Dogomania

"Types" of German Shepherd Dogs

Black GSD

This dog is a Czech import. AND the sire of the puppy I am getting! :D :D :D [img]http://www.gsdring.com/albums/album07/Xero_Stand.jpg[/img]

This dog is a West German Working Dog.
[img]http://www.gsdring.com/albums/album07/TrollBN.jpg[/img]

This dog is a West German Show dog. This dog won the German Seiger Show in 2001 and 2002. ( Basically Best of Breed at the German National Specialty)
[img]http://www.gsdring.com/albums/album07/yasko_farbenspiel.jpg[/img]

And finally, this dog is an American Show dog. He is an AKC champion and was Select at the 2002 German Shepherd Dog Club of America national Specialty in 2002.
[img]http://www.gsdring.com/albums/album07/American_show_gsd.jpg[/img]
Not only do they look very different, they also tend to have VERY different temperments. Likewise the main colors are different. If you want more info on the differences or anything else, PLEASE let me know.

[quote]Not only do they look very different, they also tend to have VERY different temperments. Likewise the main colors are different. If you want more info on the differences or anything else, PLEASE let me know.[/quote]

Me me me!

I've only really been around American "pet" GSDs, they don't have the shorter legged look I have been seeing in show pics. Recently I met a black GSD - wow! He's just beautiful.

What color will yours be? Like the one on top?

I'd love to hear more about the different colors/temperaments/styles of the GSD. Very interesting![/quote]

OK, Where do I start? First and most important (to me), The puppy will be either like the sire (the "top dog") or solid black. The mother is black.

Keep in mind that what I am about to say is "generalizing". NOT set in stone. :D

The Czech dogs tend to be either Sable (like the top dog) or Black. Of course there are black and tan and Bi-color ones too. (For those that don't know Bi-Color is Black and Tan but with markings like a Dobe or Rott ONLY. ) Like the second dog in the first post. They also tend to have very serious personalities. More and more police and military K-9s are Czech imports. The Czech dogs are bred to be POLICE dogs, not pets or show dogs. Not saying that they are bad in the house but the HAVE to have a job. They can be hard to handle. And Are NOT recommended for a first time GSD owner.

The West German working dogs tend to be most any color (black and tan, black, sable, Bi,) They can also be fairly HIGH DRIVE. Always need to be doing something. Some don't make the best house dogs for this reason. They can be good police dogs too. Most (Almost ALL) of the top Schutzhund dogs
are West German Wroking dogs.

West German Show dogs are bred to be (the German version of) "Pretty". MOST are Black and Red. If you look at a group of them, they look like they all came from the same factory. They are fairly strict on the size requirements so there isnt' that much size variation. They DO have to be able to get a Schutzhund title OR a HGH which is a German Herding title. BUT , just because they do Sch does NOT mean that they make good police dogs. To most of these dogs Schutzhund is a game. They are no more likely to bite someone than your neighbors Golden Retriever. They can be a little higher in drive that an American dog. But Seem to make better pets than the Working bred dogs.

American Show Dogs are also bred to be ("the American version of) "Pretty". Personally, I disagree. I think they look "funny". Dogs are NOT ment to walk/trot with their hocks touching the ground. They tend to have softer temperments. Can even be shy (Though the show breeders are trying to remedy this). They got to where Pretty was THE most important thing. They are starting to realize that temperment IS important too. They can tend to be "nervous acting". They tend to make poor protection dogs and the chances of them having the temperment and drives necessary to be a police dog are basically slim and none.

There are also DDR dogs. They were the East German dogs. They tend to be bigger (think big heads and heavier bones) than the West German dogs.) They were more like the Czech dogs. In fact the Czech dogs trace to the DDR dogs. East Germany was where the Czechs got their dogs before the wall came down.

Then there are crosses of the "types". For instance, my current Black female, is American and West German show mixed. She will play fetch for HOURS if allowed. Or go for a walk ( I walk, she runs/trots) for several hours. But, she is also perfectly happy to lay on the couch ALL DAY. She does NOT require exercise. By this I mean that she will NOT destroy things or get into trouble if I don't run her for an hour a day. She has the IDEAL "pet" disposition for most "normal" households.

Keep in mind also that ALL of the differnet types trace to the SAME dogs. The "Origional" "" Fathers (and mothers) of the breed". Just goes to show you what personal reference can do.

Clear as Mud right? Again, If I can help further, let me know.

Tracy

I agree, that slopey back end just looks unnatural . . . broken. Yuck. I love the more square look of the body and head of the Czech and German dogs. Personally I prefer sable but black is very nice too. The American Show GSD looks to made up and fake. Hope the breeders have success working through those temperment issues.
Definately some important issues to think about if we do get a GSD or GSDx rescue (in at least 5 years).
A freind of ours has a GSD, definately from one of the Czech or German lines - more squarish body and head. They are working on their Shutzhund stuff. Mordecai is a dream in the house, very polite when he visits us, great with our puppy and our cats but Andrew has worked with him alot.

[quote name='yellowlabsrule']You are getting a puppy? When?

Why are GSD's back end so much lower? What's the working purpose?

Is it just me or does the last one have a little to much slant? (It's almost sitting! :o )
Sorry about all the questions, I don't know much about GS dogs. :oops:[/quote]
YES!!!! I am getting a puppy. The bitch is due Feb. 9th. As long as there is a suitable MALE puppy in the litter, I will be getting HIM at 7 weeks. So should be the beginning of April.

Have to go before I burn dinner. :mad: Will answer the rest of your questions later. :D

[quote name='yellowlabsrule']

Why are GSD's back end so much lower? What's the working purpose?

Is it just me or does the last one have a little to much slant? (It's almost sitting! :o )
Sorry about all the questions, I don't know much about GS dogs. :oops:[/quote]
The angulation (sloped back) is just the way they are. I really don't knwo "WHY". But if you ever see a GSD do a REAL trot. There is NOTHING like it. No other breed moves the way they do. I will fid a picture tomorrow so you can see what I mean.

YES, the last dog is WAY "slanted". That is strictly an "American" thing. And truth be told, it does seem as if the American Show breeders are trying to move away from the dogs being SOOO "slanted". And thank gosh the American dogs are getting better in the "head department". For a while the heads on the american dogs were AWEFULL! They looked more like Collies than German Shepherds.

IMO the main problem with the Show breeders, is that they breed what wins in the ring. If the judges put up dogs like that last dog, the breeders think "If I want to win, I have to breed dogs that look like that". When in actuality, if all of the dogs looked like the first dog, there would STILL be a winner.

[quote name='Mei-Mei']I know that in Europe they have a color called Black and Creme, which is rare in the States.

[/quote]

The reason the Black and Cream and Black and Silver is called "Rare" in the states is because it really is a fault. Pale and washed out colors are NOT desireable. Same with the Blue and Tan and Liver and Tan. Blue and Liver are a disqualification in the show ring. There are folks that breed for these colors in the states, but their digs are generally hideous looking. We all know what happens when people breed only for color. :mad:

[quote name='DogPaddle']I agree, that slopey back end just looks unnatural . . . broken. Yuck. I love the more square look of the body and head of the Czech and German dogs. Personally I prefer sable but black is very nice too. The American Show GSD looks to made up and fake. Hope the breeders have success working through those temperment issues.
[/quote]

I think the "super slant" is awefull too. We used to call them "Ski Jump Backs". You should see them walk (especially when they are puppies). They walk like their legs are held on with rubber bands. All wobbily(sp), like their muscles aren't really muscles, but are really JELLO.

[quote name='DogPaddle'] Personally I prefer sable but black is very nice too. [/quote]
HOPEFULLY, my puppy will be a VERY dark Black sable. That is what I am hoping for. BUT getting the right temperment is still more important, SO I did tell the breeder to pick the "Right" pup for me. However, if it comes down to being hard to choose, and one is Sable and the other is Black, CHOOSE THE SABLE! :D

[quote name='DogPaddle']Will you be doing Schutzhund with your new boy when you get him?[/quote]Yes, that is the plan. Actually I plan on doing a ton of things with him. I HAVE to do AKC obedience, just so that the general public can see what a REAL German Shepherd looks like. LOL

I am also going to show him in conformation (at least a few times just for fun, AGAIN so "Joe Public" can see the difference). It really just bothers me that when your "average" dog person is interested in a certain breed they are ALWAYS told "go to a dog show". If they happen to be interested in a GSD, and they go to a dog show what do they see??? Dogs like the "super slant" in the 4th picture. So naturally they think that all GSDs are supposed to look like that. How are people supposed to see the difference if someone like me doesn't get their "real" GSD out in public??? :)

:lol: I love the chech version of a shepherd. They are so pretty. What breeder are you getting your pup from. Does she have a website we can see? THat is what I want. I have 2 siberian huskies and if you know huskies they are not protection dogs, MIne will lick any stranger that comes to the house. They are intimidating looking though. I want a dark sable german shepherd to join my family. I had one when I was growing up the german version and it was the best dog ever. I would love to know more about the difference.

The breeder I am getting mine from is at [url]www.vandenheuvelk9.com[/url] Just about as far from you as you can get. lol I lived in SC for 3 years from 1985 to 1988. If you want I can list some more links for breeders of Czech GSds. Just let me know.

Believe ME, I DO know Huskies. My ex-stepfather had Huskies. Very beautiful to look at, But just my cup of tea. :D