Dogomania

Groomer in Training

pzoo9

I am taking classes to be certified as a groomer. I am studying hard and my instructor is a caring, patient professional whom I hope to emulate someday. I am excited about getting into this profession and would like to work towards being a show groomer/Master groomer.

I have heard quite a few horror stories about bad groomers though. Badly cut quicks, the groomer thought the dog was a poodle and it was really a bichon frise, ugly cuts, cutting the dog etc. But I know there are some good groomers out there.

What are some good things that you have experienced from a groomer that made them stand out from the others?

Well growing up with Standard Poodles we used to go a lot!
Our groomer was really great, my mom still uses her. In fact she has kept our dogs at her house when we've gone on vacation, although that came later in the relationship.

From day one, she was always really nice and you could tell she took great care with our girl. We had taken her to other places and they can be pretty rough. Holly was more relaxed with Bonnie and she was a real dog lover and would really be sweet to Holly. We appreciated that she would call the moment Holly was done so we could pick her up right away.

Of course we always liked how they remembered Holly and that she did a great job. And she used really cute bows in the hair.

Bonnie's shop was located right by our vet, which was convenient. Holly bloated and torsed, needing a spleenectomy and tack. She was there recovering for quite some time and my nice vet allowed me to stay with her. So Bonnie saw me walking Holly with an IV rack for a potty break out the window, and immediately called our house to see what was going on and if she was ok. Her concern and recognition of us from a distance was really sweet and appreciated.

Bonnie has been our family groomer for wow, 10 years? She is professional and does a great job, loves the animals, and treats us like family. What more could we ask for?

Good luck with your aspirations and I hope you are able someday to build a loyal clientele like our groomer has done.

Sorry, I went out of town. Thank you for your reply. I am hoping to be as good as your family groomer. Being a kind animal care professional is my goal, and I am glad to hear that people do have good relationships with their groomers and even long time relationships.

Guest Anonymous

Hi,
I worked as a groomer for a few years from home and the best thing I ever did was buy a book showing different trims incl X breeds. Picking page 14 or 21 was far easier for the owner and saved me trying to understand exactly what the owner wanted. A trim for one can mean a shave to another. :nono:

On the same topic of "trim," the word "Matted" also means different things to people. I got a shih-tzu today that was, very cute, very sweet and very old. The owner told me before she dropped it off that she didn't want a shaved and it had been before and she didn't like it. Total red flag.

The dog was really resisting me on the table while I checked its back end. And I found out why pretty quick. Its back legs were practically knitted together with matts! It couldn't stand completely up because its hocks were practically attached to its hind end. :(

I talked with my instructor and she said "Send it home! You aren't ready for that." The owner of course was completely oblivous and was like "Ill just cut it myself" in spite of my warnings. She was also bent because I didn't do its anal glands. If I could have found the anus in that mess, I may have. Better she cut her own dog than me. That groomer that completely shaved her dog last time did her dog a huge favor.

Guest Anonymous

I hate matted ~ took the whole coat off a cocker in two pieces split down the back and underneath, legs too. Thousands of fleas that were living in sheltered comfort under that mess. The coat had been 'brushed' on top of the mess. Comes under the heading of groomers nightmares. :D Dog was pretty good about the whole deal though. Owner thought the dog had put on weight :o