Dogomania

Can you guess what i am?

bullygirl29532

Guest Anonymous

There are a host of breeds tht could have contributed to a dog like this, it is very unique and beautiful though. The rust markings could come from about several breeds large enough to contribute the size (rottie, dobie, gordon, beauceron, tibetan, manchester, and a few others. The coat does resemble an ACD or catahoula whatever the breeds the result is very nice.

Great pic.
:black:

He looks like a Catahoula mix. The coat looks like it is a too heavy for a Catahoula. They have coats like a Dobe or Dalmaitian. And the Coloring is NOT a color that is in the ACD. If not a Cat cross then maybe a Australian Shepherd mix. If I HAD to pick a mix, I would say Rott and Catahoula.

[quote name='yellowlabsrule']I don't see how it possibly can, because the AWD is endangered! How would a rott meet up with a endagered wild dog in africa??? :o My guess is a rott/Australian shepard cross. I also don't see any dalmatian in that dog.[/quote]
No one said they say ant Dal in that dog. If you are refering to what I said, I said that Catahoulas had a coat like a Dobe or DAL.

Also, Bully Girl. IMO they are guessing at this dogs breed, As I said before ACDs do NOT come in Blue Merle. They also have brown eyes. On the otherhand, with Catahoulas or Australian Shepherds, blue eyes are very common.
Please don't think I am trying to be arguementative here, that is NOT the case. I just know first hand how the folks at shelters can be when they are trying to GUESS a dogs breed.

Several years ago I had a Catahoula that escaped and was picked up and taken the the Humane Society. I had gone there BEFORE they had picked up the dog and left a description of her. They never called me. I would call them and they said there was no dog there fitting my description. Well, I went back and Low and behold she was there. They had her down as a Beagle Mix! GIVE ME A BREAK!! She weighed 65 lbs. and was 25 inches tall. I am NOT trying to put down the people that do this work. I am just saying that they are not always the best at guessing the breeds that may be involved in a cross. Also if the dog is an owner surrender, they go by what the owner tells them even if the owner is just guessing.

I think I changed my mind. I think Black GSD is right and it's a Catahoula/cross. Here's a pic that looks a lot like that dog
[img]http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/dogbreeds/photos/louisianacatahoulaleoparddogs.jpg[/img]
And a website [url]http://www.catahoula.cc/ourdogs.htm[/url]
And the original dog:
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SAARA7gWjVRhs*21orADCbDEjF*pVFmU*feKr5FnE9gkdjEua6zSocx3LvmHp*x87dGoF4aRoDRIOUauZt8uPWOvz0M!kUVpcwkgWNnztGovAAAAcXKOAg/shepherd_mix.jpg?dc=4675405174546418010[/img]
Maybe a catahoula/rott cross?

[quote name='bullygirl29532']Yes yes ain't he cute and your right he's an Rott X ACD.[/quote]

I know I'm late....but wanted to reinterate: that is NOT an ACD. ACD's do not have blue eyes, nor do they come in that merle pattern. It's a pet peeve, so forgive me for ranting.

ACD's NEVER have blue eyes, unless they are cross bred. They NEVER have a merle coat pattern, unless they are cross bred. :wink:

He does, however look like a Catahoula Leopard Dog.

Koolie, I'm with you --- he's beautiful and I love that color.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Foster']My first question would be what is his size? I am not sure I see rott in this dog. I can see aussie/catahoula but not rott. Of course if the dog is bigger than what it looks in the photo, maybe it could be rott.

I would also suggest maybe a bc mix of some sort.[/quote]

Really? All I see is Rottie!

Bc's come in many different shapes and colors. And many times look similar to an aussie. I could have sworn I saw a dog this weekend that was an aussie with a tail, wrong...a few of us thought this. We asked and it was a bc.

Also, bc's can have striking blue eyes - of course these are the blues and reds. They can also be smooth haired. To me the body shape looked more bc than aussie unless the aussie was from working lines in which case it looks leaner.

So anytime people say it must be a aussie mix, I always think it could also be a bc mix and vice versa.

One of these days, I will have to post some pics of my bc mix and see if anyone can guess what her other half is...and then I will post a pic of her sister and see what people say.

Does I make any sense?

Guest Anonymous

by BC do you mean Border Collie? I would hope not look at the size of the dog now look at the coat, the rottie is a given because of the body type, so we are basically now trying to figure out the other breed.

Guest Anonymous

I just had a scary thought, a dog the size of a rootweiler with the energy of a little herding breed. Dear god, they are not ready, TRAIN HIM!!! for the love of doG please train him.

yes, that IS a scary thought!!

This dog is absolutely stunning; so not typically good-looking but has a gorgeous, unique charm. I'd take him home in a flash. 8)

I can definitely see Rotty and Catahoula in there... to me he looks like a Rotty with splashes of grey and black paint on him :angel: