Dogomania

silly puppy questions

humboldt505

just a few silly questions about puppies, what age do most puppies begin to lose their teeth? At three months, my puppy is learning so many commands, should i keep teaching her more, or keep a slow pace with her? What are good ways to stop her from barking for attention? Is there any way to know how large a mutt puppy will be, can you judge by height or weight at a cartain age? The vet said, Humboldt my "husky mix" girl that looks nothing like a husky, will be 50 to 90 lbs, but hat seems a very broad guess, i was wondering if there is a way to get more specific.
thanks, i am new to the world of puppies.

mh, she has the brown color of a german shepard, with a lighter brown mask on her face, she has short lab like fur, two white paws and a white star on her chest, a grey two inch ring around her neck, she also has black eyes, with black fur around them and a black stripe on her back....half pointed ears and a deep chest, with a big wrinkley forehead. it paints a messy picture but once i can get a picture maybe guesses will be better. whoever her parents where, i know i was meant to have her, or she to have me.

Guest Anonymous

I don't think any puppy questions are really "silly", if your new to the puppy world, by all means, ASK AS MANY AS YOU CAN!!

As for the training, I think, like Bully said, go over what she know, but like with my Hazel, I always add in a new trick every now and then. For maybe a week straight (since Hazel's four and know quite a lot) we'll work on something she's been having trouble with (right now it would be "stay") and spend a couple minutes on that each day. Then, maybe by the fifth day or so, when she seems to be improving lots, I'll add in a new trick, then the next day of training, skip the "stay" lesson, and teach just the new trick. Day after that, add in Stay and new trick. I like to always keep her guessing, makes things funner. She never knows when she's going to get a treat (Thanks Gooey, I think it was you who gave me that advice) and she never really knows what trick she'll be learning each lesson.
Also try moving around while training. Don't just practice in one area. If you feel your pup is learning quickly, try those tricks she "knows" at a different place. (there's a link to a site that explains this better that I posted under "Green Eggs & Ham, & Dog Training?"

Guest Anonymous

Ofcourse you can keep teaching her new stuff as long as you don't try to teach her to many new things at once, repeats the old stuff and keep the learning fun!

Guest Anonymous

I heard a statement once that said they are half their final weight at 4 months. Not sure how accurate that is but for my pup it seems to be coming true. She was 8.5lbs at 4 months and now she is almost a year at about 16 lbs, and she could stand to gain a little more. It is a pretty rough guestimate I am sure. Works with kids too, supposedly they are half their final height at 2 years.

Guest Anonymous

AS I SAID:

"It is a pretty rough guestimate I am sure."

I doubt it would work on extremely large breeds given they do not grow as fast. It seems as though she is speaking of a medium sized breed, and it may be closer than the 50-90lb range the vet gave.

thanks everyone, i know the rule for childrens groth that is why i was wondering if there was a way to aply it to dogs. Can anyone answer the puppy tooth question, At what age do dogs lose their puppy teeth? I guess not having a clear idea of how big she will be will give me another thing to look forward to.

What's the deal with the eventual dog size and foot size thing?
Someone told me that their feet my grow but the size of their ankle won't change much and you can try to determine their size by extrapolating from their. We're they pulling my leg.

Humboldt505 - Kavik (BC) lost his teeth starting at 4 months and Tyr (GSD/Malamute) lost his first at 5 1/2 months.