff was given Rawhide to go to bed on and the owners found him lying there the next morning struggling to breath, but before they could get him to the vet he sadly died in his owners arms.

So please please think about what your doing if you are to give your dogs RAWHIDE make sure that you are keeping watch at all times just incase your dog decides to swallow the whole lot....these chews get very soggy which is like rubber and difficult to tear, which is understandable why they are also hard to digest in the dogs stomach.

P.S I WILL TRY AND FIND THE MAGAZINE (amongst the hundreds) ABOUT THE BULLMASTIFF AND LINK IT HERE.

My dogs only get compressed rawhide. It can still cause a problem but as a rule, they work their way through much less quickly. I also supervise them while they are chewing on it. They have their rawhide for about 20 minutes, then I pick it up for another day. If I see any sign of flaps or chunks, I take it away. I also gave my dogs greenies for the first time last night, they all loved them. Even Jesse finished his, he is not at all an aggressive chewer and usually loses interest in rawhide after just a few minutes. I did get the petitie size, they come in a bag of 24 for $14.99, pretty pricey. Took Brittany about 10 minutes which is surprising as she is the hardest chewer. Candy and Jesse finished theirs in about 15-20 minutes each.

IN MEMORIUM

I WRITE TO WARN YOU ALL OF THE PLIGHT
OF OUR CHUNG LEE WHO DIED ON SATURDAY NIGHT.
THOUGH SHE LIKED ONLY PEOPLE SHE CHOSE,
WE LOVED HER MORE THAN ANYONE KNOWS.
FOR TWO AND A HALF DAYS SHE ATE NO FOOD.
SHE REALLY WAS NOT IN THE MOOD.
ON SATURDAY SHE BECAME QUITE SICK.
WE SUMMONED THE VET REALLY QUICK.
HE STOPPED THE SICKNESS, HE HAD THE KNACK,
WITHIN AN HOUR HER SPIRTS BOUNCED BACK.
THOUGH OUR OTHER SHAR-PEI SHE WAS PLEASED TO SEE,
SHE WAS TIRED, AND A LITTLE WEARY.
SO ON HER BEANBAG SHE LIED,
AND WITHIN A MINUIT SHE HAD DIED.
FOR DAYS THE FAMILY CRIED AND CRIED,
HER BOWELS WERE BLOCKED WITH A BONE MADE OF HIDE......

Borrowed from the shar-pei site :cry: :cry: :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

You can try Bully Sticks instead of rawhide. I'm pretty sure they are completely digestible and Kato likes them better too. I like when they ring them up at PetsMart and it comes up on the receipt as "beef part". I think it should say beef weener. :)

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Kiger']You can try Bully Sticks instead of rawhide. I'm pretty sure they are completely digestible and Kato likes them better too. I like when they ring them up at PetsMart and it comes up on the receipt as "beef part". I think it should say beef weener. :)[/quote]

Pizzle......

Mine each got one right now and they love it. Although, they only get them when we lock them inside because otherwise they dissappear...and at $5 a pop, it's too expensive!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='mouseatthebusstop']Pizzle......

Mine each got one right now and they love it. Although, they only get them when we lock them inside because otherwise they dissappear...and at $5 a pop, it's too expensive!

gi-gi you and your pizzle I don't think they sell it in the uk[/quote]

:lol:

Good stuff Mouse!

I got Roxie some pizzle a couple of weeks ago (damn, it is expensive!!) and she LOVED it...although it did smell kinda funny... But other than that, she finished a whopping 12" pizzle (yummy!) within 30-45 minutes and then started walking around looking for another! I was just wondering if pizzle is safe to leave a dog alone with in a kennel...I don't think Roxie got any big pieces off, so it seemed pretty safe - but I figured I might as well ask all you pizzle experts out there (gigi..lol) while we're on the subject of it!

Guest Anonymous

Mine use to be left alone with it ALL THE TIME! Now we don't because we rarely lock them in the house anymore...and if I would now, they'd take them outside. Three months later they'd pull one out again! :lol:

This is what my vet recommended because pizzle will NOT break off in chunks like rawhide does. It comes off in strings.

They sure do love them, don't they! And it keeps them very busy... :lol: