Dogomania

Airplane Qs

eggrolyn1223

I will probably be going back to the US in a week or two.I was supposed to go back in June but decided I wanted to go now. Duck is coming with me...as soon as we find out all the stuff about flying with dogs.
How long do they(meaning the U.S.) quarantine dogs?And is it cruel9as some people say) to make a dog fly from Taiwan to America?It would be 12 hours to CA, but we live in TX, so add 3 more hours, and that's 15 hours altogether.Should I take her with me now, or wait until she's older(1 year old)?if I wait until she's older, that will be in June.I think it would be better to go now, since we could take her to puppy class(they dont have those here), go swimming, and my mom would be home when I'm at school...she would get lots more exercise, hardly stay in the crate, and my mom would be there with her.But she'd have to endure 15 hours on an airplane though..
It would take 12 hrs to CA.That would be in the EVA airlines.And then we'd switch to AA(to go to TX)...so how would Duck be switched to the other plane?Does American Airlines allow dogs?And I'd appreciate any other info about traveling with dogs...and all the other stuff..

Egg,

Here are a couple of links on flying with your pet.

[url]http://www.interpetexplorer.com/html/flying.html[/url]

[url]http://www.sailcharbonneau.com/QuarantineImport.htm[/url]
(scroll to bottom of this one has alot of info on all country quarantine requirements)

Hope this helps and I will keep checking.

Guest Anonymous

Most US airlines dont fly dogs during the summer. It is against FAA regulation to fly a dog when it is about 85 degrees on the ground at either end. It is for the safety of the dog.
And please do NOT give a tranquilizer. The dog can get injured. It will be wobbly and could fall, etc. Get the dog used to the crate and it will be fine. I have flown dogs many times and have never had a problem.
There is no quarantine in the continental US. You will need a health certificate.

I'm originally from Japan, and I go back every summer, so before getting Luka, I had to look in through a lot of flight stuff. It would probably be better to in either the spring or summer, because airlines don't allow dogs to fly in really hot (85+) or cold weather. It would prolly be OK now, cuz if Taiwan is like Japan, it doesn't really get too cold. Plus, you would be going to CA and TX, so it would be warm. However, the sky is really cold, and the dogs are left in the cargo, where it's a lot colder. Each country embassy has different rules about quarantine, but they quarantine a dog for two weeks in Japan. This is because in Japan, rabies in dogs don't exist, and they want to keep it that way. I'm pretty sure there isn't one in the US< but I'm not sure, and it may depend. You also need a REALLY recent vet check-up before a flight (obviously). In your case, it's a 15 hour flight, but to go to Japan, it's 22+ hours! Well, if you ever want any other tips about flying, lemme know. I haven't actually flied with a pet yet, but I research a lot about long flights. This isn't like the cases where people bring their dogs on flight for a vacation in Florida or California or something (although I wish it was that close), so there's obviously a lot more stress for the dog. If you can, let Duck out for a walk in CA. You can always freeze water and put in in his crate for him to lick at. Dogs can also get flight sickness and ear aches like humans do. Makes sure you put a lot of ientification tags on your dog and on the crate. Make sure you have enough on, just in case some fall off during the transportation. Make sure there is no confusion about the identity of your dog, because I have actually heard of a couple of people who didn't properly ID a dog, and the dog got sent to another place. I've read about very rare law suit cases where a dog was never found or injured during a flight because of the lack of care. Try to ask people which airline they used, and how the outcome was.

Little fact: Japan is the second farthest country to travel to from the US. The farthest is Australia, by about 3 more hours.

GOOD LUCK! :laola: :banan: (I love this banana!)

As others have said, airlines restrict pets during the summer so if you can take her with you now I would do so.
I also agree with Sandyb, I'd stay away from tranqs for Duck.
Is Duck tattooed? Not essential but perhaps one more way to identify her should she get loose, pop out of her collar etc. Please don't think this WILL happen, extremely UNLIKELY to but just a suggestion for worst case scenario.
15 hours is a long time but it is also doable.
Good luck bring Duck to the U.S.!

Guest Anonymous

And no you would not be allowed to see or get to the dog while it is being transferred to a different plane/flight. It is against security procedures for a customer to be anywhere near the baggage area. And you would have to go back through security anyways. Would take too long. The baggage compartment where the dogs are put is pressurized and temp controlled just like the cabin. it is 30degrees below zero 35 thousand feet in the air.

Guest Anonymous

How long are you staying in the US?

Where in TX will you be (you can PM me)? The reason I ask is because I can call around for you to find out about quarantine times....I'm in Iowa but I get free long distance through my work. :wink:

Anyway, I'd have to call on Tuesday since it's Saturday and Monday is a holiday.

• 6 years later...

Hey!

Here I've found some interesting information from petslovershotels (.) (com)

[B]American Airlines[/B] advise people who travel with pets to [B]arrive unless four hours before the flight time, so you can do the check-in with extra time. [/B]
[B]This airline only admits cats and dogs except breeds consider aggressive or dangerous[/B]. In the [B]cabin can travel one kennel per passenger with 23" long x 13" wide x 9" high[/B], and the [B]pet can