Dogomania

USDA....One more time

TLCPETS

I think in 5 years there will be very few breeders under USDA.
Unlike 25 years ago when the AWA was passed and there was no internet
to sell puppies most big breeders used brokers to move large numbers at a time.Now the middle man gets a cut and the pet store also makes a little.
But with direct sales they get the whole thing and no USDA regulations.
Lots of breeders are selling now through the (retail pet store loophole) and more are going to join.25 years changes a lot of things.1 being all puppies come from brokers which is untrue.A lot of petstores buy direct and then resell.I think they can buy 25 puppies from the same breeder without the breeder being regulated.(Hobby breeder) I think.Since pet stores do not fall under USDA(retail pet store).The (hobby breeder) saves them quite a bit.
I think unless the loophole(retail pet store) is closed within 5 years brokers may not exist.Hence, bye- bye USDA and AWA.

Time to rethink????

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

There will still be local animal cruelty laws, and AKC inspections IF they stay with AKC. And I know in my local area,even the ones that say they get them from local breeders get them off of a semi. Some might get them from local breeders but the majority of pet stores still do get them from the big brokers like Hunte. My friend shopped in a local pet store for years to buy her dog food as it was near her. They also sold some puppies. She had over the years become friendly with the store owner. Oh where do you get your pups, oh local breeders. Then she went one day and saw the semi delivering pups.

Guest Anonymous

AKC sent a Representitive to the Hunte Facility. They furnished a written report touting the wonderful facility Hunte Operated. Hunte stated No pups were purchased from Millers. Right! The Rep was an AKC judge that has been the topic of conversation on many boards. It is safe to say that person will probably not have future judging assignments. Commercial operations are big bucks for AKC.
I will not buy pet food from any store that sells live pets. I refuse to support the industry.

Guest Anonymous

WD, your facts are incorrect. The judge that wrote the article was NOT a part of the HVB committee. She was just a nosey tagalong. Her comments are her own and not official AKC policy. She is an older lady that has never bred a litter in her life I dont think and if so 40 years ago. She is not with the times. So she was impressed with Huntes facility? big deal. She has NO clue that the real facilities that need checking are where the dogs actually live iow the people that sell to the brokers. And WHY does Hunte need such a medical facility? they talk about deworming and giving them all these medicines. And how many pups in pet stores need dewormings, have coccidia, giardia, kennel cough, lung problems? Because of the environment where htey where raised. I have NEVER had a pup have any of these things.

Guest Anonymous

This is a link to the actual story. The Kodner's have been into dogs for many years, breeding and judging. As an AKC judge she certainly put herself on the firing line.
[url]http://www.thedogplace.com/hotnews/side_effects-04.asp[/url]

Guest Anonymous

She might be a judge but she is not a breeder. And her comments are her own. yes I agree they are misguided, but NO WHERE does it say she is an official spokesman for the AKC.

Guest Anonymous

In further response to Sandyb. Mrs. Kodner was appointed to the commitee. Mrs. Kodner did write the article. She has done alot of breeding and is licensed for All breeds. According to all of the reports I have read, that is fact.

Guest Anonymous

Pasted from the article..

It seems that Mrs. Kodner (she's licensed to judge ALL BREEDS, folks) was appointed by the AKC to some sort of committee to see when/if/how to bring puppy mills, now called "Volume Breeders" into compliance. It appears from

Guest Anonymous

WD, please go to the HVB committee report. She is not listed as a member of the committee. and she is in no way shape or form a breeder. She might have bred a litter or two 40 years ago, that is the extent of it.

What I am saying is a lot has changed in 25 years since the AWA.I am sure pet store sales are down from the negative publicity.If there are no brokers,there would be no need for breeders to fall under USDA.
Times do change.There will always be USDA and AWA but without brokers
there will be very few breeders under USDA.

Guest Anonymous

Sandyb,
You are incorrect.
Mrs. Denny Kodner finished her first obedience dog in 1954. Her first Conformation dog in 1955. Her primary breed was German Shep. but she also had Dobermans, Schnauzers, Yorkies and Whippets. She finished over 20 Champions. She was also a professional handler. She has been an AKC judge for 25 years. Documented information.
If she is listed as part of the commitee I cannot say. SHE stated she was part of the commitee in a published article.

Guest Anonymous

Um NO the article stated incorrectly that she was. And so she finished dogs, yes she used to be a handler, breeder not really. She might have bred a couple of litters.

Guest Anonymous

Ok, This post was not about Mrs. Kodner so much as it was about Hunte Corporation and the AKC. It seems you have turned this into a Mrs. Kodner conversation by stating the following:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Um NO the article stated incorrectly that she was. And so she finished dogs, yes she used to be a handler, breeder not really. She might have bred a couple of litters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mrs. Kodner was a breeder that finished 20 Champions. She was a Professional Handler and she is an AKC judge. She actively judges every AKC breed at Best in Show level. She can't be too out of touch with dogs, breeding and Quality and maintain her judging license. She also writes Kodner's Corner for Dog News. I would venture to guess she has forgotten more about dogs than most of us will ever know. That established, the thought behind the original post is that Mrs. Kodner reported in a Dog News article that she visited the Hunte Operation and found it to be a wonderful place. As an AKC judge and a writer she has told the dog fancy that she supports Commercial breeding. What she says reflects on AKC. AKC had a meeting set up with Hunte that was postponed due to the 9-11 tragedy. I am unaware if that meeting took place.

Guest Anonymous

Sorry, she is a private citizen that happens to write a column of her opinions and happens to be a judge. That does not mean her opinion is the AKC's opinion.

Guest Anonymous

Watch Dog wrote:
As an AKC judge and a writer she has told the dog fancy that she supports Commercial breeding. What she says reflects on AKC

Sandyb wrote:
Sorry, she is a private citizen that happens to write a column of her opinions and happens to be a judge. That does not mean her opinion is the AKC's opinion.

Uhh Where did I say it is the AKC's Opinion???? The key word is "reflects".

I did read the HVB report and the basic jest I got from it is that AKC is going to maintain dialogue with Commercial breeders to keep their business, registering dogs AKC. It also sounds to me like they were impressed with the Hunte Operation.

Guest Anonymous

And we can all have our personal opinions on whether the AKC should register commercial breeder's dogs. Since the AKC inspection is one of the only inspection some of these breeders get, then I say good. These other pseudo registries don't do inspections.

Guest Anonymous

Sandyb,
I think you are simply wanting an argument. This has become ridiculous. I posted a comment. You jumped on it as incorrect. I posted the URL. Still not good enough. You totally ignored the subject of the post, which is the article, and chose to degrade the author. You are deliberately attempting to cause discourse. It's not going to happen so give it up.

Sandy B

UKC does do inspections, as well as CKC (canadian)... UKC has a certian level of expection of care and sportmenship just ask AKC does. Many AKC people participate in UKC hunt tests because they feel they are better organized and laid out even. UKC required DNA before AKC would even consider it. Personally I think the only way that the "good" breeders are ever going to be able to compete with the commercial breeders and byb is to step up to the plate and make themselves heard.

Guest Anonymous

Sorry, WD, I stand up for what is correct and I am correct in that that author did not have her facts straight. Kodner is not on the HVB committee. Never has been. Why are you finding that fact to be so difficult to swallow? I am not trying to fight, simply to make a correction.

Guest Anonymous

Sandyb
I really don't care if she was or was not on the commitee. Don't correct me, write in and correct her. She printed that she was on the commitee. I have already said that a couple times. I showed you the article she said it in. If she lied, I don't care. get it? It has nothing at all to do with the point of my post. This is getting tedious.
WD
"cast not ye pearls amongst swine"

I am so glad that my dogs are not registered with the AKC and never will be.

The AKC has become an evil empire, large Corporation, that is forever seeking monitary ways to feed the fat monster.

Backstabbing, badmouthing, clawing the way to the top, it's who-knows-who, who is sleeping with whom, well known handler (no matter that their dog really isn't the best, they win anyway for who they are), money - money and more money.

Maybe it started out being "all about the dog", but has grown past that into all about reaching and achieving the "golden dog".

[quote name='Hobbit']I am so glad that my dogs are not registered with the AKC and never will be.

The AKC has become an evil empire, large Corporation, that is forever seeking monitary ways to feed the fat monster.

Backstabbing, badmouthing, clawing the way to the top, it's who-knows-who, who is sleeping with whom, well known handler (no matter that their dog really isn't the best, they win anyway for who they are), money - money and more money.

Maybe it started out being "all about the dog", but has grown past that into all about reaching and achieving the "golden dog".[/quote]

Whats next?I think DNA ing all females is already on the books.
Then DNAing all puppies @ $40.00 each before litter registration can be
issued.I think then it wiill have integrity but will be above the average pet buyers reach since the DNA and the papers can not promise quality.