Dogomania

Foster Homes

eggrolyn1223

Do you foster dogs?  

1. 1. Do you foster dogs?

I wish I could foster dogs from rescue organizations..but my mom would say, one dog is enough...I wish she would understand that we would be saving a dog's life, not keeping one! :-? Do any of you foster dogs right now?Just looking at the Dobe rescue makes me want me to help them in some way... :cry: poor dogs..

No, sadly we don't foster dogs. We have picked up strays and returned them to their homes, that sort of thing. Luckily we have not had to take any dog to the humane society's shelter! We donate to our local shelter as well, now that they are a no-kill shelter. A welcome change!

I think people who foster dogs are fantastic, altruistic folks. My husband and I have always adopted adult or young adult dogs who need a home. It's wonderful to be able to learn about your prospective new dog from it's foster family. We have always found their insight valuable when adopting.

My husband and I both work full-time in demanding jobs. We have two large dogs, and two cats in our rather small farmhouse and feel that fostering at this point in time would upset the balance among our four-legged family. Sigh! Maybe when I retire we could foster!

People who foster are GREAT! :Dog_run:

Guest Anonymous

Well, I didn't answer the poll cuz it didn't fit me. No, I don't, and no I'm not checking into it, but I plan on it when I retire. Or, who knows, once our babies go (can't even think of that right now) maybe our next will be foster.

I plan on it in the future. There. That's the answer I need.

We have fostered one dog so far - Tyr, very hard to let him go but also worth it. We think we will start looking for our next foster when Zaphod is at least 6 months, that way he'll have all his shots and we'll have finished his first obedience class.
We hope to foster at least one dog a year, maybe two depending on how long each foster stays. It was great helping Tyr come out of his shell and teaching him basic obedience and housetraining so he would be ready to go to his new home. I think that should be a major role of foster homes. Dogs from bad homes or who have been in shelter for too long start reacting to it, they behave in ways that fool people into thinking they wouldn't be a good per - excessive barking (they desperately want attention) or ignoring people (their dejected) or messing inside (they live in dog runs, nowhere else to mess), etc. Get a dog out of a shelter or bad home so you can work through whatever issues you can so possible adoptive homes can see what a great dog the foster could be.

• 2 months later...

I have never fostered a dog per se. Well, there was this Pit that was similar to a foster pet. He was the sweetest dog I ever met. Never flinched, never barked, never growled or anything. Always just hung out with that smile on his face. Man, I loved that dog so much.

Anyway, I've been educating myself about the issue a lot lately. I guess it started after I heard something on the local news about fostering pets who's owners were in the war, adn had no one to take care of their pets. I'm still looking into it, but who knows at this point . Definately in the future I can see it happening :D

I give people who foster dogs a lot of credit. I really don't think I could do it. I know I would have a real hard time letting go of the dogs I had fostered, as I get so darn attached so quickly. But I'm sure glad that there are people who foster dogs, as both of my rescue dogs were fostered at homes with other dogs, so I got a good idea of how they were in a home setting.

• 1 month later...

:o I put yes to fostering dogs ,we have fostered 7 Great danes ,2 gsd and 20 puppies in the last 2 years but i know have to change my vote to NO as the rescue that i foster for is shutting down .My last foster Pup Pebbles went to live next door to me ,she is a little westie cross ,was astray i was handed her from a couple of kids found her in the street ,i had to keep her 30 days before i could rehome her she is so sweet and i see her all the time as she only next door :lol: Tracy&gangxx

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Anonymous

I foster on an off for Labrador Retriever Rescue of Florida ([url]www.labradorrescue.org[/url]). Right now I have a Yellow Lab/Golden Retriever mix with severe separation anxiety. He's a tough case, usually I only have the dogs for a week or two, because our organization really does a great job of placing them in good homes fast, however, this one is taking a lot longer because of treatment etc...

Also, I have not fostered any heartworm positive dogs yet. I think I may after I'm done with this one. I'd like to learn more about how to cure that and what have you. We get a lot of HW+ dogs coming in and we have to quaranteen them and get them through all their meds before we can adopt them out.

To answer some of your questions/comments. It is VERY hard to let go... especially of your first few fosters. But, it does help to know that you've basically saved their lives and that you are confident that they're going to a great home since we go through an extensive interview process and home check before we place any of our pups in homes. We also do follow ups with the new pet parents to make sure things are ok.

Anyway, thanks for bringing up this important issue. I think more people should foster. It's actually very rewarding to the dog and to you! Just get over the first time which is difficult and then the more you go through it, the better it becomes until you're like... "so... when am I getting a new foster dog?" :-)

• 8 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Parents won't allow it! :(

I plan on doing fostering once I'm out of the house and have enough time to spend with the animal. I begged them to let me foster a litter of kittens since the shelter I volunteer at has kittens everywhere, but no go. I said I would keep them in my room and have everything they need in there and I would provide all their care, but nope, they came up with a lame excuse saying they didn't want kittens running around everywhere.... didn't I say I would have them only in my room? :roll:

I would also love to sponsor a local animal, but no shelters do that around here! Hopefully, they'll soon develop that!

• 3 years later...

[B]:smile: I don't take on more than I can handle for the sake of the pet. So at this time in my life I don't, but after my two kids are grown and well on their way definably:mdrmed:. When I see wonderer's I most definably take them in, only if I can determine if they are not hostile. That way I can keep them from harm until someone can come pick them up.[/B]