Dogomania

Bowlingual - Translate a dog's bark!

Luka-pop

My dog has what you call very severe separation anxiety. He can't even be left alone for 3 minutes! Everybody thought that it was because he was worried that we would abandon him. However, I have this Japanese device called the Bowlingual, manufactured in September 2002 by TAKARA Company. It actually catches the wavelenths of a dog's bark and translates it into human language (Japanese). You choose your dog's breed, and depending on the pattern of the wavelengths, which vary with a dog's mood, translates it. According to the Bowlingual, my dog isn't afraid, but he want's somebody to play with him. It said "Let's play," "I'm bored," "Why aren't you playing with me," and "Why aren't I the center of attention?" He barks sooo loud. Is there anything I can do? This is not your normal separation anxiety dog. [b]He is EXTREMELY SEVERE![/b] That's the reason why the previous owner surrendered him to the shelter. How can he be helped? He'll also try to get out of his crate and wear his teeth down.

Bowlinguals have been proven to work. TAKARA has a great rep right now. The translations are really accurate. Some of them are really obvious, but others aren't. For example, if a dog barks at strangers aat the front door, do you know what they're thinking? Some dogs may be frightened, protective, angry that they've stepped into their territory, and actually, some want the strangers to play with them. in cases like that, it's really interesting. There's a website, [url]http://www.takaratoys.co.jp/bowlingual/[/url] but it prolly won't help if you can't read Japanese.

Guest Anonymous

"How to Speak Dog" by Stanely Coren (sp?) is a GREAT book to read if you want to figure out what your dog is saying! (you could always be weird like me and spend so much time with your dog you practiclly speak dog yourself! :lol: ) When we had to bring Hazel to a shelter last year when we went on holidays, she was barking and going crazy, it was so sad. I was reading the book at the time, and I looked up how she was barking, it said she was saying "Stop it!" :lol: AWE! Poor Hazel!!!

As for the seperation anxiety, TRAINING is recomened! It CAN be trained out of a dog, to at least a tolerant degree. There is also drugs you can get for it, but I wouldn't suggest those.
Hazel has a mild case of seperation anxiety, but I've been training her lots with it, practicing "stay" as I go around a corner, leaving her in my room for a few minutes, once she calms down, I go in there and praise her LOTS! Also I'll get my mom or someone to hold onto her while I go in the next room, when Hazel starts to "freak out" she tries to calm her down, distracting her with a toy or something, this way she gets more use to someone else being with her, instead of just me. Once she's distracted for a minute, I come back in and praise her.
Since my dog is a VELCRO DOG, she is attached to only ME, then this works... I'm not sure about yours though, since you didn't say if it was just with your dog, or maybe just the fact it's by itself.
If you go to your local search engine (perhaps even Dogo? *wink wink- nudge nuge* :lol: ) and type in "Seperation Anxiety in Dogs" I'm sure they'll be some training advice... plus I'm sure not everyone's read this already, so your yet to get some more advice!