Dogomania

"Types" of German Shepherd Dogs

Black GSD

[quote name='Aga']excuse me for asking, but how much do they cost?[/quote]

How much do who cost? If you are talking about the Czech bred dogs. Most breeders sell their pups from Imported , titled sire and dam, for $1200 and UP. Though you can find dogs that are from Czech breeding such as import grandparents for $800 and up.

• 1 month later...

I don't have a GSD now, but a couple years ago I did, and he was the best dog ever!! However, I got him from an unreputable breeder that just did it for the money. :x "Kodak" was about 28-30" at the withers (shoulders), and didn't have that slant... but he had a great lookin' head! He looked like somebody put a GSD head on a Greyhound body or somethin'. :oops:

Well, I've done a lot of research on the breed since then, but I still got a couple questions...

When you're picking out a puppy (from a reputable breeder) how do you know which ones will look better, not necessarily show- quality, but like a GSD... not a deformed Greyhound. And, do the colors on the puppies stay the same as they grow older?? For example, if you wanted a GSD with a saddle, would the puppy have a saddle???

thx :wink:

[color=red][size=7]Welcome (if I haven't said it before) [/size][/color] :D

I don't know if GSDs' colours change as they get older. Rinny (our GSD X) had an almost entirely black face when he was younger, and it grew progessively more tan/sandy coloured as he aged. I am assuming they have markings and they stay that way.

I would also assume that a reputable breeder woould be out to produce structurally sound, show-quality pups every time, so you'd be unlucky to get a puppy with a "greyhound" like body. :wink:

Prairie Gurl,

Generally, when getting a pup from a reputable breeder, you won't have to worry about getting a "greyhound" looking dog. We all know genetics is a "cr@p shoot" at best. But generally, the pup will resemble the other dogs in the bloodline.

The color can change VERY drastically from the puppy color to the adult color. Again, look at the parents, if they are VERY tan with just a small black saddle, chances are that the pup could end up like that too.

If you were hoping for a pup that stays darker, go with parents that are darker (more black than tan.) The only way to know for SURE what color the pup will be as an adult, is to go with solid black (or white). And even with a black, it could still end up with some tan on the legs. With the black and tans, a puppy will ALWAYS be darker than it will as an adult. They gradually get more tan and less black with age. (Not their whole life but up to approx 2 years old).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Yeah,

When we adopted our GSD Travis from the shelter he was about 4 months old and was nearly all black. As he got older he grew into the standard GSD coat.

Its weird to look at his puppy pictures. You wouldn't even know its the same dog.

[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/67857/snoozing.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Black GSD']Prairie Gurl,

Generally, when getting a pup from a reputable breeder, you won't have to worry about getting a "greyhound" looking dog. We all know genetics is a "cr@p shoot" at best. But generally, the pup will resemble the other dogs in the bloodline.

The color can change VERY drastically from the puppy color to the adult color. Again, look at the parents, if they are VERY tan with just a small black saddle, chances are that the pup could end up like that too.

If you were hoping for a pup that stays darker, go with parents that are darker (more black than tan.) The only way to know for SURE what color the pup will be as an adult, is to go with solid black (or white). And even with a black, it could still end up with some tan on the legs. With the black and tans, a puppy will ALWAYS be darker than it will as an adult. They gradually get more tan and less black with age. (Not their whole life but up to approx 2 years old).[/quote]

Black Gsd We have 2 Gsd both rescue dog and so different from each other Jerry-lee is a large type straight back black,tan and silver with black saddle on his back ,Max is sloped back Black and dark tan mostly black and is small like a female ,we love them both jerry-lee is 4 ish vet couldn't give a approximate age as we got him from pound he was a stray ,max is 2 years old we got him from the owners at 6months old that brought him then said he was to much of a mischief and he still a mischief now ,acts like a puppy .[url][url=http://www.muchos.co.uk][img]http://muchos.co.uk/members/[url=http://www.muchos.co.uk][img]http://muchos.co.uk/members/angeliquestarr/Jerry-Lee%20_MAX.jpg[/img][/url]angeliquestarr/MAX1.jpg[/img][/url][/url]

• 4 weeks later...

Hello I am new here! I am wondering how to view the pictures you have posted! We have a Rottie and in a few years would like to get a German Shepard. We had the pleasure of babysitting one for a few months and absolutely fell in love with him. I would joke that his personality reminded me of Sean Connerry as James Bond. Very cool and composed with self confidence and lots of style. His name is Whiskey and he would sit on the deck and gaze out over the ocean and neighborhood with constant vigilance. A neighbour dog used to always jump our fence to come and play with our Rottie. Not that I'm a big meanie but I was trying to discourage this and would always chase him away. Anyways,the dog came over and I started to chase him away and before I knew it,Whiskey was right beside me and he SUCEEDED in chasing that dog right back to his own yard. That dog never dared to jump our fence again. Whiskey knew exactly how to handle the situation! I was so impressed. He kept our yard in perfect order for the months he was with us. Even the birds didn't go near our garden! Our friend had found Whiskey at the pound so we don't really know what kind of Shepard he is. He is quite large with long front paws and a big Wolfy snout. (he was "thick boned" if that makes sense) Very thick coat and Beige/ Black coloration. I hope someone reads this! Have a good day,dog lovers!

:D

You have some great information on German Shepards, do you know anything about Alsatian Shepards, my mother had one and she was the greatest. My mom could ALWAYS trust her instinct, she was very dependable, trustworthy, great with children, loved to chase her ball for literally hours. The Shepard she has now is very shy and timid, Shelby was never shy or timid, she loved HER kitty's. She saw a stray cat trying to beat up her kitty and went to help him out.

:angel:

• 1 month later...

Rosebud,

I hope you see this. Sorry it took me so long to reply. I have been busy with my new pup and haven't been on the site lately.

Anyway, there is no such thing as an Alsatian Shepherd. "Alastian" is what German Shepherds WERE called in, (I believe England and maybe other areas close to there.) Around WW2.

They didn't want ANYTHING to so with anything associated with the Germans.
So they changed the name
The personality difference you see is just the difference in the breeding of the dogs. I have had several GSDs, including the 2 I have now, and they have ALL acted totally different.

Guest Anonymous

Hi everyone, I am a newbie on this board. I also have GSD. At the present time we have five three of them are all working dogs the other two are more *Companion* animals. Not enough drive to do Schutzhund.

I was reading over the topic since it is about GSD and I would love to see the pictures but all I am getting is a red X? Does anyone know how I can view these?

We also do Schutzhund and also are working one in the French Ring sport and so far he is holding his own against the Malinois. He is an awesome dog but the higher up he competes he does not stand a chance compared to the Malinois

I often get the dreaded red X at work but not at home. Could be something to do with computer capabilities but sometimes people link pics from sites (not sure that's how its done here but I think so) and then later the site gets changed and the pic is no good anymore. Maybe BlackGSD will come along sometime and post a few more pics for us. Can you see other pics, perhaps in the Pictures forum?
WELCOME.

Dog Paddle is EXACTLY right. The site I used to post the pictures went weird/away. :roll: (Not sure which.)

At any rate. I will put some pictures on another site and start a new "types of GSDs" thread so the pictures will be on the first post. Hopefully I will get to it today.

• 2 months later...