Dogomania

USDA....Retail Pet Store

TLCPETS

[quote name='Hobbit']TLC --- have you, you personally, actually read the Animal Welfare Act?

Read the rules and reg's.[/quote]

Well,I was licensed by USDA for quite a few years.Yes,I have read it a number of times.But since I never brokered or sold puppies wholesale why should I be classified like all USDA licensed breeders are tagged.

[quote]Or are you going by what someone has told you? [/quote]

I only know what my ex-inspecter told me and he was somehow under the impression it was an inevitability.He said the groups would never quit and had the money to keep it up as long as they needed to.

[quote name='Poofy']I am sitting on the edge of the razor on this topic. I think that they need rules, but the rules they have stink. Firstly, the USDA as well as local agriculture officials, already have more work then they can handle. They are so over worked that they can only "catch" the bad guys when they are liscensed...well...what if they don't get liscensed...they don't have the time or money to persue them...especially if they are breeding on a small scale. This is where I think that AKC should pick up the slack...they need to be willing to provide inspectors (CFA and TICA do it), for areas that have laws and need help inforcing them. I also think that the breed clubs and AKC ought to RE-WRITE the dog breeding rules, as it would apply to a breeder. Some of the requirements, right now, with my own state, make it very difficult to house dogs like I think they should be housed. The laws in my state are pretty lax too, compared to some...I dread what they might bring in if DDAL gets its way...
Its all a bunch of bureaucracy. If those who were members of the national breed club, could be inspected by inspectors for the club, and be exempt from inspection from the state...I think that would help...but then we would be getting into another area, of possible polical agenda huh????[/quote]

I also am very concerned and sitting on razors.My entire operation was built with my ex-inspecters help.But if we never agree on anything then it will go down to state by state having different rules to play by.It may be almost impossible to have a small number of dogs in one state while the neighboring state has almost no rules.

[quote name='Poofy']yeah, but if they presented to the public, the BILLIONS in tax dollars that it is gonna cost for those regulations...they would probably change their tune...mighty quick...[/quote]

I disagree.It's for the good of mans best friend and cost is irrelevant.What would the cost to you and me amount to per year $1.00-$2.00 maybe?
Remember this is not about breeding practices but the welfare of dogs in general.

Guest Anonymous

TLC, I respectfully disagree with you. If they knew the cost, then by
God they sure would sing a different tune. This happens all the time in my state. They are presented with a project and say sure sounds good but when they see how it will affect thier pocketbook ie tax dollars, they sing a completely different tune. And I agree with poofy, there is NO WAY this could be enforced with the present budget. For gosh sakes, children in my state and many others are dying in foster care or disappearing because there is not enough money for the child services system and the case workers have too much workload. The review of our state's child welfare office concluded just that but you know what? their budget is getting reduced NOT increased because people dont want new taxes.