Dogomania

She's screaming!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi,
My 3 month old shih-tsu, Molly was sore on a spot on her back from a vaccination. Every time we or our other pup would touch her the wrong way she'd yelp. Of corse we would feel bad when this would happen and rush to her aid. Now time has passed and her "wound" has healed, but when she's not getting her own way she lets out a gosh awful scream. Is she faking it for attention or do you think something is wrong? :roll:

There could still be a problem or it could be a learned behav. to manipulate you. To be safe you could rule out any physial problems and then work on the behav. If it is puppy manipulation you may have to ignore the screaming to ensure your not rewarding behaviours you want to eliminate. You could reward her after she's stopped for a bit and give her whatever she wanted before.

Have the vet check her over - verify there is nothing really wrong - and then know this is a learned behaviour. She got so much attention from
the injury, that now whenever she wants attention she will use the same means to get it. They're as bad as kids in that department.

When she screams for attention, ignore her - I know that's hard!
But if you dont do it, she will yelp, scream and make all the noise in the world from this point on, until you give in. DONT GIVE IN.

When she has stopped yelping for attention, call her to you, tell her she's good and give her a treat. Also, give her a command when she starts
to yelp - SILENCE - or STOP - something short she will learn to understand.

then when she obeys, call her to you and treat her or give her lots of affection. I use CHILL with my dogs when they get loud.

Over time, she will stop. You have to unlearn the previous behaviour.

They remind me of kids in supermarkets that scream until mom buys them
what they want. It's exactly the same scenario - manipulation with a purpose. Good Luck!!

Katy